Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's to goddamn trial....is it a "tribunal" type of ADSL trial or something?

Options
  • 24-11-2001 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I don't get it. Eircom were set to launch ADSL with the iStream monicker 2 months ago, and "apparently" were stopped by the ODTR.

(i) The initial and obvious thing to everyone including myself was that the price was 3x too high with a goddamn cap

(ii) What sort of missed people (I think) is that maybe they just haven't done jack **** at all in upgrading the exchanges and knew that by pricing it high the ODTR would freak out so they could stall a little longer as they knew they hadn't any product to offer really.

I am wondering why after 3 years it seems that major centres in Dublin are not ADSL-ready. How ****ign hard is it? You start say in Dublin 1, upgrade all of them and just eb done with it. Then Dublin 2, and so on. That would be nice and logical, in predicted areas, they could give a good timescale.

Eventually they will back down on prices, and *then* start to upgrade the exchanges? That's what it seems with the "trials" on again. What the utter **** is left to trial?

Or is this going to be another load of crap because they took so long, and they will dump ADSL for SDSL or something else like they did with the original 1998 trials.

And everytime they delay so long that new tech comes out, so it's new "trial" time.
    Home of the most advanced communications in the world my ass......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Out of interest, does anyone know how many exchanges are in Ireland?

And then the cost of the DSLAM (the piece of kit for the exchange - I think that's the acronym ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

One Hotwire 8600 DSLAM STACKABLE HIGH DENSITY, and that $2000 kind sir.

Can be bought on the web..cool.

Originally posted by chernobyl
    One Hotwire 8600 DSLAM STACKABLE HIGH DENSITY, and that $2000 kind sir.

Can be bought on the web..cool.

That IS cheap. We should have a Christmas appeal :D £20 will buy this poor Internet user five minutes on-line........ £2000 will connect a whole community to broadband!

If I had the cash, could I spend a couple of grand on a telecom's license and another two on the DSLAM and ask Eircom to let me in the exchange and connect it? When you see the cost of the equipment and how simple it could be you realise just how childish Eircom are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If I had the cash, could I spend a couple of grand on a telecom's license and another two on the DSLAM and ask Eircom to let me in the exchange and connect it?

Literally, no, but ultimately that's the idea of LLU. Bitstream is different though - when Eircom stop whinging and settle for reasonable prices with the Regulator (and it's only a matter of time) pretty much anyone with a good business plan and a few clever people will be able to set up as a reseller of Eircom products. Mom and Pop ISP's are unlikely, but not impossible. I've said it a few times - there's more than 150 resellers of BT's DSL product in the UK, and probably more reselling FRIACO products. It's going to take some time, but we'll get there.

adam

(Note to self: Write business plan. :))

(Wouldn't that be a hoot? IrelandOffline On-Line. :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Knock!Knock!Knock! Hello ?

this is Eircom we are dealing with is it not ?

MS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Well basically I can't understand why all those people on the new Trials thread are saying that they are being refused because the line isn't up to it, etc., and those are comments from all over Dublin if you look through them, from Whitehall to Blanchardstown, there's a massive amount of large areas mentioned by individuals.

No way were Eircom ready to launch in October, that was just PR nonsense obviously. They can't even trial people over the vast majority of Dublin - WTF have they really been doing? OK, I know nothing is the answer........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

thers about 55 exchanges with about 20 of them in dublin, but dont quote me.

i know its some stupid number like that.

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    thers about 55 exchanges with about 20 of them in dublin, but dont quote me.

i know its some stupid number like that.

That would make one exchange in most of the other counties, which doesn't sound right. I looked at the front of the phone book this morning and there's a list of nearly 300 places in Ireland and their dialing codes. My local exchange is on the list, and its not a large city or town. Add in a few extra because the big cities will have several exchanges. No more than 400?

I can't understand why all those people on the new Trials thread are saying that they are being refused because the line isn't up to it

There's two important factors here Red Moose, kind of opposing but relevant nonetheless:

1) Ireland's PSTN network is screwed. Maintenance levels were shoddy at best and non-existant at worst over the last few years, while Eircom spent all their money on branding[1], and of course paying their directors outrageous performance bonuses for, well, whatever the opposite of "performance" is. Eircom didn't maintain the network, they waited for stuff to break and then fixed it. And "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't work with something like a PSTN network.

2) Coming at it from the opposite angle here, but remember who's doing the line tests here. Without standing next to the operator when they perform the line test, we don't actually know if they're hitting that button. I just hope there's been some clauses built-in to Eircom's licence on this for when bitstream hits the big time, otherwise there's going to be a hell of a lot of court cases.

adam

[1] And a lot of good it's doing them these days, thanks in part to IO.

thers about 55 exchanges with about 20 of them in dublin

I'm afraid not Boston. Exchanges in Ireland run into the hundreds, with over thirty exchanges in Dublin already DSL-enabled.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Also remember current delays are being held up by another "trial" of sorts that will be reconveining in the High Court on Dec. 6th.

I would suspect the trials are getting a bit more publicity so they dont dampen the (little) enthusiasm the public have @ this stage for anything from €ircom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Just as a matter of interest, what publicity have these trials got?

Other than sending letters to certain individuals it seems they have kept it hush hush.

Hmm, I wonder if all these line test failures are just to fob off the majority of people who didnt get any literature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Originally posted by 80project
    Also remember current delays are being held up by another "trial" of sorts that will be reconveining in the High Court on Dec. 6th.

I seem to remember in a recent article that the ODTR and Eircom will be back in the court on Nov 29, dont't know if that's a minor hearing or not, but if I could get there, I would. Tried on the high court website, but they only list a day in advance, from what I can see.

E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by dahamsta
    and of course paying their directors outrageous performance bonuses for, well, whatever the opposite of "performance" is.

I think youll find its non performance, antiperformance, apathy, stupidity, laziness, and all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect that (down the country) there will be one exchange for each charge group, That is towns and cities aside. You will find the charge groups at the front of a non-01 phone book. You might also just look up Eircon in the book and see if Exchanges have their own phone numbers listed. QED.

I think youll find its non performance, antiperformance, apathy, stupidity, laziness, and all of the above.

Actually, I prefer "incompetence" myself, sort of a fitting catch-all, don't you think? It just didn't seem to fit that time. :)

adam

Originally posted by ekehoe

I seem to remember in a recent article that the ODTR and Eircom will be back in the court on Nov 29, dont't know if that's a minor hearing or not, but if I could get there, I would.

E

I thought it was sometime in december but I'm not sure. You could be right about that being ancilliary to the main argument.

**EDIT
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33176&highlight=court

Heres the thread w/ the link to the Court Report of the original hearing. It says December- whether that still stands who knows?

**/EDIT

BTW, AFAIK they the courts service (www.courts.ie) has never listed cases in advance because of the amount of cases that are eventually thrown out or settled pre-trial- ie.personal injury etc., thus the lists would become redundant very quickly. Although w/ the www these days you'd think they could run it off a database:rolleyes:

Although w/ the www these days you'd think they could run it off a database

The government uses Front Page for most of their sites man! :)

adam

"Administration of State Functions"

and

"The Easy Way"

.....never:p

These words are officially banned in hiberno-english dialect from appearing in the same sentence;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 daithi54

Thought you might like to know, there are almost 1100 (eleven hundred) exchanges in Ireland. Some are very small and service very small rural communities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement