Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM

• 16-06-2000 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭

a few quick questions:

I have a machine at home which is running on a 66mhz bus, but has a mere 32 mb ram.

since the bus is 66mhz is it the case then that this machine cann only take 66mhz dimms which are nearly impossible to obtain ??

c22

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

No not at all. PC100 or PC133 will run fine on it although the latter is a little bit expensive to put into a machine only capable of 66Mhz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

one final bit to this question .
    i remember ihearing that it is not possible to mix & match ram, i.e. if i have a 66mhz dimm already i cant add 100 mhz,
    tho logic says this is not correct i just wann be sure ..
    anybody ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I dont think you can put different types of RAM into the one computer, I tyhink the computer will automatically Pick which ones to use.... of else not work at all.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

afaik you can put different sped ram into your pc, but it will still only run at 66mhz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You can definately put 66mhz and 100mhz ram in the same 66mhz machine. No problems. Obviously if you put the 66mhz in a 100mhz machine, it will fall over smile.gif Maybe thats what he was thinking of?
    Quozl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

There was a huge thread about this a few months back, but I'm not going into all that again. Suffice it to say that there was no set PC-66 standard, your board may be set to use JEdec or Non Jedec compliant Ram, registered/non-registered etc..
    So there is no gaurantee that any one 100Mhz dimm will work, there's more to it than a question of FSB speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

Everybody says don't count on it working. You should check exactly what kind of RAM you have and check with your board's manufacturer to be sure.

I myself have 32MB of 66 RAM and 128MB or 100 RAM and have had no problems.

Advertisement