Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambassador Club Last night.......anyone go???????

Options
  • 24-11-2001 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

c'mon, someone must've went.....im dying to hear whether it was good or not.....also is it gonna be on again ????:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Well I didn't go, and I don't know of anyone who did .. or even who heard about it .. like I said in my thread on it, looks like it wasn't promoted too good, which is a shame.

But I would like to hear from someone who did go, so I posted this crap to keep yer thread active ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

yeah, meself and herself went, but after a hard days work AND doing my show on phantom, I was a bit wrecked and the security wouldnt let anyone upstairs to sit down. music seemed to be good but there was about 40 people in the venue when i was there. we stayed about an hour, luckily our tickets were free!!

Sean D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I gather its Full Tilt on Friday you're talking about.
    I went and it was a huge, expensive dissapointment.

It was basically Dominion with less people, bigger floor and more expensive. It was all goth/industrial music with not a hint of the promised metal/punk/alternative stuff that is played in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

yeah but in saying that, goth and industrial does piss all over anything else that was advertised

if you want punk or metal, or even alternative, theres always blast on saturdays :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Where is this "blast" you speak of?

Seriously, I have been bitching and moaning that there are like NO alternative music clubs in this 'burgh on the weekends and now it seems there may be many and I'm just a putz in the dark ...

... SO if anyone wants to post a sweet little list of Clubs that DON'T play Steps, Destiny's Child and westlife in contsant rotation .. then by all means ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Myself and the chief have done a couple of DJ sets in fibbers/baccus/whatever its called on parnell st. I usually play some fibbers classics, but mostly stuff from my show on phantom i try to mix old school metal/nu metal/indie/nu punk etc..and whatever else i like thats around at the mo'. We might get a monthly slot on fibs, we might not, we dont know yet, but youse guys should check us out sometime. we were offered a friday night in december, but we may push it banck to the new year.....stay tuned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭stigma

I am going to keep this short and sweet! speaking as goth ! IT WAS ****E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    having gone to fulltilt in the electric ballroom before and knowing it rocks and then comparing it to Firday ! no "GOTH" music was played it was all wishy washy wannbe techno new/dark wave ebm crap!!!!!!! they played alittle industrial and nothing esle even after we asked rex the dj! I do have to thank Phantoms own MICKO for the Tickets! and the place would have been empty only for most people got in for free and they were handing out double passes in Bruxcells before hand!!! Dominion on saturday! actually didnt fall into the same trap and played it usual techno techno techno nothing under 222 bpm junk! but thanks to DJ`S Tony Molloy and Orla was had a night of real gothic tunes and some good old industrial! I can only speak from my experience`s of club I have attended in London and Dublin also the ones I have organise myself in Fibbers and other venues around Dublin (http://stigma@gothic.ie) FULLTILT if they ever do decide to do it again better think harder and longer before they make the same mistakes again!

ignore the rant and typos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Personaly, I think Dominion is better than anything I've been to in London.

I'm not a fan of the whole EMB stuff at all. I think it's dire...

Gimmie Fields Of The Nephelim any day! Some good old Bauhaus, Sisters...

I really hope Dominion doesn't go too EMB, as I've seen it ruin a perfectly brilliant club over in London.
    Anyone been to Slimelight?
    Best Goth club in the world about a year ago.
    Now it's just crap, with nothing but really ****e EMB rubbish...

yeah, i agree with you, Dominion is rather horrorshow.....but what is this slimelight you so eloquently speak of??? yarblockos:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Busby

I used to go when I lived in London 3 years ago and yes it was an amazing place. You'd see the most out there looking people. Leather clad dominatrix, people looking like the Residents with large eyeball heads, I used to see a guy that dressed like a baby with nappy, big dummy sucker thing and all. The music was kickin too. It's where I heard Coil being played for the first time. I'm not sure that Slimelight could exist in Dublin, this city isn't half big enough. No freaks in Dublin anyway. Thanks for reminding me anyway.

• Advertisement

oh **** yesssss!!!!! off to uni in london in 9 mnths!! rahhh!!! cant wait now!!:p :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Eyeliner__Boy
    if you want punk or metal, or even alternative, theres always blast on saturdays :p:p:p

God I hope that triple smiley thing means you were joking.

Originally posted by Busby
    I used to go when I lived in London 3 years ago and yes it was an amazing place. You'd see the most out there looking people. Leather clad dominatrix, people looking like the Residents with large eyeball heads, I used to see a guy that dressed like a baby with nappy, big dummy sucker thing and all. The music was kickin too. It's where I heard Coil being played for the first time. I'm not sure that Slimelight could exist in Dublin, this city isn't half big enough. No freaks in Dublin anyway. Thanks for reminding me anyway.

It used to be a damn cool place alright...

Friend of mine I met back in March, who is living in London, told me at the time that it was nothing but arseholes overdosing on E, and all techno EMB music...
    Didn't wanna beleive her, but, the music at least has gone well downhill...

Personaly, I really am just gonna stick with Dominion up in Dublin.
    Pity we don't have anything like that down here in Galway.
    Would be great.
    Still have to check out some places in Nottingham, friends of mine over there say it's great. And I'm told Scotland is cool also...

All the info you might need about Gothic Ireland and everything alternative! metal . punk , alternative gigs events clubs ......blah blah ..trying not to sound like an advertisement! Plus info about a new club coming your way soon!

check out:http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/gothicpropaganda
    and JOIN us!

toxic promotions gigs info
    Globalise
    Resistance info
    Dominion info
    Things ur missing! Irish info list
    Plus lots lots more ! You tell us whats going on and spread the Propaganda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a free and open forum!

cheers.
    Ben
    http://stigma@gothic.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Malaise

This thread just highlights exactly whats wrong with the Goth scene in Dublin!
    Unfortuately Dublin Goths have chosen to stick to their guns in the good ol' pretentious manner that Goths generally have! In Dublin, something becomes 'Goth' coz Goths say so, and if something like Full Tilt comes along, with the opportunity to not only give you a break from the regular Dominion or Spellbound (now lying dormant!), but creates an opportunity for a genuine crossover of genres, which, lets face it, hasn't happened since old Fibbers!
    I find that a Goth club that actually doesn't play a Sisters song for the entire night, quite refreshing!
    I was at FT in the electric ballroom & The Slimelight fairly recently, and it was great to see such a mix of the Cyber-goth & Trad-goth styles.
    The rumours abound that FT will be back for a monthly appearance, which I was surprised to hear, considering the low attendance, & as someone said before, it was a bit steep ;12 a ticket, but the way I look at it; you'd spend a helluva lot more to go to the EB in Camden!!!
    So, to put this post to bed, I'll just finish by saying that in order for a genre to continue to be popular, and to have a wider appeal, it needs to adapt & alter with the times, goth included, but unfortunately the Dublin Goths seem to be too much like an exclusive club for this to happen, which is unfortunate, if only fom the point of view that it limits the amount of money people like Stigma etc can make from a club/gig/event!

Prove me wrong, I'm open to suggestion....

Thats just stupid...

I do like a good mix of musical styles.

But you're basically shooting yourself in the foot with that arguement.
    12 quid a ticket is FAR too steep for any club. And I'm sure a lot of peeps felt the same way. So you can't really blame the bad turn-out on arrogance, now can you?

And slimelight is hardly a mix of anything other than techno & EMB. I went two weeks in a row, and they played nothing even remotely goth.

Of course something because goth because goths say so... If you're going to have a goth club, you're going to have to please your target audience.

And from what I've heard, Full Tilt was nothing other than the whole techno/EMB thing.

You can hardly use that arguement considering that we're comparing a club that has played nothing but one style to a club that plays a lot of goth/alternative/industrial/darkwave/emb, and even a little metal... Thats just being ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

how much was it into slimelight,when i was there i got in free.just wondering,i thought it was a bit of a kip.

It's 8 in, 6 if you're a member.

Somebody saying that their is money to be made from goth clubs!!!! ??
    well you obviously have been living under a bridge for a while!

having been around the block a few times myself from local goth clubs to international clubs . I have seen a thing or two and all clubs are differant and so is the mixture of styles and attendance ! and if a club like the ones we organise ( which include fetish clubs,metal,indie....) can charge £5/£4 with a flyer and give a good nights entertainment with an open forum guest dj slot open to all then fair enought ! I think you were confused !
    FULLTILT came here and charged £12 for what ????
    the same crowd and music as we see every week in Dominion?and fibbers! spellbound(now sindrome) so whats your conclusion !
    if local people and local clubs charge a nominal price (hardly making us millionares over night) and giving the punters what they want we are wrong!!
    but if a London clubs comes over here charging multiple times more than they charge back home _hardly advertise and having to hand out free tickets to geta crowd then playing the same music you can here every week in Dominion (for alot less dosh!!£!!) then they are heroes!!????
    we even mailed them to ask could we help in anyway advertising ! because we want to see the crowds grow at these type of events

well then I think we need to all become capitolists ...........
    anyway back to ranting!! ;P seriously the Dublin clubs going way back to badlands.the tower,and more modern times dominion have been run by goths who know the scene and do a real duty to everyone who likes this wide and varied music , even when 4 people turn up they have to pay the bill and do it all again next week ! but yet between them all, they have carried on and even put on some really good gigs over the years and some great bands!! give credit where credit is due ! and maybe help out instead of bitching ! get involved!

cheers and nice to see people still care!
    ignore my ranting and abd spelling but nothing can wreck my christams now! coz I just got back from Prague! everyone go! now go! to prague ! so cheep and so historical and pritty and so much to see and do!!!

anyway!

byeeeeeeeeeeee
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/gothicpropaganda
    come check out the wide varied range of music styles from metal to punk and all stopps inbetween! ;P

SINDROME
    Opening night Friday 28th Of Dec.

At The Temple Pub Dorset St. Dublin

GOTH/INDUSTRIAL/PUNK/80`S/ELECTRO
    (the last friday of every month)

Dj`s on the night
    Paul B.
    Vanian
    Mark

(guest dj slots available e-mail sindrome@gothic.ie)

Admission £5/£4 with flyer!
    Doors 8pm - til late

To print your virtual flyer go to: http://sindrome.gothic.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement