Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wats ur current speed ?

Options
  • 24-11-2001 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

my current speed is

suicide.JPG

but normally get 33.6, imagine that :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

connect.gif
    I usually do connect at about 49,333

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

24,000 - highest I can get is 26,400 due to a DACS box (that isn't even being used..)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

conn.jpg

No DACS box for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

45333 Kps, whats a DACS box and why are they used (or not).

and why can't I upload a picture boo-hoo!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

conn.jpg

Good line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

49.2k to Esat, and 50.6k to €ircom. Living out in the middle of the country, around 1 mile from the local 'exchange' where all the lines go to. I used to be on a DACs box, and best used to be 28.8k till a new house was built nearby, and they obviously put me back on a normal line for some reason. :)

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭corkie

Originally posted by mike65
    and why can't I upload a picture boo-hoo!
    Hi Micheal,
    Put them on your site and link to them from here.
    Also Version 3 of the chromeless windows is out.
    With smaller more compact and faster code.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

50.666bps

getting 5kb/sec down
    3.5kb/sec up

Macker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

connection%20speed.jpg

i got rid of my isdn, but this is an improvment over my speeds before i got isdn .

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

i have too speeds 52000 or 54666 bps.
    Which is excelent since i live in the sticks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

eircom.jpg

I rarely connect below this, mostly this speed or around 50k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

There are a lot of threads that really should be on nets/comms, this being one of them.

(I don't know what speed I connect at, since the machine that does the connecting isn't windows, but it's pretty good, 5kb/s is normal.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Some nice speeds there lads. I only dream of ever achieveing these speeds, but so note that theyre not entirely accurate. Whilw windows might be telling you that your connected at 50k or something like that, you might be actually connected at around 26k. Its the same for me. My theoretical connection speeds are around 33k-38k on a 56k modem and using a dacs box. Windows in general is innacurate when it comes to measuring the true speed of your internet connection. Ever connect to the net anc check your connection speed to find that your connected at 115200bps? Happened to me a few times, and them speeds are nigh on impossoble over a standard phoneline, especially in most parts of Ireland

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by phaxx
    There are a lot of threads that really should be on nets/comms, this being one of them.

Maybe, but this isn't one of them. It demonstrates how bad Eircom's network is. I think if you told anyone in the developed world you were connecting to the Internet at 21.6kb/s they would fall over laughing.

I get ~44kb/s. Though after seeing how many are getting almost 50kb/s I think I might have another go at getting a little extra bit of speed out of the modem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mustang

Connected yesterday to eircom at 16 and at the moment i am connected at 28.

normally get at least 42 -

boy you lucky devils with 50 - i think i can honestly say i have never connected at that speed

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

connect.jpg

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

50666 or 52000 usually.

But I notice weirdness between the ISPs, because although I connect at 50666 to Oceanfree or Eircom, on a download i get around 3.6K/sec, which is 33.6 speed, and on IOL Free, I connect also at 50666 and get 4.5K/sec or even up to 5.2K/sec.

So I think some ISPs are throttling the bandwidth after connecting initially at higher rate. This is actually very easy for them to do, and I notice it every goddamn time I am on Oceanfree that I never get above 4K/sec downstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

I always connect at 64,000bps but how the hell do ye do the Pic of it ? hehehehe :)
    Ok i might connect at that but to be honest its CRAP! on Eircon and great on Oceanfree :)

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

conn.jpg

heres one i made earlier - alot earielr when i was on no limits
    ph34r.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 disConnected

Connected at 46k, download stream approx. 2k in average, hitting (very rare) peaks of 6k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

i have a few modems etc

my original modem a 33k connected at 33k, downloaded at 3.5k sec

then i got a wonderful new 56k external modem, it was the king of all modems, but it died after a run in with the printer power cable, connected at 52,000 / 49,999 and downloaded at 6.5k/sec
    pinged well too: got 110 with it to barrysworld for a while. i miss it.

to replace that i got another 56k , connecting at 50,666 kbps downloading at 5.5k sec most of the time, pings are 180 - 250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

It demonstrates how bad Eircom's network is

thats why i posted it here. thanks NeilF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

42,666 as per normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

connect.JPG

The 4.0 mpbs is the speed of the USB port, not my connection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

My machine reports 115.2Kbps, which is apparently the connection speed that Windows communicates with the modem... and not the actual connection speed (it's a 56Kbps modem).

I'm not exactly sure how to determine the true speed. I'm not exactly bothered either.

Oh... and I'm moving this thread to Nets/Comms as it's more appropriate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

connected at 33.600

what i would like to know is how do you got the dialog box to appear in the message

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Downloading my third movie tonight on a noice 512k line, all to myself (work).

ISDN at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by fcddunne
    connected at 33.600

what i would like to know is how do you got the dialog box to appear in the message

See that little 2-flashy-screens icon that appears in your system tray when you're connected?

Double click it.

Ahhh. Thar it is.

--

Maybe that's only in later Windows versions, mind you... I'm not sure. - it definitely does it in Windows 2000 for me.

As another means to the end, if you're getting the smaller box when you double click that icon, hit the 'details' button for a bit more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

I got me a nice little 2MB dedicated line here. 24/7 baby Yeah !

Have it all to myself because I just got a 2MB line for the rest of the office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

that connection is all to myself at home sorry i had to do it :rolleyes:untitled.JPG

Advertisement