Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Flatrate

Options
  • 25-11-2001 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

I Know its against terms and conditions etc....but im nearly there. cant get 500k ntl roll out in my area of D24 so I got a friend who has been aproved to set up for me. testing the wireless set up today and all going well we will split the diffrence. Do It Yourself!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm sorry, but can you explain that in plain English for those of us who don't quite understand what you're on about... please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

dathii1 is talking about sharing a friends NTL cable Internet connection using a wireless link. See this article by Bob "The Prophet" Cringley for an idea of how it could be done, only slightly differently.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I assume you have Line of Sight with your friend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

ok.....NTL has rolled out limited broadband Cable Modem Internet access to 25,000 homes in the Dublin 24, 16, and 6w area as you already know here. I rang NTL but my particular area of D24 wasn't on the list...so I got a friend to enquire from a different area of D24 and they said yes no problem. Hence we invested in two wireless network cards, 2 omni directional microwave antennae, some patch cables and low loss cable. We were going to do this anyway so as to test a wireless network in our area. Now im going to test the wireless connection line of site (less than 600m) and then with some natural barriers i.e.: houses.. to check its characteristics....all going well (hopefully) we can be running in time for the connection.

The Prophet" Cringley ....yes just read that..but I think he's slightly off on 100 feet with omni antennae (in my experience with radio) ...especially line of site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

right i know this is TOTALLY off topic for the IOFFL board -

How do you address the privacy issue?

What's stopping your friend running a packet sniffer and logging everything you do for "posterity"*?

pete

* = blackmail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

right i know this is TOTALLY off topic for the IOFFL board

You're right, it is. :)

How do you address the privacy issue? What's stopping your friend running a packet sniffer and logging everything you do for "posterity"*?

Answers:

1) You don't.
    2) Nothing.

Sorry, simple answers, but that's it in a nutshell. Links like this are about trust, to be used at your own risk. Same as the trust you have to put in your ISP. And their upstream provider. Etc.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I think it's terrible that people have to do things like this in order to get flat-rate or faster access. I have no problem with people actually doing it but I think it's terrible that people are reduced to having to come up with DIY things like this in order to get faster/cheaper access. We should NOT have to do this ourselves, the telecos should be offering these services to us and it's another indication of the sorry state of internet access in this country that people are now having to come up with these things themselves. We should all be able to access the net through a flat-rate or broadband service without having to do it ourselves.

The group of people in Cork who are doing the WAN scheme down there are another example. If anyone from abroad saw that we were having to do this ourselves just to get cheaper/faster internet access they would think that the telecos and government were a joke and would be pointing their fingers and laughing at us. It's a f**king national disgrace, that's what it is!

It is indeed a shame that the ordinary decent hard working people of Ireland have to go to such lenghts to get online and educate themselves about the world.

Corks meant to be the Cultural Capital of Europe in 2005. What a joke it will be if we can't show of our online culture too.

Theres people in Donegal who are going to get online using wireless technology and bandwidth supplied from the UK. E-Hub ? E-backward little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

cool I like the sound of pirate ISPs guess thats what the world is coming to

what I would like to know is how far do you have to be able to transmit stuff like that before the ODTR become responsible for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

Originally posted by dathi1
    Now im going to test the wireless connection line of site (less than 600m) and then with some natural barriers i.e.: houses.. to check its characteristics....all going well (hopefully) we can be running in time for the connection.

Be aware that there is a licencing restriction of 100mW. Good plan tho.

right I know this is TOTALLY off topic for the IOFFL board
    No way.....flat rate internet access for all? Do u really think that the Telco and wireless monopolists are going to go full hog on broadband for everybody next year or the year after?....Do remember Pirate Radio in the early days...Radio Nova, Q102 etc.. they done it themselves and then came 2fm, fm104, 98 etc as a result. I say Go Wireless.
    How do you address the privacy issue? What's stopping your friend running a packet sniffer and logging everything you do for "posterity"*?
    Yes I'm well aware of sniffer software I have studied the San Fran Bay area (the first to be featured in wired) WAN with a lot of interest i.e.: outsiders hacking in..but I think this can be overcome by taking certain precautions which I wont go into here. (advice from my network guy) But as for my friend is concerned... well we're both involved in the same online projects...there's no problem there.

Originally posted by fcddunne [/i

what I would like to know is how far do you have to be able to transmit stuff like that before the ODTR become responsible for it

100mW / 20db is the limit. You can squeeze about 1.5 miles out of that using an Omnidirectional antenna, you'd get more from directional antennas at both ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

NTL has rolled out limited broadband Cable Modem Internet access to 25,000 homes in the Dublin 24, 16, and 6w area as you already know here

Do you know what Part of Dublin 16 Has Cable? As I live there and have been told by NTL No Cable Here:(

Advertisement