Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

None of my games working

Options
  • 25-11-2001 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Ello all,

Formatted my comp last week, reinstalled Windows, drivers etc. Then installed Aliens v Predator 2 and it worked fine.
    This weekend I installed Half Life, CS, TFC and Gunman Chronicles.

Tried to start HL. Computer froze. 10 minutes later HL started up. Clicked New Game. Computer froze. 10 minutes later console appears and new game starts loading.
    Tried the same thing with CS. Same again.
    Tried with Gunman Chronicles. Ditto.

If that wasn't enough, my FPS is now completely screwed too. In Gunman Chronicles it mysteriously dropped to 5fps, on a part of the map with no entities and not much detail.

Please help! Anyone, help me! I need my fix of TFC!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

What grafix card have you got ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

if we are to help you, you need to provide more details about the system that youre having problems with.

what processor, gfx card + drivers version and stuff like that you are using? did you get the latest patches? did you change the video renderer in Half-Life configuration?

you'll preety much hit a brick wall regarding help from anyone without any details. :)

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sorry, thought maybe it was a really obvious problem and down to me being stupid as usual :)

OK I have a PIII 450MHz with 384Mb RAM and a Videologic VividXS gfx card based on the Kyro II chip, which I installed myself to replace my old Voodoo 3 (although that was a while ago). My OS is Windows 98 second edition. I've updated DirectX to 8.1 and updated my gfx card drivers using the auto-update program. I doubt either of those are causing the prob since I had done those updates before I decided to format and had no trouble then.

If it helps my computer also freezes for between 30 seconds to a couple of minutes while loading video files, and at other times (I can't really be specific as the freezes seem to be totally random).
    I was having the problem with loading video files before I formatted too, but only for the couple of days before I formatted. I don't remember making any big changes to my system that would have caused it then, and I'm not sure why after formatting it's still doing it.

Strangely Aliens v. Predator 2 works fine, and never goes down to the 5fps I get with Gunman Chronicles which is based on a nearly 6-year-old engine.

That's all I can think of, if you need any more information plz let me know

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You've a fresh install of win98 and new drivers. If they're ruled out then you're left with what smells like a h/w fault. Maybe try popping the voodoo 3 back in and see if the freezes go. Check your cpu fan and PSU fan and generally see if the systems too hot. Obviously games push your machine hard.

Also, I got tripped up by my firewall program ZoneAlarm which used to pop up after a games initial load to ask me if the game could access the net (as most do) but because I couldn't see the Zone alarms window it looked like the game crashed.

So kill (CTRL-ALT-DEL) off anything that doesn't need to be running in the background before running the game (systray and explorer are all you need usually)

Try using different desktop resolutions/colours.

Hmm after rereading your post, are you still using Half-lifes 3DFX settings for the video renderer?

If all this doesn't work then ummm buy Deus Ex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Tech Support finally replied, told me to reinstall original drivers. Games working again. Turns out it was the new drivers doing it after all. A Microsoftism if ever I heard one ;) "It's a feature!". I'm gonna market this; "New Crash Functionality - so cool it freezes!"

Thanks for the help anyway :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement