Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many got trials?

Options
  • 25-11-2001 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been a lurker on this board for a while and want to find out how many people actually got trials.

I got one and am on the Rochestown Exchange in South Dublin. Will they charge us if we exceed our cap.?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I don't.. its so frustrating when my exchange is dsl ready, but I just cant get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Sikes, afaik there are NO caps for trials, so download away my son :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

If there are no caps during the trials, why the f**k do Eircom want to impose caps on the commercially available product? If they can manage it during the trials, they can manage it with the full product, I say. Another attempt to get more money from Joe Soap's back pocket, I reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    If there are no caps during the trials, why the f**k do Eircom want to impose caps on the commercially available product? If they can manage it during the trials, they can manage it with the full product, I say. Another attempt to get more money from Joe Soap's back pocket, I reckon!

It's called contention...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Didn't Eircom say that only 1% of their triallists exceeded 3GB a month the last time around? They might reckon it won't be an issue. In any case, they can't charge you for anything until they get the ODTR's permission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

My appointment is for 6th December AM time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

14th Dec for me!

Have a Happy Broadband Christmas!

(Still can't see it happening, too many x-file I suppose. I'll but money on the trials being cancelled & the ODTR being blamed, any takers?)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Sikes, afaik there are NO caps for trials, so download away my son :D
    Well the very nice ADSL customer rep I was talking to today, said they were only trialling the solo version this time around. So I would take that to mean, there will be a cap of 3 gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm a new trial success person.

When I mentioned I had a number of boxes (mac & PC) I was offered the option of the 4 port ethernet modem, so I'm pretty sure they are not restricting it to 'solo' type trials. I never made a claim to be a 'business' customer though.

I do wonder if they go through the motions of asking you to keep within a cap though. I'm sure they won't slap your wrist if you go above ;)

And anyone expecting to keep the modem... think again. It isn't going to happen (unless anyone knows better?)

Did anyone ask about the option of USB or Ethernet? I'm just after getting myself a 10/100 NIC to avoid having to use the USB option. I tried ringing them again, but the holding got a bit tedious. Got a date of Dec 14th earlier and forgot to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Trust me, they dont enforce the cap :D

Dustaz,

Were/are you on the previous trial?

can anyone on the previous trial confirm or deny that eircom cut you off promptly after 2/3 months? and that they took the modems back?

looking for 'horses mouth' info.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

when the trial was "up" Eircom sent out something saying

"Do you want to keep ASDL ... prices are yadda yadda yadda"

If you replied

YES

They let you keep everything; and seeing as they can't actually charge anyone they haven't.

NO

They cut you off and took your modem away.

My mate was on holidays and his flatmate said "Don't think so"
    poor bugger.

Ta for that.

very interesting. If you hung on to the modem and intended to sign up for the paying service were they going to bill you for the modem?

If they reconsider either their pricing or cap, and throw in the modem for nowt, they might convince me to hang on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

December 20th, PM Installation :)

I Love Rosemary.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

just a word of warning to everyone is participating in these three month long trials. After living with ADSL for 3 months i would think it would be nigh on impossible to go without ADSL and you would be prepared to pay outlandish somes of money just to keep it, even £200 a month. So don't get too cosy!!! :)

I'm going to rent mine out for a tenner an hour. That way, when it's finally launched, I should have enough dosh put away to pay whatever Eircom want! :p:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

alastair that adsl 4 port modem is only 10 base t not 100 base t so it might be very slow, id still advise getting a hub and connecting it up that way.

TrickyKid, they can take it unless you give it, and also that was probably one of the first trails were they were trying out loads of different models and brands.

Mountjoy Mugger, I've rang that number 5 times and I was never on hold

nadir, there is no cap, as that is usually the first thing they mention but no one said a word this time around.

Dustaz, you never said how must that will costs you btw

as for the original question, yes, I'm on the 12th, he tried to bump we to the 21th and it got very unpretty.

I'm going for the Ethernet model. You get some cat 5 cable but not Ethernet card.

The engineer will ring you the day before he comes to install it, to makes sure someone will be there, he wont leave a message and if he gets no answer the installation will be canceled. So be warned.

as for gettimng attached to it, i hope these trials do last up untill may, that way i will most likely have ntl cable

And Finally, to save you hassle, get your password and account details set up now. id also advise everyone to ring up and confirm things will go ahead, as eircom have ****ed up my order twice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    alastair that adsl 4 port modem is only 10 base t not 100 base t so it might be very slow, id still advise getting a hub and connecting it up that way.

You think at least 5 times faster than your ADSL downstream is slow?

Obviously it will be slower than 100baseT when copying files between PCs on your lan, but should be grand for sharing an ADSL connection.

The engineer will ring you the day before he comes to install it, to makes sure someone will be there, he wont leave a message and if he gets no answer the installation will be canceled. So be warned.

Were you told this by Eircom, Bo§ton?

I gave them my mobile number if they had any reason to contact me, and can't afford taking endless days off work just to facilitate a possible phone call at home. (They've already rung me 4 times at home, ignoring my mobile and work numbers which were supplied to them)

• Advertisement

Tricky kid is correct, if you signed up, you kept the service and the modem. if you didnt you lost both. that simple.
    The deal they offered to me anyway was the standard solo charge (93 per month) with a cap once the service went live (3 gig, 2p i think for every meg after that). no installation charge, no modem charge.

The engineer who connected me was a very nice guy, who called me on my mobile each time (i gave them my mobile number and they used that number every time). He arrived on the right day and on time:) While im on the serivce aspect of this, ive gotta say that the people who deal with dsl are the BEST customer service people i have ever dealt with in any telco. From sales to support to engineers, everyone i talked to was competant and a pleasure to deal with.

The official line on caps during the trial is that they exist but you are just not charged for them. personally, i doubt this as ive heard from a few sources that monitoring downloads is something they they were trying to get right on the last trial. As for their assertion that on the last trial most users (they used some percentage) didnt go over the cap, well i hate to say it but they are probably correct. the vast majority of the people on these trials are not like us. they are joe soap internet users - email deirdre in america, look at ireland.com and upwards from this. These folk are not going to use up thier cap in a hurry.

finally, as nadohic said its utterly IMPOSSIBLE to return to 56k after dsl, be prepared to mortgage your house for it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

For "fill in the blanks" puproses....

yes I've been offerred the trial

and YES...

I too am worried about life post ADSL:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 csaddict

Registered today at about 1pm (after reading one of the other threads - didn't get an offer) - Nutley.

Got a successful test and should be installing in 2 weeks time. Said the trial would be 8 weeks only.

Wouldn't mind, but I had a salesman from Eircom ring a week ago trying to convince me to go hi-speed. When I said I was holding off for ADSL, he said, to quote " VERY, (3sec pause) VERY, (3sec pause) VERY, (3sec pause) VERY Expensive" and went on to dissuade me as much as poss - not that it made a difference to my view.

And now I get it free! :p (even if it's only for 8 weeks...)

Snowbat, you miss understood my post, both modems will be the same speed extrenaly, but if you decide to run your network on the 4 port one, its going to slow it down alot, i over came this (or will) by installing two NIC's

Mountjoy Muggeryes i was told that by eircom, they made a point to do so.
    he said the guy will ring sometime over the next week or 2 to tie down an exact date, the day before (sometime before 5pm) and the day of the installation.
    Also save yourself some hassle and get the password set up now,

Dustaz, are you actually paying that 100 notes now, and the 12 month min sign up, i persume they cant hold you to that untill a price in finaly set.

Mountjoy Mugger yes i was told that by eircom, they made a point to do so.
    he said the guy will ring sometime over the next week or 2 to tie down an exact date, the day before (sometime before 5pm) and the day of the installation.
    Also save yourself some hassle and get the password set up now,

Cheers. I'll ring them again t make sure they use my mobile then. I got the password etc sorted out in the first day, thanks.

I take you mean the eircomnet name and password?

There isn't anything else I need to set up?

Originally posted by TrickyKid
    If you replied

YES

They let you keep everything; and seeing as they can't actually charge anyone they haven't.

:D

Originally posted by alastair
    I take you mean the eircomnet name and password?

There isn't anything else I need to set up?

Nah thats all you need, everything else is done with CLI or some such.

BTW you need this piece of filth CD software, that the minute you put it in it will change your network settings and stuff.
    they will just leave it with you if you get ethernet, but if you get usb (afaik) they will set it up on your pc for you.

if your wondering how i got all the info thank

daniel, misel, john and cornor, who all ha the honor of me asking each of them about 50 questions at eircom sales. :eek: :o :rolleyes: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

A friend that I passed the number onto just told me he's gotten his sorry ass onto the trials - he's in the Dublin 7 / Grangegorman area.

bastard.

Advertisement