Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on YE!

Options
  • 26-11-2001 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

First of all let me say that this is by no means ment to insult anyone! and i mean anyone! be it IOFFL or whoever. It is just 'MY' opinion and im going to say how i feel so if ye think ye are going to be insulted or whatever DO NOT! Read on ok!

First of all i think IOFFL are the best thing that has happened to us since the Sliced Pan. People from all walks of life became elected to it and formed what was/IS a voice for us all to be heard. The only thing/problem i have with it soo far is the LACK OF INFORMATION! that IOFFL supply to us on a DAILY basis! EG:
    http://www.irelandoffline.com/News.asp dated 08/11/2001.
    To me this is totally unacceptable. For years i have worked in a buisness that the right Hand does not know what the left hand is doing but yet we are expected to go along with it. NOT FAIR!!
    Everyone and i mean EVERYONE! should be kept informed as to what is happening!. it is totally not fair for someone to bring up a Valid point here only to be told .... This has already been delt with by the by IOFFL. But it is no-where to be found. :(

Information is the key to success.... without it we/everyone will fail! I spend a lot of time passing on all the information i can find on IOFFL etc. to people that cant get it for themselves. But one thing that really pissed me off was from a lady who talks by typing with her toungue said this "Hurry Up and WAIT!" I said be pateint and she said she has been for 6 years. What do i tell her ? Hurry up and WAIT! for another 6 years ? How long more are we going to try fight Eircom with a Pen when the only thing they understand is the Sword. They have billions of pounds and a monoply on their side. But who gave it to them... WE DID! and we can take it away!.

I stood in a class tonight and watched 1 person type Eircom are ****! It took him 45 mins to do it but everyone took notice. I might rant and rave a lot and maby i could put all this into 1 sentance and make it more noticeable. I wish i could! Everyone tonight (in this class) said the same thing. WHEN! are we going to do something to MAKE! Eircom Take Notice of us - not fobb off - not rob us of our rights - not take us for granted - not treat us like ****! - When! ?.

Like i said at the start i mean no insult to ANYONE! and its just me ranting off - i opologise if i offended anyone but i just had to get it off my chest.

MS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

What if there isn't anything to report?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What if there isn't anything to report?

There isn't. Anything of major importance - and I mean major importance - to IO members is posted on the website or to the mailing list. Everything else is posted here for discussion. Just lately, all the news has been rumour and innuendo, and that doesn't belong on the website. We're working on reorganising the website and the mailing list at the moment, including a content management system so all committee members can post news, and members can comment on it; and a proper membership facility which will lead to some surveys, polls, and possibly an electronic petition. I just had to quit writing the code to come and answer this, so that gives you an idea of the status. It'll be at least another week before I can release it though. And it'll be ugly and buggy as hell when I do. :)

MS, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please, tone it down just a little. "Shame on YE!" harks back to your first post here, and it's not at all constructive. We all know what we have to do - ultimately more than you'll ever realise - and we're trying to get ourselves more organised. But always remember, we're voluntary. We all have Real Work[TM] to do. We need to make some money so we can afford to do this...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Once again D

QUOTE!
    Like i said at the start i mean no insult to ANYONE! and its just me ranting off - i opologise if i offended anyone but i just had to get it off my chest.

It might have came out all wrong and whatever but i just had to get it off my chest. If i said too much or offended anyone just remove my post. Sorry mate. :(

MS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

We're working on reorganising the website and the mailing list at the moment, including a content management system so all committee members can post news, and members can comment on it; and a proper membership facility which will lead to some surveys, polls, and possibly an electronic petition.

D no offence mate but if you have already posted this information somewhere else can you direct me to it ? I/we have not found it (ok prolly my fault :( ) But even this small bit of information is enough to keep the fire alight. :)

Cheers,

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by MS

D no offence mate but if you have already posted this information somewhere else can you direct me to it ? I/we have not found it (ok prolly my fault :( ) But even this small bit of information is enough to keep the fire alight. :)

MS, - it wasn't posted up anywhere yet because we're only in the process of putting it together... (Well, to be perfectly accurate, ADAM is...). There is no point in reporting *anything* unless there's actually something solid and tangible to report. There certainly isn't enough IrelandOFFLine news to have a DAILY report, and whether you mean insult to anyone or not, I find the "shame on ye!" topic and some of what you said a tiny bit insulting.

People ARE kept up to date. As Adam said, as soon as there is *anything* solid to report, it goes on the web site. The forum - THIS forum - is also a means of keeping up to date with goings-on in the IrelandOFFLine world and should satiate your need for input in between press releases.

Some changes are coming soon, although there's little we can really say about them until we're some way towards making them happen... like for example how it would have been silly of Microsoft to announce their "HomeStation" (a sister product to the X-Box) when they ended up shelving the project a year into development. I *can* tell you that we'll be updating our web site to include a CMS (content management system), which will make it easier for us to add news articles, etc., signup forms, and some pretty polls with graphs and the like ... but these things take time and coding, and there's no point in announcing them until they EXIST.

I can also tell you that two committee members are in action this Friday, meeting with certain industry bods... but the soonest you will hear about that is shortly afterwards. There is no point in jeapordising our relationships with certain ISP/Internet industry people by widely publicising our meetings with them BEFORE they happen.

When there's news to be reported... we'll report it. No earlier.

Chill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Bard, please tell me it's not php-nuke :) The lads on Boards.ie won't be too happy if their server is continuously getting hacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

MS I appreciate your anxiety. We all get like that sometimes, but if anything is as sure as night follows day in the telco biz in Ireland it is...

Nothing Happens Fast (both literally and figuratively)

Isn't the forum enough- most of the major news strories are posted and linked. Anything apart from this is mere specualtion as to what is going on in terms of independant companies acting in open market conditions.

At the moment it is a waiting game for everyone- whether it be users, the telco's or state bodies- so we're all just gonna have to sit tight until we have something definitive to report on.

Also just as aside...
    The committee are of voluntary makeup and this should be considered in terms of any issues you may have.
    Point taken though MS....But thats life:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bard, please tell me it's not php-nuke The lads on Boards.ie won't be too happy if their server is continuously getting hacked

It's not PHPNuke, and it won't be hosted on Boards.ie. We want to integrate the site more tightly, and that means very slowly migrating everything over to irelandoffline.org. The whole thing probably won't be done for a good while. The news section will be a custom app using my own code, and won't have a comments section at the beginning. I'm looking at integrating some Phorum code to handle that.

And off-topic I know, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with PHPNuke, if that's what you're into. It had a couple of very serious security holes a long time ago, which were closed reasonably rapidly. The reason the Open Source community made such a hoopla about it is because the developer won't allow access to the source, which led to a load of righteous ranting on BUGTRAQ. As far as I'm concerned, if it's ok with Tobius Ratschiller, it's ok with me.

It really is a pretty cool app, and the amount of work that must have gone into it is amazing. It's just a wee bit too bloated for my needs though.

adam

Advertisement