Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a thought

Options
  • 26-11-2001 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

As a visually impaired person i depend heavily on the computer I would be lost without it and there are hundreds of people like me

Me personally I use this thing for both work and communicating with friends who live in parts of the country which I may not visit too often.

But I tend to spend alot of time online and it isnt cheap let me tell you.

I was giving this some thought and would like to know if getting groups such as the National Council for the Blind involved or getting their their support which they could pass on to their members.

and lets not limit my idea to those with visual impairments include all people with disabilities who find it more difficult to find "normal" work and say for example decide to start their own business involving computers and internet.

I went to a school in dublin where computer training was heavily promoted its probably all I know in the way of both making an extra few pounds and staying in contact with people without the expensive phone calls

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was giving this some thought and would like to know if getting groups such as the National Council for the Blind involved or getting their their support which they could pass on to their members.

Absolutely. I don't think there are many organisations in Ireland that wouldn't benefit from what IrelandOffline are trying to achieve. Could you give them a call or send them an email on our behalf? They would probably be much more likely to listen to someone directly affected by the current situation.

The same goes for other members of IrelandOffline - if you're a member or constituent of an organisation, why not do the same? All it takes is a quick phone call or email explaining the situation, and what we're trying to do. If they have any questions that you can't answer, we'd be delighted to talk to them.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If I might just jump in for a second to make a recommendation to the visually impaired among us...

I have bad eyesight myself - not quite to the extent of partial blindness or anything, but short-sightedness to the extent of seeing a screen as nothing but a blur if I don't have the use of my glasses.

I would highly recommend the Opera browser purely based on the zooming function it provides. I've found that function alone an incredibly useful and thoughtful addition (I usually view this site, for example, in 150%).

--

Now- as for what you are proposing - I think it's an excellent idea - particularly for those of limited mobility. Improve their Internet access, and thereby improve the viability of them working from home and not needing to BE mobile.

I think it would be great if we could get the National Council for the Blind, National Wheelchair Association, and others behind us.

Great idea,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I will see what I can do

Thank you sir.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Very good suggestion FCD but just to rain slighty on the parade....

Alot of these organisations would receive Govt. Funding anyway and would prolly be on HEANET. My mother is a teacher in a Special Needs Schools in Stillorgan and they have free net access- I dont know how but I presume its HEANET.This is thus a caveat not to expect an overwhelming reaction of support from these various organisations.

Notwithstanding that, it is sooo relevant for many other reasons- not to mention quality of life and other socio-economic rational. This is also something we could pursue as a group- especially surveying work practices in comparison with other more fibred countries and reporting as to the impact the inadequacy of the Internet in Ireland has on such activity!

There is nothing to lose by exploring this avenue FCD, so go headlong for it:)

• Advertisement

80p, do you mean "the organisation won't care, even if their members do"? Because otherwise I don't get it. Sure, a lot of this type of organisations are on HEANET, but their members at home aren't. They have to use dialup links, just like the rest of us. Maybe they're subsidised, but by how much. Hopefully, fcddunne will come back with the answers... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

do you mean "the organisation won't care, even if their members do"?

In essence yes! But thats me just playing Devils Advocate on why they may not be all enthused at the idea.
    IMO ppl who are disabled or impaired in some manner are the most needy in terms of residential access, yet it seems to be overlooked bcos some of the institutions they use or attend have adequate access on site. Get what I'm at?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭o_donnel_abu

I think this is a great idea. We are aiming to represent 'ordinary' users and these groups IMO are ordinary users with a particular difficulty - over the years, I have read numerous postings from people who have a disability and have found the net not only a great communications tool but have also found the net community to be great from the point of view that they are not aware of the disabiliies and treat people as being perfectly normal!

On a slightly different but related issue, I was not able to post during the build up to the blackout. Reading the various reports afterwards, I was much p*ssed off by the reactuion of the SFA.

During the early days of IOFFl when I was visiting Dublin a lot doing our early rounds with the key players, I made several attempts to meet with both SFA and IBEC but they showed no interest whatsover.

Looking at the close advertising allegiance between Eircom and SFA in the media, and recognising that IBEC has heavy ties into the Telco's - Esat and Eircom are both members of the Telecommunications and Internet Federation which is a sub section of IBEC - I don't think that we are likely to get much support or even recognition from them.

Getting active groups like the NCB and others behind us would IMO strengthen us considerably particularly it making this a 'hot topic' coming into a general election.

Martin Harran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Could i ask if any contact has been made yet to IOFFL from any of the above. I really have a vested interest in this and would like to know of any outcome that may occure ?

MS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 murcielago

Don't forget the hearing impaired for whom voice telephone has obvious limitations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well if asking for their support doesnt work then ask thier members for their support and work the way up

They do receive some govt funding but they also advertise for public donations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

errrrrrrrrm at the risk of sounding stupid once again. Has any contact been made by any of these bodies to IOFFL ? And if so what is the progress/outcome ?

MS

Advertisement