Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving .ram Files - Wee Night For Uaneen

• 26-11-2001 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Last year www.2fm.ie had the "Wee Night For Uaneen" recordings in .ram format on teh webpage. I was on 28.8 Dial-up. No chance.
    This year they're there again and I'm ont eh college connection. Yes. :)
    How can I save them? I also intend to convert them to mp3 too cos I don't like anything from Real.com
    Capitalist annoying pop-up web pirates.....
    Anyone done it before?

I'd advise anyone with a liking of good music to check this out.
    Some really good performances from the Frames and Ash, with interviews with plenty of people, notably The Undertones

*Mods - I'm posting this thread on both Tech boards and Music boards cos I reckon it's doubling my chances of solving this. :)
    Bear with me

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ram's are called "meta files" and they're used to initiate a stream, but they're really just text files containing a pointer to the real resource. So you just have to right-click on the link, save the file, and open it with a text editor. This is what the first ramfile on the "Wee Night For Uaneen" web page contains:

http://www.2fm.ie/musiczone/rams/uaneen/ash.rm?start="00:01.0"&end="08:10.0"

So the real file is http://www.2fm.ie/musiczone/rams/uaneen/ash.rm. (The QUERY_STRING - the bit after the question mark - just tells your Real Player where to start in the file.) The easiest way to save the files is to create a wee webpage containing links to the 'rm' files, and right-click and save them.

Sometimes though, you'll find on odd URL in the meta file, starting with something like pnm://, and I''m afraid you can't save them, because they're coming from a proper Real Server. You have to pull the audio from the sound card to get these fellas.

Course, all this is for the benefit of people looking to download music legally. I wouldn't condone the downloading of copyrighted material at all at all at all. Cos we all know that people who download music will never go out and buy another CD again, sure and begorrah.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Why dont you record it onto your HD using something like musicmatch jukebox.

Do a search on download.com for it. Works quite well actually:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I've used Streambox before to record these as sometimes you can't download them as the realserver demands you have realplayer installed and the player won't save it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Thanks ppl.
    I'll give it a go.

I have those files, 80K long about.
    I'm in college so can't jsut record em. Otherwise I would.

I can burn em though.

This stuff isn't really copyrighted, and I was planning on recording it off the radio anyways, so i don't see it as being piracy.
    Just there were some really good interviews and tunbes played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Sometimes though, you'll find on odd URL in the meta file, starting with something like pnm://, and I''m afraid you can't save them, because they're coming from a proper Real Server. You have to pull the audio from the sound card to get these fellas.
    Not quite.

After a bit of fiddling, I found that if you take this "pnm://" URL, change the pnm:// to http://, and make sure you're downloading from port 7070, you should be able to download it.

Eg: if the URL is
    pnm://realplayer.server.com/somefile.rm

change this to
    http://realplayer.server.com:7070/somefile.rm

follow the rest of your instructions and you should be able to download it. Some sites are a bit tricker (e.g. the BBC), but this should work for 90% of pnm:// files.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

If you know the URL just get HT-Track which is mainly a website offline copier, but if you just give it a file's URL it will just copy it from the web host or from wherever to a directory (I use to save the Flash games which are all .swf files). (of course then I found out that they all sit in the Windows Temporary Internet Files directory but there you go).

Yeah, I saved the page with the links on it and opened up the source code. Modified the links to .ra from .ram, but only gave me the .ram files anyways.
    So taking your other idea I opened the .ram files with notepad an got the addresses.
    They workl. :) Mission accomplished :) I really don't see why an Irish TV radio station would have this stuff in streaming format. Not everyone who would be listeniong to it would have access to high speed connections to let you listen when ever you want.....
    I know there are worldwide listeners, but backpackers in Austrailia won't exactly have satelite connections, will they? :)

This stuff isn't really copyrighted

Yes it is. Anything that's not copyrighted to the artists is copyrighted to the station.

and I was planning on recording it off the radio anyways, so i don't see it as being piracy.

Recording off the radio is piracy. It's not very good (or clever) piracy, but it's still piracy. The RIAA sucks, MP3 rocks, Cactus is crap, and there's a conspiracy against us, but don't kid yerself - you're breaking the law.

adam

After a bit of fiddling, I found that if you take this "pnm://" URL, change the pnm:// to http://, and make sure you're downloading from port 7070, you should be able to download it.

Never thought of that, thanks man.

"If I can see further than you, it's because I'm standing on ObeyGiant's head."

adam

Heheh, therein lies the thrill of the chase.... :)

I thought piracy was when you tried to make money by selling stuff, thereby taking money away from the producer?

You can't get this stuff anywhere else, it's broadcasted publicly and i don't intend to sell it.
    I might throw it on a CD for a friend for teh price of a pint cos it's not convienient in it's current form, but I wouldn't consider it to be piracy in the 'profiteering' sense.
    It may be copyrighted, but it's in the public domain and therefore......sod this, I ahve the stuff. 120megs of .ra files.

Now off to find a converter and a southern fried chicken special in th G+L across the road from the college.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

It is piracy actually. Dahamstas right. It is not in the public domain if you hear it on the radio.

The anti-piracy people are not going to hunt you down though over this minor breach of the laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by yellum
    It is piracy actually. Dahamstas right. It is not in the public domain if you hear it on the radio.

The anti-piracy people are not going to hunt you down though over this minor breach of the laws.
    That's what they want you to think ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

And what if it has this at the end of the link? Any sugestions?

pnm://realplayer.server.com/somefile.rm?cloakport="8080,554,7070"

ok, i get that bit now.
    If it has this in the middle:
    pnm://realplayer.server.com/usr/content/somefile.rm
    would they be variables depending on who you are loged on as?

Anyone?
    there are a few short films and animations that i want to view at a decent resolution but cant because of limited bandwidth. so i want to download the and watch them.
    Anyone any ideas?
    Im really surprised there isnt some program out there that would let you do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak
    Last year www.2fm.ie had the "Wee Night For Uaneen" recordings in .ram format on teh webpage. I was on 28.8 Dial-up. No chance.
    This year they're there again and I'm ont eh college connection. Yes. :)
    How can I save them? I also intend to convert them to mp3 too cos I don't like anything from Real.com
    Capitalist annoying pop-up web pirates.....
    Anyone done it before?

I'd advise anyone with a liking of good music to check this out.
    Some really good performances from the Frames and Ash, with interviews with plenty of people, notably The Undertones

*Mods - I'm posting this thread on both Tech boards and Music boards cos I reckon it's doubling my chances of solving this. :)
    Bear with me

If you have access to a unix system you can probably just download it using wget and the URL of the file, and then ftp it down to your windows machine to play it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Tackled a similar problem fairly recently: a friend wanted to record a realaudio file and burn it onto CD.
    What I did was download the .ram file, open it in notepad, entered the resulting .ra file into GetRight (you can probably do this with other download managers, or even an ftp program or something), downloaded that, then recorded the file to a .wav in WaveLab, then burnt the .wav to CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I found that if you get the realmedia plugin for WinAmp and then use the output plugin "Disk Writer" in WinAmp you get a .wav of the file and that can then be converted to an MP3 :D

Advertisement