Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A bit of Advertisement & Status Report... And Stuff!?

• 26-11-2001 12:14pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

probably shouldn't do this but I'm bored out of my bin, and think I'll throw up a pointless thread...

First off, Just want to say a big thanks to all who post here... Took a while to get this party started, and we're still going (Albeit, very slowly)
    Second, we've started another attempt at creating our own MOD (Check Ronan's thread for details)
    Here's some points I'd like to make:

1) Some of us "Unfortunate" souls don't have complete net access to make it onto IRC at the allotted times for this MOD meeting, and some people can't make it for other reasons so for those people I'd like to ask this if you do hold such a meeting, that someone keep a record or log file of the conversation and put it up for download (If you think it's worth seeing)

2) I wouldn't mind getting a little board status report... There's been a lot of various people coming here, and all have different skills... I'd love a nice little report on who does what... If I could get a report such as:

+List of mappers / coders / modellers+Skinners / other

I could place them all on a sticky thread...
    Why would I want to do that!?
    Because people have often come here and asked for these types of people for whatever projects they may be working on, so with a sticky report you can simply read the list and pinpoint people you want / need for any "Game Editing" projects you have in mind, and throw them a message... Of course, you could simply write a thread and ask for people, but you'd get all sorts of estranged weirdo's, like me, in there spamming :D

3) I'd like to know how the IMC Site (Or Irish Mapping Community Site) is coming along - I dont have the luxury of net constant access so I lose out on these types of details... Who'll be running the site!? Who get's what jobs on the site!? (I gave a rake of suggestions in the Irish Mapping Community Thread, but im not sure if anything like that will be implemented...

I also think that our friends from Torc Interactive should be included in this web site. Would be good for both of us seeing as we could advertise their Games and / or Projects (If they so wish) and seeing as they are into game creation, it would be nice to bounce our own idea's off of them, and even offer Demo Tests / Idea's + Suggestions and any other details they need...

Discuss, people... I want this Board bopping with life before I get back :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

1) Agree
    2) I'm a mapper/modeller/soon to be coder/ and researcher or whatever else is needed.
    3) Unfortunately I have no involvement, as the project seems to have been kidnapped by someone else.
    3.i) Yeah torc rule. I love their tech demo even if the engine has a few quirks. I especially like the idea of doing the new mod on their engine. With all the research we're gonna have to do chances are it will be close to 6 mths and their new engine will be complete. 'Sides aint no chance of competing with CS and others.
    Although working on HL and then converting to their engine whatever the name is, is also good. I'll leave it to el presidente Mr. Ronan|Raven. ;)

Hardly hopping but you get the Idea :P

IvAn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

YES! the idea of a list of people and there skills would be a great sticky to put up !

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Well, if you think it's a great idea, I think you better grab the rest of the people here (By the ears) and tell them to post their opinions...

So far I've got my own details (God Im smart), Ronan|Raven and Ivan... Come on guys, "Game Editing" needs you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

well..
    i can map
    little to no experience with c++
    bit of 3d studio max
    mess around with sounds alot :)
    can't make textures :(
    thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]

mess around with sounds alot :)

lol, you should release a fúcked up CS soundpack :D

god knows the sounds you have are stupid enough...except for the AWP railgun :)~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Thats it drake i'm going to clown college...
    i mean i will make a sound pack :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i don't think anyone expected him to say that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

I agree with all those ideas ropedrink.

I also have limited access to the net.

Put me on the list as a mapper, I also have a tiny amount of c++ knowledge and I can use truespace 2 and milkshape 3d modelling tools, i am also coming to grips with the GIMP atm, so that should help my skinning skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Well...

- I can map for HL and its mods
    - I'm a beginner at C++
    - I can map for Freespace 1 & 2, and am currently working on a singleplayer mod for Freespace 2

Hows that? :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Im going to list people in this post of mine, and edit it each time new data comes about...

Once people are happy, I trot along to my Speshul Moderator Page and start up this Sticky Thread, were people who intend to create mod's / maps, or anything else that requires experienced and / or learning "Game Editer's", can check it up, and pin-point the people they'd like to have a tea + biscuit with, while discussing what they want done...

TIP: If you can map for any well known or common game, say so... Life doesn't rotate around Halflife and it's mod's...

+RopeDrink - Mapper - HL / CS / TFC / Quake / KingPin / Starcraft

+Lyconix - Mapper - HL + Mod's - Beginner at C++ - Can map for Freespace 1 & 2, and is currently working on a singleplayer mod for Freespace 2

+Thrax - Mapper - Has a tiny amount of c++ knowledge - Can use truespace 2 and milkshape 3d modelling tools - Also coming to grips with GIMP / Skinning

+[-=Raven=-] - Mapper - Can use Max 3d Studio - Limited C++ Experience - Sound Creation + Editing

+Ivan - Mapper / modeller / soon to be Coder / and Researcher

+Drake - Mapper

+Ronan - HL Mapper, Intermediate Level - Learning 3D Modelling - Currently working on a new mod

+DeadBankClerk - C++ - Java - Eiffel - 3D Mapping - 3D Art - 3D Models - Realistic Physics Engines - 3D Engines

+Enygma - Coder - C++ Programming - Has researched the HL Engine - Vector mathmatician

Post will be edited accordingly... More details please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ronan|Raven

HL Mapper, Intermediate Level, Learning 3D Modelling, working on a new mod

In this Sticky thread (when complete) will be links to the IMC webby, any other board related to this one, certain sites and various other things that will help people who visit here so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

DeadBankClerk
    C++ : Java : Eiffel : 3D Mapping : 3D Art : 3D Models : Realistic Physics Engines : 3D Engines

Nice CV there DBC :D - Post Edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Ye can put me down as a coder, done a fair bit of C in the past and loads of Java in the last year or so. C++ should be a doddle. Been looking at the HL code recently and it seems to make sense. I'll give it a good shot.
    Not bad at Vector maths and maths in general either.
    Itching to get into mod dev.

Thank you all for your contribution...

I strongly advise what you all have stated is true, seeing as if by chance some magical company comes scouting for talent, your only kidding yourselves if they happen to see the list and hand pick you for a project, only to find that your a lying scumbag who can't map / programme etc like you've said :D:p

Anyway - Thread is now to be locked - if you do have any more contributions / links / talent listings / idea's for future projects or any other idea's suggestions that you think could be put in a sticky thread, Please PM me.

Have a nice day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement