Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios probs?

• 21-06-2000 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Bit of a weird one last night, went to turn on the old puter and it hangs while booting so boot into safe mode and have a poke around everything seems ok. Try normal boot again still the same so I knock off some startup stuff and tweak a few settings still no joy. Open up and make sure everything is seated ok, no probs there pull out a few pci cards just in case problem is there still nothing.

Eventually just reformated and still have the same problem I did notice though that when I go into the bios settings on boot and save changes(even though nothing was changed) it will boot and when running everything seems to be working fine. So could it be my mobo is knackered or is it just a matter of flashing the bios, I'll be updating the bios tonight anyhow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

What type of bios ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

It's a long shot but try replacing your ide cable/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and try setting your bios to factory default first...just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Another explaination could be you need to replace the CMOS battery. Is the PeeCee loosing the System date etc. if so thats the problem I reakon smile.gif

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Tried default bios settings, no luck there, think the battery is ok as time/date is bang on I'll throw a new one in anyway just to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw if the Time/Date haven't changed or gone to default then the batteries fine. Back to the drawing board smile.gif

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You could try a hardware clear of the CMOS, sounds like it's corrupt.
    Should be a jumper on the Motehrboard for doing it. Works wonders.....

It's a chaintech 6ata2 running Award bios I've never updated it so I think it is early 99 version, they have an updated may 00 release but I have my doubts about it sortin the problem. I can't figure out whats up seeing as I haven't put any new hardware or s/w on in ages, last bit being a 128 mb sdram bout a month ago.

I tried the Hard reset of the CMOS Data jumper with no change so I went ahead and flashed the bios and that seemed to do the job. Which still leaves me with no idea what went wrong, why all of a sudden would the old version stop working, anyway thanks for all the suggestions lads.

Advertisement