Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Identical Phone lines

• 22-06-2000 12:15am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am having a spot of bother. I have recently upgraded a motorola modem to V90 and wanted to test it out so I plugged the phone cable out of my pace and into my motorola. I then tried to dial with the motorola but it said no dialtone, I checked the handset that was on the line and could also hear no dialtone, I thought that I had broken the fax line somehow. But when I took the cable out of the motorola the line returned to normal. For some reason the when the line was plugged into the motorola it immediately was using the line and after a short time it went to engaged tone and then silent, thus the reason I could not hear anything. I then hooked the motorola (External) up to a laptop and headed into another room where there was the normal phone jack (Not the fax one). This line behaved normally and I was able to dial out on the motorola on the normal line but could not dial out on the fax line, I thought that both lines were the exact same are they not ?
    The pace modem works on both lines. I am finding this a bit strange and would appreciate any advice offered

Slaanesh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Coyler

I had a similiar problem not to long ago when I got a new line installed. It seem that some chipsets short the line. I changed my phone port for a fairly standard one and this worked for me. Basically, your in for a bit of fiddling or annoy eircom, your choice.Actually I remember that somebody told me that you can use adapters to get it to work so that could be worth a try. Any one else got ideas cause I really have'nt been all that helpful

Advertisement