Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed IP Address

Options
  • 26-11-2001 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm wondering what is required to get a fixed IP address and if there's anyway of getting one outside of a leased line.

Also, I'm getting ADSL on trial from Eircom, and I'm wondering if there's any way that it will be a 'fixed IP'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Most business isp's will offer an analogue or ISDN fixed ip service but youll pay a fair few bucks for it.

Basic adsl will not give you a fixed IP address but I think some of the higher priced ones (1mb down 256k up) come with a static ip.

Search back through the net/comms forum for 'dynamic DNS' and you should find some long threads on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 richarda

You can get a fixed IP address with the trial DSL service with Eircom Net. Simply ask for the person over the phone who is processing the order for you.

I have seen plenty of people with fixed IP's on that service, you just have to have a good enough reason to need one.

Regards,

Richard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

However, I'm still wondering if the likes of iol.ie and eircom.net can give you a fixed IP with a dial up modem....

I'm going to start checking the archives now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

i taught all 'all-ways' connections have a static ip address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Hallo Archie :)

I didnt know that about the static ip, makes sense really, no point in not testing it ;)

You wont get a static ip address with iol, eircom.net(home users), esat fusion(Esat clear, nolimits).

You can get them for eircom net business accounts and esat business accounts(i.e. isp's that have business accounts will provide them), but as I said...you pay for em.

Allways on connections do not mean a static ip address. You may have the same ip for a long time mind you, but reboot, power cut, lose the connection whatever, chances are youll get a new ip address when you reconnect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Any of the ISP's can allocate you a fixed IP on a modem line, but don't expect to get a Fixed IP unless you run a business account and have a particular requirment, mail servers being a common example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by irishguy
    i taught all 'all-ways' connections have a static ip address?

Not over pppoe, yo uactually dial up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    Not over pppoe, yo uactually dial up
    The top Eircom i-stream product comes with a single fixed IP, I was told by an Eircom rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

still dial up though, they just may sure its the same ip you get

Advertisement