Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website looks **** on low res

Options
  • 27-11-2001 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

My website looks like absolute crud on a resolution lower than 1024*768 but I dont want to change it. I know thats stupid and lazy so what I'd like to know is what resolutions are peoples computers set at nowadays, this is the lazy way out I know but I really don't want to change it if I don't need to.

Baz_ the lazy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

From my experience, usually 800 by 600 as the 15" monitors are pretty much what most joe users have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I usually design the sites I write to resize with the browser (by using variable rather than fixed with tables - percentage rather than pixel measurements) and work with a minimum resolution of 800x600 px unless requested otherwise.

The IrelandOFFLine site, for example, should look fine in 800x600, but should still stretch-to-fit in any resolution above that, making the most of the space available.

If your site looks good in 800x600, and your background doesn't tile, reappearing at the right, in higher resolutions (unless you want it to, of course)... you're doing OK.

Where's your site, Baz_?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Personally I use 1024...
    but from any webstats I get from my sites, I would say 4 out of 5 are using 800x600.

So do the maths and way up how important are 4/5 users to you. Its your decision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Generally I make 'em 700px wide - for those using 800x600 (a lot) it leaves plenty of space around the edges for the scrollbar and an uncluttered look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by 80project
    Personally I use 1024...
    but from any webstats I get from my sites, I would say 4 out of 5 are using 800x600.

So do the maths and way up how important are 4/5 users to you. Its your decision!

Thanks for the stats mate, guess I'll have to become unlazy so, scheisser (haha catch that ya stupid censor [don't mean you amp {or do I???}]). ta to the others for their answers too.

Oh and Bard the addy is www.programmingtutorials.org, but it's nowhere near finished yet, oh and I robbed a certain menu code from a certain site I use regularly (but don't tell daddy cloud as I plan to change it when I have a bit of content done for it, and I start promoting).

• Advertisement

BTW The link needs the last comma removed to work in UBB
    like so....
    www.programmingtutorials.org

Baz if you're looking for some JavaScript or Flash Tutorial Links (or general Webmaster) give me a shout- I'll just open my favourites folder out w/ stuff that has been most helpful to me in the past:)

sure just whack it out to me anyway, I'm sure I'll be needing more help in the future, and I'd rather have a tried and trusted resource anyway.

ta for the link fix.

Baz_

I'll churn out a page for you in the next day or two, with some good stuff and maybe a few comments/opinions!

[BTW- I'll post it here:)]

Heres some stuff for you to explore and tinker w/....

http://www.stauntonline.f2s.com/links-webmaster.htm

Enjoy;)

If theres any links broken etc. post back, or if you've any comments:)

Will that page be staying there forever???

I just bookmarked it so do I have to do the unlazy thing again and bookmark each site or not???

• Advertisement

Updates will be thin on the ground in the next few months due to other commitments so take it that, unless I inadvertently delete the file from the server, its staying put:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

For all my pages I tend to use 800 x 600 as the default, using variable width sizes etc. makes sure it looks the same in any resolution. Alot of people still use a 800 x 600 rez and making the webpage look shíte in their browser window is excluding an unnecessary amount of your prospective readers.

Worry not anymore Dave because I'm now

Baz_ the lazy no more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

800*600 for me all the time
    looks fine in 1024...

Advertisement