Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new PC

• 27-11-2001 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

just got a new PC.

p4 1.7
    256 pc-133 sdram
    60g 7200rpm hdd
    GeForce 3 64Mb Ti 200 graphics card
    DVD
    CDburner (separate)
    17in monitor
    awith winXP

now i may have only been using it last night but i found winXP to be okay. once you get rid of the annoying cuteness its all good.

has any one had any problem use XP?

jaz?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

yes, the damn phone home stuff and auto update things are buging me

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

i know not of these boston. what are they?

jaz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

was there a reason you posted your spec, or was that just to make me jealous. oooh and look at that 2 other XP posts on the front page, wonder y you felt the need to create a new one badly mistitled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

pssh that puny spec ?

IVE GOT A SUPER COOLED MONKEY RUNNING WITH AN ABIT HAMSTER AT 6000MPH !!!

what you should have said jaarius was something like

"hello, XP arrived with my new PC today, any issues i should be aware of ?"

end

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

well baz_ the reason i posted the spec was because there had been a number of post about XP. some were with reference to XP performance due to the lack hw speed. now folk can see what machine i have a comment accordingly. i cant tell you why i put in the monitor szie but the rest were ther incase some folk knew stuf about XP that i should be aware off. example yes its good for grahics but bad for something else. if i wanted make you jealous i would post some waaay cooler, tho it would be a lie. also i didnt post in the hw tweaking section because i dont want to hack the hw because everyone in my house i uses it.

badly mistitled? its a new PC... what more do you want?

jaz?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

but your question was
    has any one had any problem use XP?

then would that not make a better title ?

anyways it doesnt matter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

good man GS stealing all my answers, so in reply to your questin jaarius, What GS said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

256 pc-133 sdram

Once again the curse of PC133 Ram slowing down a fast processor.

I havn't used WinXP yet, but I think I'll be sticking to Win2kPro for the moment. Super-stability (for a MS product) and none of that auto-update and phone home stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Originally posted by Gone Shootin

IVE GOT A SUPER COOLED MONKEY RUNNING WITH AN ABIT HAMSTER AT 6000MPH !!!

end

Is that a quad-lubricated monkey with a psychoalgorithmic hamster? Have you tried underwhacking it? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

What leeroybrown said. Your 1.7ghz p4 with pc133 is roughly equivalent to a 1.3ghz p4 with rdram or ddr. But hey, it sounds better, doesn't it!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Ummm, I thought the P4 chipsets only supported RDRAM, and (more recently) DDR RAM ?

This is the first P4 I've heard of using SDRAM.....

Which is besides the point, but anyway...

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox

Is that a quad-lubricated monkey with a psychoalgorithmic hamster? Have you tried underwhacking it? :p

:)

Cheesilize it. Or use some Sahara Gold to get better fur-to-wheel conductivity.

Bonkey, afaik VIA have a chipset that does it. God only knows why, but it's available.
    how did they get the P4 licence off Intel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The intel 845 chipset (which was launched a few months ago) supports both sdram and ddr ram. However due to licensing issues with rambus, intel are only allowing motherboard makers to make sdram motherboards based on it. (i845 ddr boards are coming very soon). Via's p4x266 (and the new p4x266a) support sdram and ddr ram, though only shuttle have built any motherboards based on these chipsets, for fear bringing intels wrath upon themselves. The chipset does not have an official license from intel, but they claim that through owning s3, they have the rights. Theres a major court case going on between via and intel atm, seems to be going nowhere.

SIS have a license for the p4 bus from intel, they have the 645 chipset, which supports ddr, and ddr333. There are a few boards appearing now with this chipset, they just aren't common in europe yet.

The intel 845 with ddr, sis 645 and via p4x266a all offer very similar performance, with the via coming out ahead.

Daveirl, the 845 supports 3 gigs of ram, and for an sdram chipset it is extremely fast, despite this, of course it does not provide the necesssary bandwidth to the p4, and so slows it down by 20-30%.

It has been hailed as "the new bx" by motherboard makers, because it is a solid chipset, with good performance for an sdram chipset, and likewise for ddr.
    This is in contrast to the i815, which is a half arsed design. Argh don't get me started on it!

As a final point, for a good while now, sdram has sneaked in with the p4, from just about every major pc maker, so they can push the p4 as a value machine, and hopefully the customer won't notice. It is an utter waste to buy a machine with the combination of p4 and sdram, if you give a damn about performance.

Advertisement