Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to play quake 3 Arena online

Options
  • 27-11-2001 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Ok sorry about this everybody but I can't seem to do it without your help.
    I'm not a total newbie but I haven't played online quake since quake 1.
    I'm just wondering what exactly I need to play quake 3 online.

I have searched out the servers (games1.iol.ie:27015
    games1.iol.ie:27016
    games1.iol.ie:27017
    kali.ign.ie:27050
    gameshop.ie:2707(5, 6, 7)
    193.120.221.34:2701(5,6))
    And I have tried loading quake 3 by selecting
    (1) Multiplayer
    (2) Specify
    (3) Connect

But for some reason I am left sitting here playing quake 3 against the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vill
    :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

www.barrysworld.com

go there and look up SAS's q3 guide, it should give you all the relevant info.

also, if you are as new as you say you are:

you'll need quake 3 point release 1.30, which adds a whole ton of new features to boxed quake 3. it's about 30meg in size. try ftp.quake.ie for it, its quite fast there.

after this, downloading OSP, a piece of software that adds features to multiplayer quake3, would also be a good idea. it was around 3 meg last time i tried.

get mirc from www.mirc.com, and gamespy from www.gamespy.com, essential stuff.

you'll be able to find some quakers on (m)irc at irc.barrysworld.com port 6667 channel #quake.ie

it's a hell of a lot of hassle and downloading especially if you are on a modem, but it beats the bots.

*you may want to go order isdn too*

good luck

saik

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

those are all cs servers thats why u cant connect :) atm slosh.ign.ie (default port) is the only irish server up atm, go to barrysworld.com to get a list of bw's servers. The irish server is usually empty so get irc and go the server/channels that saik mentioned to get a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Hi Vill.

For most servers that you will connect to, you with need OSP, get it at http://www.orangesmoothie.org

When you unzip that to ure quake3 directory, load up quake3, bring down the console, (its the key to the left of 1), and type :
    "connect slosh.ign.ie"

that should connect you to the current only irish server. There is a (slightly dated, must update) help section up at www.quake.ie, which is basically the main Irish website. that should help you configure q3 in some form.

The list of Barrysworld servers is up at:
    http://www.barrysworld.com/games/gameserverslist.asp?game=quake+3+arena

If you are learning, you are as well off play away for a while on the FFA servers there til you get pretty good, then look for a team to play for.

hope it helps.

Z.

Advertisement