Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard-Drive Probs + Win2k

• 27-11-2001 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    not a happy camper with win2k this week, when it all runs fine its grand but when it doesnt...

anyway, i had everything up and running smoothly.
    I upgraded from win98 to win2k leavin that option at the boot up of choosin either.

All was well with my ille hard drives till i installed the Service Pack2 for win2k.
    Win2k is on one 3gb hard-drive while win98 is on another with 3 partitions, one for appz, one for games and one for the system itself.

Anyway after installing the service pack win2k is tellin me that my big hard-drive with the 3 partitions is not formated and do i want to format it, NO. if i go into win98 there is no problems and it see's the partitions and all fine.
    I can't really format it cos of the size of the partions about 8gb each, and i don't have any real way of backing them up. they really are the back up. Soooooooo does anyone have any ideas??? I REALLY don't want to format it but its too much of a pain just to use 98 for appz +games and win2k for other stuff which is not a lot. just when i was gettin used to it too. :(

Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Am, is the 3GB drive with Win2k on it formatted in NFTS? Can win98 see it?

How have you formatted the other drive/what size, more detail neccessary.

I've never bothered setting up a dual-booting machine before, though i've seen ones with setups running fine.

What do you use to choose at startup?

*could* be somethign with the File Allocation Table or master Boot Record. Grabbing at straws here like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Here are two things you might want to try!
    1. Delete the partition table for all your windowze partitions or just the 98(or) 2k partitions and install a nice *nix variant, problem solved hehe.

2. Revert your 2k install with system restore - if it was identifying the suckblowz98-FAT32 parititions before the install of the service pack then doing system restore might "fix" this problem.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Win98 was orginally installed on the 20gb which has 3 partitiions.
    1.The o/s + antivirus.
    2. Appz
    3. Games

I then installed a 2nd hard drive (3gb) which has worked fine in the past, used it for back up and a second copy of win98 for movin files from my comp to friends etc.
    Then i installed win2k on this 3gb.

At first all was rosey, with win2k and win98, the dual bootup being part of the win2k installition.

Then after i updated all the shortcuts (took years) and all was still rosey. YES rosey.

A bit later i installed the win2k service pack2 and all of a sudden win2k thinks the 20gb hard-drive isn't formatted.

If i'm runnin win98 i can see and access the win2k hard-drive. Its only when your in Win2k that you can't see the win98 hard-drive.

Hope thats a little more clear, i'm not the only one that this happened to either, i went lookin everywhere on the net and was surprised to see that other ppl had the exact same problem, no real solution tho.

I think that system restore is the best idea if i can find/ or still have them files. NFTS isn't the prob cos i was able to see the win98 hd before installed the patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Well NFTS should only be a problem for the win98 machine anyways.
    AFAIK Win2k can read NFTS and FAT16/32 drives no problem, win98SE can only get FAT16/32.

If you revert it'll get rid of everything but the 128-bit encryption. That stays.
    I'd reccomend getting a third hard drive, take out that 3GB (the interface is probably pre-UDMA33 anyways) and just do a total reinstall, using FAT32 on both drives.

20GB is nothing really. I have a 30GB MAxtor (i know...:( ) and I really want a 40-80GB drive for christmas. There's only so much you can fit on an 80-min CDR.

So many mp3s, games and DiVXes - so little space.

Advertisement