Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Symbol

• 27-11-2001 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

How can people get the euro symbol up on word & excel documents?
    Dreadful Symbol really.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

If you have a Euro keyboard € on the 4 on the top numeric row and you are using Win98/2k/Me/Xp, hold down Alt Gr key (on the right of the space bar) and press 4 If you are using Win 95 you can download the update from Micro$oft

jbkenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

... and make sure you have configured an Irish (or British) layout in Control Panel/Keyboard.

You don't necessarily need a keyboard that has € symbol on the 4 key - mine doesn't and ALTGR-4 works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Above information ismonly partly right.

Because some keyboards dont have an alt gr key, the offical MS way to display the euro is -:

Ensure numlock is active
    Hold down the Alt key
    Press 0128
    Release the ALT key

Bobs ur uncle.

Remember some fonts are not euro compliant, so best to stick to standard ones if ur having difficulty.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

CORKO, what operating system are we talking about ?

i was called into a butchers in town to get their Widows95 pc euro symbol compliant

deaded to www.microsoft.com, did a search, found correct file for op system, downloaded, install, restart, and there ya go, euroific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Lograce

Try ctrl+alt+e

Sorted!!!:
    Man U 0 Chelsea 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With the deadline less than 1 month away now, and loads of ppl who are gonna pose this question in the coming weeks, maybe we should put a sticky at the top of the forum with the most common ways of doing it and/or fixes :) hey MODS!!!:D

NOOOO !!

i wana make some money of this, offering a EURO COMPLIANT UPGRADE PACKAGE to all over cork

muhahahaha

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

L€€T :D

btw this isnt a rubish post i wasent expecting my symbols to work as usually i can only see ikkle box's

i recomend the Xterminator method as none of the rest worked on this old, unupdated ver of Win 95 ;)

l€€t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

although I'm sure the vast majority of boards users know how to display the euro symbol, i've stickyfied this thread anyway just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    NOOOO !!

i wana make some money of this, offering a EURO COMPLIANT UPGRADE PACKAGE to all over cork

muhahahaha

;)

can i get in on some of that action? mmm con folk out of money in cork:]

jaz?

well when theres a scam to be had ill be there

i just sent in my advert to the local news rag, some xmas dosh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The simple answer to how to display the Euro is:

If you have an ALT-GR key (usually next to the spacebar, on the right), press ALT-GR+4.

If you don't have an ALT-GR key, press CTRL+ALT+4.

If you don't have a CTRL key or an ALT-GR key (what???) or you're just stuck in the past, turn on NUM-LOCK and press ALT-0128.

If you don't have a CTRL key, an ALT key OR an ALT-GR key, BUY A NEW KEYBOARD or copy and paste this: €

If you're still using Windows95 (WHY???) and you haven't updated it with the Euro fonts update, update it now.

While you're at it, you might as well update it for the Y2K bug.

To do conversions between all the Euro currencies and the € (Euro) itself, you could use a utility like Currency Converter Pro, written by yours truly.

For more information on the Euro, to get the Euro currency screensaver, training pack, font, and a fearsome ROTATING ANIMATED GIF OF A EURO COIN!!!, see the ECBI (Euro Changeover Board of Ireland) web site at http://www.gov.ie/ecbi-euro/ .

Next!!!...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

lol Bard i cant see ANY of the euro symbols in YOUR post smarty pants tongue.gif the only one i can get it to display on this machine - (win 95 and im in work so no updates here rolleyes.gif ) the only method i can get it to appear is the ALT+0128 = € which works a treat ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    CORKO, what operating system are we talking about ?

i was called into a butchers in town to get their Widows95 pc euro symbol compliant

deaded to www.microsoft.com, did a search, found correct file for op system, downloaded, install, restart, and there ya go, euroific

Hahaha, they paid you for that?

"Good on you" is what I say.

Love it.

us students gota make money somehow ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

One final one to watch for is that the Euro symbol only exists in certain fonts Arial, Times New Roman etc. Therefore if someone is using Futura or one of the many other add-on fonts in Word or Excel they can try any Alt Gr 4, +128 or whatever else they want, but will never get a Euro symbol.

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    lol Bard i cant see ANY of the euro symbols in YOUR post smarty pants tongue.gif

you should probably upgrade (or at least patch) your O/S then.

• Advertisement

ill do it, competitive rates offered ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

There's a Windows update now that sets all PCs in the EU to use the euro as their default currency setting:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Originally posted by Bard

read the rest of my post please ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm using Win98se and can't use the access the euro
    symbol I've tried all the fixes above and even changed the fonts
    but no luck all I get at best is a black square. HELP!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

98se has built in support for the €uro in most fonts. Something must have overwritten the fonts that came with the os with older versions. Do you see the euro symbol I did above?

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can see the euro symbol on this thread, yesterday I was on a web site, unfortunatly I cant remember which, where the euro
    signs were not formed instead it was a collection of letters and numbers, anyway right now on the Ireland.com and Indo
    sites the euro symbol is showing, but I still can't type the damn thing! BTW I'm using Notepad to try, not Word or Excel which I dont have or need.

I've just tried Wordpad and its there! so why not in Notepad?
    Will this show hang on....€ yes. problem fixed whereever it was!

Did things change becasue I switched fonts?

Just tried notepad again still nothing.Odd.

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

"Notepad uses a special font that is no longer being maintained. That font was not included in the euro compatibility packages. Thus, the symbol cannot be used in Notepad"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Notepad has changeable fonts. The one I have seen set to default is fixedsys. Surely it would be simple for someone to add a euro symbol to this font set? I dunno how font sets are created :)

In Notepad, I changed my font to Lucida Sans Unicode a long time ago (MENU: Format>Font) and it contains the € EURO symbol.
    Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    There's a Windows update now that sets all PCs in the EU to use the euro as their default currency setting:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

eh... or you can just go into your regional settings in control panel, click the currency tab and choose it there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Get a new Computer !!!!

Kidding (maybe) Cut and paste it into the document or where ever, or Get a new Computer !!!!

Update keyboard drivers,
    do what everyone tells you to do.
    Get a new Computer !!!!

Hope this helps

Advertisement