Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southcoast Digital Licence Application

• 28-11-2001 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Did you all know that Etain Doyle is about to hand a monopoly over an important segment of the broadcasting spectrum to Rupert Murdoch? At least, that's what it looks like from her response to Southcoast Community TV's application for a digital terrestrial broadcast licence. I don't know if any of you have read the 'consultation document' which the ODTR issued last September, dated 31 August, but it makes interesting reading indeed. ( www.odtr.ie )

Basically, in her discussion document, the regulator raises the question of whether the 11.7 to 12.5 Ghz band is suitable for DTT broadcast and for local/regional services. There were two inter-related aspects to this.

The first question is: Would DTT broadcasting in the 12.5Ghz band interfere with reception of satellite signals?

The second is: Should Ireland implement a decision by the European Radiocommunications Committee (ERC) which reserves the 12.5Ghz band to fixed and satellite broadcasting?

While ITU regulations allocate the band to fixed, broadcasting, and broadcasting-satellite services, the discussion document states: “The ERC Decision proposes that the band be used for satellite reception. There would therefore be potential for interference from a terrestrial transmitter to satellite receivers operating in the same section of the band.”

First question: SCTV’s tests show no interference with satellite reception. SCTV’s experts, Professor Ray Hills and Dr Eddie O’Gorman, were categorical on this point. And the US Federal Communications Commission, after extensive testing, recently concluded that the provision of DTT by MDS America, same as proposed by Southcoast, does not interfere with satellite broadcasting in the 12.5Ghz band.

In its First Report and Order, the FCC states: “A new terrestrial fixed multi-channel video distribution and data service can operate in the 12.2-12.7Ghz band on a non-harmful interference basis with incumbent broadcasting satellite services (BPS) and a co-primary basis with non-geostationary fixed satellite service (BSS) providers.” It continues that MDS “could be used to deliver a wide array of video programming, including local television and data services, in both urban and rural areas”.

Other independent tests, carried out last July by consultants LCC International, support the FCC’s conclusions and indicate no interference takes place.

Second question: Iceland is a signatory to the ERC and has ratified the ERC Decision which seems to worry the Regulator. Yet Iceland has become the first country in Europe to issue a licence for DTT using the MDS hypercable system. Clearly, implementing the decision is no barrier to issuing a licence; and, conversely, if the ODTR issues a licence to SCTV, this will not preclude Ireland from ratifying and implementing the decision.

However, there is no need to implement it, and Ireland could follow Denmark’s lead and decide not to implement it: all we are obliged to do is observe ITU rules, which do allocate this band to DTT among other uses.

To implement the ERC decision and interpret it to mean that it could not be used for DTT, only for satellite, would be to hand a monopoly over this waveband to BSkyB, which the ODTR elsewhere in the document acknowledges is an external, unregulated provider. And there’s not likely to be an Irish satellite to compete with Sky, which now has over 140,000 subscribers here yet does not carry two of the main UK channels which Irish providers are obliged to offer.

Or are there actually secret plans by an Irish company to broadcast digital satellite? Does the ODTR know something we don't? Oh, no! Not another exclusive monopoly! Please, give us relief.

Here's some background I got from a friend in the meeja: couldn't figure out how to attach it!!
    :confused: :mad:

Vigilant

PS -- Not just SCTV's experts, but the US FCC and a recognised independent firm of consultants, all say "THERE'S NO INTERFERENCE TO SATELLITE!!". Does Ms Etain Doyle know something they don't?

SOUTH COAST COMMUNITY TELEVISION: FACT FILE

Southcoast Community Television (SCTV) is based in Carrigaline, Co Cork. The company is non-profit making, and is made up of its members. Members are those who pay an annual subscription to receive its signals, currently £50 per annum, less than £1 a week. The organisation was set up and began rebroadcasting British channels in 1985.

SCTV rebroadcasts four British TV channels, BBC1, BBC2, ITV (HTV), and S4C in the UHF band, in which it has a licence until December 31, 2003. It has about 25 transmitters and covers two-thirds of Co Cork together with parts of west Co Waterford and Kerry.

SCTV planned to begin digital TV transmission this Christmas (2001), beaming a minimum of 20 TV channels and 18 stereo radio channels to members/subscribers.

This minimum service, which also includes a high speed internet connection using a small PC interface, will cost only €15 (euro) per month (£11.99). Cable and MMDS providers' basic packages start at 50% more - and are double this in some areas.

Premium services similar to those available from cable and satellite suppliers will also be available.

SCTV has over 12,000 household members. Its catchment area includes upwards of 70,000 households (250,000+ people) in counties Cork, Kerry, and Waterford. Because the service is free to air and subscriptions are voluntary, 11,000 more households receive it free. Market research shows many of these, plus many who do not now receive it, would sign up for the paid digital service.

SCTV’s market penetration is second only to RTE’s in the area served, despite multi-channel competition from MMDS operator Chorus since 1989.

SCTV plans to use a revolutionary French system, developed by a company called MDS International, which essentially has adapted digital satellite broadcast technology for terrestrial use, using the same segment of the waveband, 11.7 to 12.5 gigahertz. MDS calls its system HYPERCABLE.

A key implication of this is that no interference with existing satellite signals would occur.

The capital cost of this technology is relatively low compared to cable or MMDS. This would open up the business of digital service provision to greater competition, as the technology can be easily replicated nationally.

The technology will allow the dream of true community TV to be realised. Southcoast has plans to broadcast its own local channel, with material created by such organisations as sports clubs, educational and training bodies, cultural, business, religious, farming, and community groups, voluntary groups and NGOs, as well as local news and entertainment.

SCTV’s own studios and technical backup facilities are already in place. They will be made available to help community contributors make their programmes.

SCTV will also cooperate with schools and colleges, especially those offering radio and TV courses, for students to use its facilities and broadcast to the community.

SCTV’s set-top box and antenna will cost £85 including installation. It will be available on the open market as well as from SCTV, unlike satellite systems, so if subscribers find it at a discount they are free to save that amount.

ends

SOUTH COAST’S LICENCE APPLICATION: FACT FILE

SCTV applied for its digital terrestrial TV (DTT) licence in November 2000, and receipt was acknowledged. Two successful test periods under licence from the ODTR had convinced the organisation that MDS International’s HYPERCABLE system, broadcasting in the 11.7-12.5Ghz band, could bring multi-channel digital TV and radio, plus internet and data links, to its local market at affordable rates.

In its application, SCTV stressed the need for competition among service providers to bring choice and cost savings to TV consumers. It pointed out that DTT in this band could facilitate local and regional broadcast, that the system was easily replicable and had relatively low capital costs, and thus offered the potential to bring real competition to the sector, in contrast to the geographic monopolies now operating.

SCTV underlined the urgency of a timely reply to its application, given the timetable already set down for transition to digital by the ODTR and the need to begin work in order to provide continuity of service between analogue and digital in the given timeframe. This was something the ODTR itself had emphasised as important.

Six months later, in May 2001 the ODTR told Southcoast that a consultation process would be necessary, which it hoped would begin at the end of June.

In August 2001, eight months after the licence application, Southcoast’s solicitors wrote to the ODTR giving notice of legal proceedings. In September, the ODTR issued its discussion document, dated August 31, and set October 12 as final date for submissions.

On August 20, a couple of weeks before this document appeared, the Icelandic regulatory authority issued a DTT licence to Icelandmiddel, a TV service provider proposing to use the MDS HYPERCABLE system in the 12.5Ghz band - exactly the same as Southcoast.

From 9 October, four weeks were allowed by the ODTR for consideration of submissions, "resources permitting". That would have meant an announcement from the ODTR on 9 November, if "resources" permitted. As it is now 27 November, SCTV can celebrate the first anniversary of its digital licence application!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!:confused: :mad: :D

Comments

I am in favour of competition in all areas of business,especially in Digital television;where de-facto Rupert Murdock has a Monopoly,in its entirety,not just the waveband talked about here.
    SCTV have provided a low cost "deflector" type service of the basic 4 UK channels for a long time, and quite rightly deserve praise for their efforts thus far.

However,I can see quite a few problems connected with what they are proposing here.
    MMDS is from my experience a disaster, in Ireland as a TV platform. Unlike UHF,you need a direct line of sight from your aerial to the transmitter.You also have a very tiny beam to work with when pointing your aerial.This means that unless the aerial is secured very tightly,the slightest gust of wind and you lose your pictures.This problem would be compounded when you are looking for a digital mmds signal,as although the transmitter power will be higher,the receiver will need all the signal it will get, to lock. With the many Windy rainy nights in rural Ireland,I predict No reception!
    Now faced with that, and costly call out's by engineers to correct it,Murdocks monopoly might get even bigger as word of digruntlement will spread.
    The Christmas storms of a few years ago for instance left the mmds system in disseray for quite a while , where as RTE's transmission network was only barely affected.Thats why I favour DTT through a UHF aerial,It has a very much wider transmission beam,virtually ruling out the "windy rainy night,no pictures syndrome".

The requirement to have a direct line of sight,will mean, that there would have to be many "beam benders" or mini Transmitters installed all over the place,thereby compounding the problems on a stormy night!

Have SCTV ever had an MMDS network? AFAIK,they only re-broadcast on UHF.I presume that they have carried out tests with MMDS prior to an application to the ODTR for a licence?,if so I presume these are on-going?
    You see,for a system like this that is so terrain dependent, a significant number of tests would be crucial.Theres no point in promising the Earth to the ODTR,if when you start your service, its only working in a minimal amount of homes-thats what gives a service a bad reputation and gives an extra spurt to the March of SKY!
    The need for many "beam benders" also would increase the risk of interfering with Sky, as no doubt some where there would be a problem and then theres trouble.Its unlikely imo that any small scale test of MMDS on the same frequencies as Sky would provide enough proof of no interference,as if theres a problem, its only likely to turn up when a full service is operating.
    Then its too late and the money is Wasted.Theres no point quoting Iceland as an example, as I don't think ,you are comparing like with like-There are nearly 200,000 Sky Digiboxes in the Republic at the moment-a far more menacing problem for SCTV,than for their comrades in Iceland.

Regarding , local programmes and studio's up and running,internet etc.This deserves a lot of merit-But again,you cannot avoid the issue of cost here.Large corporations like NTL and Chorus promised the Earth to the ODTR and are struggling under the financial pressure to offer, the smallest amount of their promises.Imagine going back to the SCTV Customer looking for more capital-another reason to go back to Sky,it's not a marriage.

Factor in aswell the charges that will have to be paid to the BBC and ITV,regulatory charges and levies which I presume were never paid before and you are looking at a monthly charge that might be cheaper than all else, but would want to get over the hurdles, I've mentioned in order to be a runner.
    Just a few thoughts which I hope help.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Rupert has the monopoly because he provides the best service.

i hate ppl biatching about how money grubbing sky are, and then they compare sky movies to say Tv1000 or Sports to Canal+.
    What they never see is that Sky have put 4 kick ass birds in the sky exclusively for Sky digital how many other digital packages have 4 satellites and a fifth for "other channels"

Sky had massive overheads until sometime last year and are only beginning to make their profits now, if you wanna beat sky then put 6 birds up there and combine that with 15 years of experience and relationships with some of the best tv channels around.

I know Sky provides the best service-agreed 100% Chernobyl!
    I don't agree with their virtual monoply though, and like you say , if anyone wants to challenge them-and they have the where-with-all, to do that let them do so.
    The market and the service they provide will either make them sink or swim.
    I'm afraid an mmds system though will be doing more sinking than swimming.
    In my case I am not bitching about the money Sky are getting at all really. I am just hoping that another service provider will have the "wherewithall" and the Quality to Challenge Sky.
    As a consumer,we all deserve that and it will mean less money going out of our pockets!
    If its an Irish system,its downstream benefits from an Economic point of view,compared to Sky(most of whose revenues leave the country) would be better by far.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vigilant

Main point, Madman: SCTV's chosen technology is not MMDS, does not rely on beam benders, etc etc. It is a broadcast standard technology which will not suffer from the problems you outline. I know MMDS is crap — and it's dangerous radiation-wise.

:confused: Thought: wasn't it the famous Ray Burke of Flood Tribunal fame who allowed this nasty and useless technology into the country? Hmmm!

MDS International have a website with full details (I'll check URL and post later). There's also some material on the ICDG site, but I'm not sure it's strictly accurate to describe it as a variation on MMDS. In fact, given how awful MMDS is, it could be libellous(?) However, my understanding is that the Hypercable system involves very low power transmitters and stable reception even in windy conditions. The antenna can in many cases be mounted in an attic space.

Isn't it crazy that SCTV have not updated their site with all this info? When you go there, you get a 'coming soon' notice on the digital service page!!!

As to Rupe's service, good or bad it's not the business of the Regulator to protect him. Anyhow, he doesn't need it. SCTV's local/regional system would allow other operators to start up digital services, competing with all comers, including Sky, cable, MMDS, and national DTT. It seems to be a relatively cheap technology, if SCTV can deliver a full package for £11.99 pm, so why not let new and existing service providers use it? Iceland is going that route, but you make some fair points about their local conditions. But the US, satellite heaven and with a very strict regulatory regime, has tested it and found it not just OK but suitable.

Chernobyl, wouldn't you like to see Irish operators doing well out of an affordable technology and beating Rupert at his own game?

Have you seen Rebel 18's posting of 22/11/01 in this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by vigilant

Chernobyl, wouldn't you like to see Irish operators doing well out of an affordable technology and beating Rupert at his own game?

Im not in any way patriotic and i dont care who provides the best service, but thats where i will invest my viewing time, and theres no one in ireland or even europe to beat Sky, and sky is only improving.
    But im not completely sky gaga, i do realise that there are far more channels out there, even better than sky's, but for simplicity and certain quality, i would advise any1 to get sky, if they ask, whats the best digital package.

• Advertisement

, i would advise any1 to get sky, if they ask, whats the best digital package.

True-but the majority don't think that way-they will weigh up the cost of the digital package aswell.
    If I want to buy a car,I can spend £200k on an all singing all dancing dream machine-But I won't when I can get almost as much satisfaction out of the 17 K model
    There is no alternative to Sky at the moment-full stop-
    Those that have it at the moment are those that can afford it and who are the type of people who want Digital at Sky's rates.
    What I mean by that is;A lot of homes have them already-but there must be 5 or 6 times that amount who don't.

Its a bit like saying we're in a bad recession now-doom and gloom, with 80k or so unemployed-remember the good old 1980's when there were 3 times that number out of work.

Sky's numbers are good-but they aint that good!-just like the dole queues are getting longer but they aint that long!

This whole digital game is in it's infancy still abnd we aint seen nothing yet :)
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I would probably have the same attitude towards it, and am wondering why they are bothering with such a service, especially an untested and unproven one. DTT through UHF can probably only be the only viable alternative to digital satellite, though satellite will always have the advantage. The 12.5GHz band could probably be worse than MMDS, as it would be much more sensitive to any sort of misalignments, or geographical conditions compared to a UHF or MMDS system.

Other than the internet service that they're planning, I don't see any way that it could compete with Sky, or possibly DTT if it was to be as good as it was claimed to be going to.

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

Originally posted by vigilant

Have you seen Rebel 18's posting of 22/11/01 in this forum?

Thanks im honoured:)

Advertisement