Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Modem Connection Q

Options
  • 28-11-2001 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

i'm getting ntl cable :D soon
    the configuration @ home will be
    3 pc's all with nic cards connected to a hub.
    then the hub uplinked to the cable modem.

any one see problems with this?
    i'd like to avoid ics if possible as it relies on one of the other pc's being turned on.

suggestions?
    thanks
    david

ps os's are w2k,Xp and 98se

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

no problem, it will work, btw, be sure to report back what ntls new cable set up is like wont you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Unless NTL give you more than one IP address?? it won't work. You'll need something between the PCs and the cable modems to run NAT. You can get boxes from Linksys and Macsense that would do the job.

http://www.xsense.com/Product/xrouter/mih130.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Afaik you cant.. The cable modem doesnt act as a NAT Router, Its simply assigns an IP to the first computer that requests it. You'd have to set up ICS (internet connection sharing) or NAT (Network address translation) on the machine that grabs the IP from the modem.

Thats why u get one of them funny subnets 255.255.255.248 .. Only 2 ips. one on their end, and one on yours

Afaik, the ntl cable modems have a built in router so the single ip souldnt be a problem then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

They may have a builtin router.... however that doesn't mean that they support NAT..

And from what the others are saying, it sounds like it's not a router at all.. just a modem.

Gav

• Advertisement

well i havent seen the new one, or infact the old one, but i saw the one before that, and it seemed to have a router. I persumed from my experience that all routers had nat. maybe im wrong

Anybody else find it odd that theres no website for the new cable modem, i mean nowhere to look up spec !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    well i havent seen the new one, or infact the old one, but i saw the one before that, and it seemed to have a router. I persumed from my experience that all routers had nat. maybe im wrong
    In general, routers do not do NAT although some are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hey,

does anyone know exactly where the cable modem goes.

And what's teh diff between the ethernet and USB version.

NTL are a bit confused about the whole thing so I need to know what's the best.

Anyone got ANY info?

- Kevin

c-modem goes between the pc and the wall

ethernet requires nic cards in the pc's to be installed
    usb just connects in to the usb port.

//MiCr0

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MiCr0
    c-modem goes between the pc and the wall

ethernet requires nic cards in the pc's to be installed
    usb just connects in to the usb port.

Ah right,
    That clears it up a good bit.

Do you know if it's possible to get the ethernet modem without the installation charge, since I was thinking of setting up a linux machine as a gateway machince on an old comp which probably doesn't have USB.

What way are you setting it up yourself, which are you getting?

Thanks,

- Kevin

i don't think you can escape the install charge
    they are the ppl who deliver the modem to ya,
    also i think there is cabling to be done too

Really, that sucks ass bigtime.
    I have an ethernet card myself.

Who bills you for that do you know?

From reading the DSL thread on USB vs Ethernet i'm thinking I want to go with Ethernet, but I really don't want to pay 70 quid for some bloke to pop a network card in my comp.

FFS 70 quid!

- Kevin

Advertisement