Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless lan between houses.

• 28-11-2001 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all,
    This seems like the right forum for this question. I'd be interested in setting up a wireless lan between my house and a neighbour of mine in the same estate. Only problem is I dont have the first clue how one might manage this. I've been looking at wireless lan cards but these seem to have a limited range and the house I want to connect to is 300 to 400 meters away. I was wondering has anyone else set up a local (as in housing estate) network using wireless technology. It sound like it should be easy to do given the right equipment. Any help would be appreciated.
    Clamor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

as long as u have line of sight ure sorted. Just buy two of those kits that CorkWAN are using. Details of those kits & where to buy can be gotten off Yellum I'd say. Bung an aerial on each roof pointing in the right direction and bobs ure uncle.

saying that tho if its only 300m between houses you might be able to get a long range desktop wireless hub that could do the trick... dodgy tho, better off to to with the aerial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

Much appreciated. I'll check it out and see if I can get it set up.
    Clamor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Do you have line of sight ?

You can use an external antenna with the cards.

For 300-400 meters a small indoor antenna might work on either side. If not an external one will be needed.

Do you have prices for cards and antennas and cabling ?

DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

I havn't invested any thing yet but time. I'm doing a bit of R&D so to speak.
    I'm thinking though that I would need an external antenna.
    But my understanding it, correct me if I'm wrong, that for a simple setup i.e. point to point 2 PC. I would need 2 PC's with 2 wireless adapter cards, 1 access point, necessary cabling and antenna. Would the access point be connect to one of the PC as the node and the second PC using an antenna to establish a link.
    Rgds,
    Clamor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

An Access Point is only needed for multiple pcs. What you need is 2 pcs 2 wireles cards , 2 directional antennae or omnidirectional would do but they are more expensive.

The cards need adaptors for pci slots, cabling and adaptors for the cable to plug into the cards.

This could cost up to £300 on each side. Try vbnets.com for an Irish supplier. Ebay has some cheap cards too and u might get lower speed cards if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

just wonderin if ya ever went through with setting up this lan. and how it went etc. Thinking of doing the same although the other house is a bit further away on the opposite side of the estate road, but still line of sight.

Advertisement