Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

v.92

• 28-11-2001 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

According to this techcentral.ie article the new v.92 standard is supported by a number of Irish ISPs. (Eircom, Indigo, Esat Fusion, IOL and Oceanfree) These modems are now available in Maplin and places like PCWorld etc. Also from Dabs and other places. I'm about to buy one but I've been wondering about ppl's experiences with them. Some feedback please...

Do the extra features work? (see the above page for details on v.92)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

the feedback, is its a lie, no irish isp have v.92
    i checked about 3 months back, and i havent heard any mention on the boards. So no save your money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

hmm... how did u check? going by what i've read (and that's all I know) v.92 is supported. the page says that they called up some different ISPs and were told they it was supported. not that i trust the ISPs... i'll do some investigation myself and post back here what i find out. ne1 else kno ne thing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

afaik, the cost was too expensive for the small gain in performance, and a member of this community had asked and tested every irish isp and none supported it.

oh, that's a pity. it doesn't seem too expensive. there is a pci v.92 modem available in maplin for about £40. while it is a dodgy brand modem, i've have great experience with brandless an 'generic' type modems. but if the isps dont support the technology, what's the point in buying it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

He ment it will cost the ISP's thousands of money for them to be able to support v.92 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hi eoge, i looked into this a while back and pretty much am certain, v92 is STILL not supported here (though it is supported in bugger all places in fairness).

Verified this through hyperterminal, have a look at this previous thread on the same topic for more info.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

thanx. oh well... i'm off to buy a v.90 56k.

what a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eoge - a v.92 modem should still function just fine as a v.90 modem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

sssssss ssssss BANG

thats my internal fusebox disintergrating.

rang eircom visa vee the new v.92 standard. got onto tech support

ME : "Hi, does eircomnet support the new v.92 standard"

AIDEN : "No"

ME : "um, ok, does eircomnet plan to support the new v.92 standard in the future"

AIDEN : "No we wont be doing that"

ME : "ok, can I ask why"

AIDEN : "We didnt bother with v.92 as we are trying to push High-Speed instead"

ME : "*sigh*, ok, would you know if a v.92 modem is backwards compliant with v.90 ?"

AIDEN : "Im afraid I dont sir"

and there it was, first off the sheer unwillingness of Aiden to talk to me in a comforting manner, and the fact that he so blately said "WE DIDNT BOTHER" and "PUSHING HIGH SPEED".

Now to be fair it is their perogitive as to which tech they want to use, but to be honest if Ireland to be the HUB of this that and the other thing how is it that the people that live here are in the dark ages ? And they tout themselves as Irelands leading ISP ? Yes, ISP as in "Igorance Service Provider"

I can see now why those passionate people with Ireland Offline are so angry and determined.

Well im gona get the moden neway and hope against hope that it does something to get more than 33.6.

better get a new internal fusebox :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

The V.92 protocol (or modem specification or whatever you want to call it) has three improvements over V.90.

These are:

1) a faster dial up time: apparently it's twice as fast to connect to a server with V.92, so it will take you 20 seconds instead of 40, approximately

2) a slightly faster upload speed: with V.90 your max upload speed will be 33.6kbps. Apparently with V.90 it will be 48kbps.

3) a modem-on-hold feature: this means when you're connected to the net and you get a phone call, you stay connected (presumably your downloads will pause) and you can take a call

You can read all about V.92 here:
    http://www.v92.com/v92_faq.htm

Now I can't verify this, but apparently (check how many times I've used that word!!) for an ISP to enable V.92 access it has to upgrade all the modem banks it has. This would probably cost a good bit of cash and your connection wouldn't be much better as a result.

So maybe that's why no Irish ISP is offering V.92 access.

Does anybody know of *any* ISP doing V.92?

-Son of Blam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

We will soon be introducing V92 compatibility... no that's a lie, we won't introduce V92 because our main aim is to introduce speedy and cost-effective broadband services... actually no, that's also a lie. Our main aim is to see how far we can fit our hands up our asses. Our recommendation is that you upgrade to a little-known connection type we like to call "2 plastic cups and a string".

Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

No luck Zaphod, apparently Etain Doyle has blocked the introduction of the new "Strings Attached" internet offer on the grounds that the installation cost of a piece of string and a used yogurt cup shouldn't be £171. Eircon reacted by saying that it "can't possibly be expected to offer broadstring internet access to a population of tight-ársed, sheep-fairing idiots".

When asked by a reporter, why it referred to it's customers in such a manner, an Eircon representative stated that it had a "monopoly on the telecommunications industry in Ireland" and that it could do what it liked. The representative also said that it would be "madness to introduce cost effective 'always-on' broadstring access" when it is "making a killing" on per-second billing.

Advertisement