Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAX/DECstation gear available (free)

Options
  • 28-11-2001 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

For pickup in Galway City centre:

DEC monitors (large, as used with VAXstations and DECstations):

6 x VR-299
    2 x VR-290-D3

MIPS-based DECstations (and associated cabling):

3 x DECstation 5000/120
    1 x DECstation 5000/200

VAXstation 3500 (includes VCB02 framebuffer, ethernet, 280MB disk, TK70 tape, 16MB RAM) in _large_ _heavy_ enclosure (BA213, aka "S-box"). For picture (front row, left and right - the drawings below show slightly different configurations, but same overall size):

http://www.home.mcmanis.com/vaxes.html

We're talking two people required to lift this thing.

Other bits:

2 x DEC keyboards (most likely LK401, but might be LK201)
    4 x DEC mice (most likely the round hockey-puck VSXXX-AA)
    4 x AUI-to-BNC transceivers
    1 x AUI-to-RJ45 transceiver

Contact me if you need more information

There are efforts underway to port Linux to all these systems.

John.
    --

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm not personally asking for one of the machines, as I would only be learning on them and probably wouldn't put o0ne to as much use as it could be by someone else, BUT, is there any chance those monitors have 15-pin VGA conenctors? or even BNC...

A computer society might get a fair bit of use out of em.

They look cool though :)

PS: Can they be overclocked? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

God,

We used to have a DECstation 5000/200 here called mcssys. It was running Ultrix and was our oldest nix workstation. It might actually still be in the attic.

The motherboard's only about two and a half years old. Near the end of it's life it went and it was replaced onsite within two days. Good old Dec quality support, eh? A distant memory now in an age where a customer support line is a single phone locked in a sound proof box so that the ringing won't disturb the accountants.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

NUIGalway CompSoc might be interested in them.

When I see someone who'd make a decision like that I'll ask them.

Eof only heard of this Wedensday I think.
    his face lit up.

I was talking to Damien last night. CompSoc are definitely interested.

Afaik, Damien was going to pop into Cloud this morn. Havn't been talking to him since.

• Advertisement

Hi all -

I haven't been checking in here really, was waiting for some e-mail replies but mayhem is picking up some stuff this evening, if there's anything left I will post here.

John.

Looks like the best of the spoils have been raided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Not yet emch - just posted to sin.

Damien and I called in today, but as explained you're not at the office during office hours. Eof should have sent you an e-mail but he was obviously distracted. I've sent you an e-mail and any arrangements you want to make will be forwarded on to the relevant people.

Good to see there is still some good stuff left.

Any chance there's an old 14"/15" VGA monitor lying around?
    I have to use a really, really old Olivetti one at the moment.
    No power switch, plugs into the AT power supply, refreshes at 60Hz at 640x480, dirty, one previous owner.
    Going to clean it up and spray it.
    Would make a lovely bird feeder if I could blagg a monitor from a store room where it's just talking up space....
    Saw some nice ones lying in the room with teh Switch Rack in teh Civil Engineering Building......hint hint.
    Will collect and buy a pint or two..... :)

Advertisement