Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cgi language

Options
  • 28-11-2001 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

At the moment I'm favouring perl because I know some of it already but I would like to know others opinions on which language they find good for cgi programming and why. I don't mind learning a new language, so I won't accept stick with what you know for an answer (except maybe from amp or GS [because they'll more than likely be messing]).

ta

Baz_

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I've been using JSP for the last year and I have to say it rocks. The only problem is finding a good host (I use www.cqhost.com) at the moment and they seem to be the best I've tried so far.

You should really be looking into PHP, it's very similar to Perl except it was designed and built for CGI programming. Plus there are thousands of resources out there, seems like everyone knows this one :)

Try ASP if you like VB and don't mind being tied to a Microsoft-based server (Yes I know there are implementations on Unix but they lack a lot of features IMHO).

Of course there's nothing really wrong with learning Perl for another while, you'll be able to use it outside CGI for little throwaway scripts etc. so don't forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

What I mean is can I not use that for little throaway scripts??

Does anyone know anything about python, can that be used for cgi, is it any good??

I'm not really a big fan of java and I don't think the server I'm on at the moment will let me use jsp so I don't think I'll be using that. But of course I will investigate it further.

ta enygma.

Baz_

P.S. what a way to celebrate my thousandth post, I am a true nerd;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm currently using PHP for an internal company intranet app. that I'm making and it ROCKS OH-SO-BAD >:)

It has so many functions, supporting various databases and a whole host of other bits n'pieces. It's fantastic for handling cookies and sessions, and I have to say it strikes me as being the C++ of scripting languages. It supports full-blown object classes too. :)

Perl is pretty cool anyway. Even if you're not using it for some CGI web app, its really cool to know. It's great for all those dirty little jobs that you want done quick and easy. Very flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

err forgive me if im tripping up on your double negatives there but php can run on any system capable of running apache..

its damn handy for embedding little scripts into your raw html.. i try and use it instead of javascript wherever possible.

anyway it all depends on what application or scripts you are writing, certain languages are better at certain things than others...
    e.g. for something like a shopping site/auction i'd go with php, due to the vast resources already available just waiting to be used...
    i personally only use perl now for handy scripts using extra cpan modules such as telnet/ftp etc. to automate tasks for me, mirroring files etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Originally posted by Lemming
    I'm currently using PHP for an internal company intranet app. that I'm making and it ROCKS OH-SO-BAD >:)

It has so many functions, supporting various databases and a whole host of other bits n'pieces. It's fantastic for handling cookies and sessions, and I have to say it strikes me as being the C++ of scripting languages. It supports full-blown object classes too. :)
    A-fucking-men :cool:
    Especially the sessions... oh man they is sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

From my limited experience though, I've found that people who have no background coding experience and learn php, learn really bad habits, because it's just so DARN EASY to write a web application with it 8) I've seen a lot of retard tutorials for php on the web as well, written by retards. In some cases I've seen 'advanced' tutorials which never mention input validation, etc.

Perl's a damn useful language to know, whether you ever write a CGI with it or not. I'm learning python atm completely out of interest, I don't think I'll use it much.

I've found Servlets/JSPs to be to clunky / extremely f*cking annoying to debug on small applications, but fantastic for big projects.

anyway, it's just my opinion... basically, mess around, find what suits you. But php's the fastest/easiest I've tried so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

well now I just thought today how silly I was to post this thread when I actually didn't even know what languages are available for cgi programming on my server, so I'm finding that out today and then I'll decide. PHP is looking the hot favourite after this thread though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It supports full-blown object classes too.

Not full-blown, just "classes". The OOP functionality in PHP is limited and doesn't conform to OOP properly. It also slows apps down 5-20%. Cool if you're into that sort of thing, but as your apps get bigger you'll find yourself backing away from them again. The developers are working on it though.

adam

Advertisement