Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best FREE graphics manipulation/creation program..

Options
  • 28-11-2001 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Being a completely non-graphics/art person I don't want to pay money for a graphics package. In fact being a non-graphics/art person I don't even want to use one, but being a realist (as non artists tend to be) I know that it is essential to do a piccy or two for a website, and so I would like to know if anyone has used a free graphics package and if they found it good.

BTW I posted this here because I want a graphics package specific to web design (if there is such a thing), and if the mods feel I'm not getting a good enough response, feel free to move it.

ta

Baz_

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I'd have to say that Adobe Photoshop 6 is the business, but unfortunately is $600!

You're not going to get much for free in this area...

Some people swear by The GIMP, and it may suit your needs. It's free and open-source, runs on many unices and win32.
    (It has nothing on Photoshop though, in my humble opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

id get paint shop pro 7 - theres demo thing u can get for 30 days or summit here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

http://www.ultimatepaint.com

V.good- I used it up until I got myself some real kit but that is good and FREE. They also have another program called Ultimate FX which has load of filters and effects generators.

The gimp aint bad also:)

Also "Embellish" by Dadaware http://www.dadaware.com

Good for a variety of tasks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

frontpage-small.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Sorry strat, I'd have to say that PSP is pretty cráp. (In my humble opinion, of course. Photoshop owns.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Personally I use Paintshop Pro 7 all the time - functionality-wise, it's not far off Photoshop and for just over 1/10 of the price (£79 or so, I believe), it's a steal.

As for it being "pretty crap", I'd have to strongly disagree... it's an excellent package, easy to use and well worth using, excellent value and very well supported. Plus: it supports all Photoshop plugins.

I'd highly recommend it - but at the same time, I'd also recommend the GIMP, as linked to above... which is FREE, and bloody brilliant. One of the developers I used to work with in Cyrona used to swear by it (and swear AT other packages ;) )...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ditto. Photoshop rocks, I'd be a loony to argue with that, but for most people, newbies in particular, it's totally OTT. PSP is much more intuitive and easier to use. I've been using PSP for five years, and I'm bloody comfortable with it. Photoshop is way beyond my requirements though.

The Gimp has nothing on Photoshop? Download a recent version my friend. A lot of The Gimp was modelled on Photoshop, and some elements of it are far better. Critically though, there is absolutely no program out there with the same capabilities for the same price (zilch, zip, nada).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

thanks for all the tips lads chasing them up now.

Advertisement