Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

book on algorithms?

Options
  • 28-11-2001 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

can anyone recommend a good book on general algorithms, one with examples in pseudo-code?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

why do you want this book, and by that I also want to know how far along the programming trail you are. If you want just a really good algorithms book get donald e knuths book, but it is very expensive. But if you are trying to learn how to program in a specific language and you find you're just not getting it and that is why you want the book, then you should consider a better book than the one you are using, a really good book should explain new concepts through pseudocode first (in the first few chapters anyway).

The trouble with a general algorithms book is that it is often times very heavy to read, and goes into a lot of detail in things that you may never study. DEK above being an example of such a book but it is a very good book (or set of books).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do a web search is your best bet. Most books like to demostrate them in one language, or as Baz_ said, go into way too much detail. Plus they can be mad expensive. Web search and print out what you need. Always my best friend. Pay for books? Pah! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

If it's knuth's 'art of computer programming' you're talking about, that's one hell of an in-depth book if all you're after is general algorithms.. I read volume 2 for a while, and it can be pretty heavy going 8)

Anyway, as people suggest, it's probably better to search for what you need when you need it, rather than have a hefty volume full of stuff you'll never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

yeah thats the one static, and I know its very heavy, but its the best bar none IMHO, and most other algorithm books would have modelled themselves after it, so why get an imitation when you can have the real thing. Damn I hate when I come up with answers to my own questions.

Q. why get an imitation when you can have the real thing

A. imitations cost less. that is one reason. usually of a lesser quality though.

Advertisement