Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom shareholders set for Christmas spending spree after €580m windfall

Options
  • 29-11-2001 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Hmmm....if I didn't know better I'd say that the government's ease at which they allowed Eircom to become worthless and be taken over cheaply, forcing a sale and returning cash to the investors (the general population) even if it's less than what was invested by them, was a clever way to get people to spend money in what is now becoming a recession, in a cleverly anticipated attempt to boost the economy.

Of course, that's just the way I'd spin it if I was the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The article makes it sound like a win win situation doesnt it using words like windfall and things like that

Its not like these people were going wanted to sell their shares all they were doing were hoping against hope that the price of them would go up but they were forced to sell them.

You can be sure after the experience ive had with eircom shares I will be taking my business away from eircom velentia or what ever its going to be called when this fiasco is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Sounds to me like:

'Little people are to given back their errorcom money, minus generous executive bonuses, just in time for Christmas so that they can consume all and forget that they were shafted up the a**.'

[big 2 fingers] Consume and be happy! [/big 2 fingers]

Advertisement