Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone on the ADSL Solo Trials managed to split the connection?

Options
  • 29-11-2001 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

I have been accepted into the latest trial (Smithfield area, Crown Alley exchange).

I was wondering if anyone has managed to split the i-Stream Solo connection over 2 or 3 PC's?

If anyone has can you gimme some tips/details?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Why not just ask for the 4 port modem?

When I mentioned I had a number of machines they offered me the 4 port modem. I didn't have to ask. The issue of solo/multi never came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

I did ask, she told me that only Solo was available for this trial. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Running a basic LAN and Internet Connection Sharing (or WinGate) in Windows should do the job... shouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think I heard that this service uses PPPoE -- PPP over Ethernet. This means that software is installed on the client PC, and you have to log on to use the service. Only one logon is allowed at a time for a given user ID.

The way around this, if it is the case, is to use different PPPoE software. I've seen it available for Linux, which would tie in neatly with a Linux box set up as a NAT/firewall box. Probably not the easiest setup in the world, tho.

[edit] It's available for Windows too, and this page specifically says it supports connection sharing: http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/ [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 megavolt

All you have to do is download a proxy server off the web. Put this on the computer that will be connected to the network and point all the other pc's in the house at this computer. Not terribly secure, but it'll do the job. You could possibly download a firewall off the web either or just use the share an internet connection thing in windows.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

There are countless ways you could "split the connection" between a few PCs. It all depends on the hardware you have and the hardware you get off Eircom.

a) If you have a hub you could just connect to ADSL with one PC, plug it into the hub and plug the other PCs into the hub. Download any internet connection sharing software (I use WinRoute Pro). Install it on the PC connecting to ADSL. Put the IP address of that PC into the gateway box of all the other PCs (I'm assuming you're running Windows, if you're running any unix varient you should know how to do this already).

b) When my friend was on the ADSL trial I brought my PC over to his place. He was connecting using an ethernet modem, so we stuck a second network card in his PC, plugged mine into that, ran WinRoute on his PC, put his IP into the gateway box of my PC and I got net access. Using two network cards in one PC isn't a good idea though, I've heard.

c) If you got the USB ADSL modem from Eircom then you could connect with that and plug another PC into the network card which you should have/buy. Once again run some internet connection sharing program. This will obviously only get one other PC on the net also.

So, if you got more than two PCs then get a hub. The end.

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

OK Cheers Blam, I am getting the Ethernet Modem and have a 16 port switcher used to connect 3-5 PC's (10 ish at LAN parties).

The most important thing I need to accomplish is to be able to use all 3 PC's to play games on the internet simultaneously ;)

Do you have any thoughts on this? At the moment we are using ICC to split a 56k modem connect 3 ways which connects at 46k +/- :(

Some online games work others don't, with the solo package you only get 1 IP address (by the way is that a static IP?) .. which is the same problem as our dial-up.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

its not meant to be static, but you may well get the same ip serveral times on the trials, as (if i remember right) there was someone on the first trials that did, and posted about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As Boston says, its not static and you do tend to get the same ip adress most times. I use DynDns for serving purposes to get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Originally posted by GerK
    At the moment we are using ICC to split a 56k modem connect 3 ways which connects at 46k +/- :(

Some online games work others don't, with the solo package you only get 1 IP address (by the way is that a static IP?) .. which is the same problem as our dial-up.

Any ideas?

If you were having problems with some games using ICC on a 56k dial up, you'll have the same problem on the ADSL connection seeing as you'll only get one IP when you connect up to the internet.

-Son of Blam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Moved to Net/Comms. Please send all complaints, enclosing a tenner for administrative purposes, to: Box 81, Eglinton Street, Cork. Please mark the envelope for the attention of Alfie.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Originally posted by GerK
    Do you have any thoughts on this? At the moment we are using ICC to split a 56k modem connect 3 ways which connects at 46k +/- :(

Any ideas?

That would be your ports mate, you'll need to open/route the ports to the other PC's

Advertisement