Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixies Documentuary

Options
  • 29-11-2001 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Did any one else see the pixies documenuary on channel 4 last night. It had bono, bowie,yorke, wheeler and others talking about the band as well as apperences from all the abnd members except kim. It also had lots of live footage it was very interesting to contrast frank black then and now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea it was great. Except for that tosser Bono sticking his oar in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

bono didnt bother me,
    the fact that deal didnt have anything to do with it means that no pixies reformation ison the cards....not for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

it was pretty kewl alright. someday my band will get the Bowie seal of approval..... some day....

Badly Drawn Boy.... wanker.

Seán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

.....check out the inlay card to their greatest hits...
    i thought their(bowie & co.) insight into pixies music was interesting but they all seemed to have picked a few lines from Gary Smith's story on the band....down to the word. still a good
    doc.

does anyone think trompe le monde has several wicked tunes?
    in the doc, they said it was a disappointing album with the
    exception of U-Mass("it's educational...") but
    alec eiffel?
    head on?
    trompe le monde?
    motorway to roswell is one of my fav pix songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i was thinking that myself (about trompe le monde). i couldn't believe it! ALL the songs are absolutely mind blowing, and it's right up there with surfer rosa as my favourite pixies album. if i had to choose an album which wasn't that impressive (relatively speaking) it would have to be bossanova ... but still. did anyone see Frank Black's arms? was anyone else slightly repulsed? they were like 3 pounds of jelly stuffed inside tiny condoms. it was disgusting...

• Advertisement

....ye i don't think he'd have got far in the popstars auditions
    even though he'd roll over the competition

Well according to someone on that documentary (can't remember who) you're obviously not a REAL fan if your fave album is Tromple le Monde! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by PiE
    Yea it was great. Except for that tosser Bono sticking his oar in.

I'm a big Pixies fan and I don't see how liking the Pixies suddenly makes Bono a tosser. Yes I am also a U2 fan along with alot of other great music. I hate this **** of 'woo I'm a big indie head so Bono is a tosser' bull****.
    (I think I'm cranky this evening, damn computer games all night)

Really sorry I missed the programme would really have loved to see it. Don't suppose anyone has an mp3?

Originally posted by meglome
    I don't see how liking the Pixies suddenly makes Bono a tosser.

I never said that. He's just a tosser in general.

And in my experience I've found that most of said "Indie Head's" love U2 aswell... so I guess I'm not an Indie Head.

Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The guy youre thinking of was one of the blokes off the adam and joe show not sure which and he said it about bosonova

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

~How could any of you liked that piece of **** of a documentery?

If i wanted to see some idiotic mind numbingly boring musicians waffle on on how whores were great in their lyrics and Bono talking about how "hip" they were come on please thats bollocks.

Pixies reformation??? who said that? who even thought that would happen anyways i would they never would cause it would be incredibly bad trying to relive a day long gone.

As for Kim not being interviewed well you can thank frank black for that one they ust don't get on, but god the footage shown i'd seen it all before on MTV2 nothing special there and please Channel 4 if your going to "document" a band please actually leave the other musicians out of it and the pompous journalists (unextraordinary looking band) what tripe.

I hate U2 i and like the pixies try to compare the two and the obvious answer i would say is the pixies. Not because the broke any barriers or changed and faces of music because u2 could never be that good and u2 could never keep the consistency to release 5 great albums in 5 years rather than release 4 ok albums in what 25 years????

no it was a shame they did a pixies documentery such waffle i'd say it would turn you off the pixies to hear what most people on that program said.

Hope the sonic youth one isnt as bad but it probably will..

Ok, maybe the documentary wasnt technically amazing or very revealing but it was nice to see the Pixies on TV and to see that early footage (no I don't have MTV2).

yeah i guess since you dissed bono your're grand heheehe

Listen I'm not trying to say that Bono is a god and I'd suck his balls but I find in the 'indie' scene it's just no end of a surprise the amount of people that say he is a tosser...funny that. I think the Pixies are great I have most of their albums, I'm missing Trompe Le Monde (for no particular reason as I like it). But I also think U2 have put out some fantastic stuff over the years and changed their style on nearly every record and there aren’t too many bands that can say that, not even the Pixies.

I missed the documentary but it would have been good to see it because I don't have mtv2 (mtv is bad enough) so I haven't seen them on TV in quite a while. A comeback would probably be a bad idea, well they usually are a bit sad really.

Sonic Youth...your attitude is no surprise then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 J. Dalliance

changed their style on nearly every record and there aren’t too many bands that can say that

...and I think therein lies the problem.

The reason people like 'indie' rather than 'pop' may be due to the fact that the bands we like write and play what they believe in...not what they think is going to sell loads and get them on TOTP etc.

U2 have changed their styles to match current trends...they don't set them.

And as for Bono himself.....I'd have more respect for him if he championed some causes closer to home.

No doubt I'll get crucified for criticising U2, but that's just my 2euros worth.

right so, i'm gonna back up meglome here, not that he made any point but simply stated the obvious in that the pixies are great
    and u2 have put out fantastic stuff and successfully changed their sound around.

and i think you're indie-v-pop comparison is bollox J.D.
    i dunno who you'd categorise under each but U2 and many indie
    bands do write want they "believe" and every bloody band wants to sell records.....though some would sell out and snatch at TOTP.

and i think ireland has less concerns than other countries in the world and fair play to bono for breakin his balls for other causes and not our own

Ok, here's the thing that annoys me about Bono:

He does all these "charity" and "good deed" kinda things, but every time he does I just can't believe that he's doing it for anything other than attention and publicity.

There. That's my reason for not liking him. I don't know how we got onto the subject of U2's music though.

Originally posted by PiE
    Ok, here's the thing that annoys me about Bono:

He does all these "charity" and "good deed" kinda things, but every time he does I just can't believe that he's doing it for anything other than attention and publicity.

There. That's my reason for not liking him. I don't know how we got onto the subject of U2's music though.

Ok then... I don't expect everyone to like U2, I don't expect everyone to like Bono nor do I expect everyone to like The Pixies. But when a band has put out such a range of good music as U2 has and someone says they are complete crap, you have to wonder about their motivations. You don't have to like Bono but I fail to see how he is a complete tosser, I find him quite amusing especially when taking the piss out of America. The sort of power U2 have in the music industry means they can do and say what they like and there are so many bands would give an arm and a leg for that sort of power so maybe that's where this sort of attitude creeps in.

Trying to say U2 have gone with trends is total rubbish, they make records that are made at a particular time in history so this is reflected in the music but most of their records certainly didn’t set any trends. Listen to the Joshua Tree it doesn’t sound anything like the typical 80’s record, thankfully :)

When I see film stars doing their charity bit it can really makes my skin crawl. The pompous Hollywood bit so that they can make themselves look good for all the disgusting amounts of money they get for very little. But when I see the likes of Bob Geldof and Bono I don’t see it that way. They seem a lot more genuine and have probably done more for the poor in this world in the last few years, with the drop the dept campaign, than anyone could have imagined possible. (I'm boring myself at this stage :))

More importantly does any have that Pixies documentary as an mp3?

[OT]

Well, y'know, we're all allowed have an opinion on celebs so let's leave it at that.

I'm sorry I dragged this topic down the path it did by mentioning Bono.

[/OT]

Anyways, no, I don't have an MP3 of the documentary, soz.

ye, you're damn right meglome. i'd look on most celebs as
    wannabies when they highlight themselves in a good cause
    and they never come across as truely genuine and selfless.
    but the geniuneness of bono's wife seems to reflect on the
    man too. bono could live the mick jagger/ron g high-life if he
    wanted but he choose otherwise and i respect that

• Advertisement

fair enough re bono taking the piss out of america, but his ass kissing of the pope just made me sick. this is the most conservative pope there's been since before the vatican council (the second one) and is, essentially, an evil sick person who should be shot (like the one before him).

as for having an mp3 of the documentary, no i don't. but i'm sure c4 will be showing it again sometime soon (hopefully at a more reasonable time).

who said i was indie?

if you like sonic youth, you must be 'indie', or atleast that seems to be the case around here.

oh yeah i forgot must have dropped my how to be Indie book on the way home......
    crap and all this time i thought liking sonic youth meant you liked sonic youth.............
    hmmmmmmm god i better go read hotpress and see if theres a pictures of me or better yet the who'swho of ireland/......

Hmmmmmmmm god i'm all confused o sleep will u help me get over this sickness i really thought i just liked sonic youth but now that i have "indie" hmmmmmmmm i'm scared

Poll:

Will this thread ever die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 duck_e_traci

grrr who the **** thinks they can start calling some one indie just cos they mentioned one band that does not define a person what about people with contrasting musical tastes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 duck_e_traci

yes cos we shall murder it right now i was just pissed off wit who ever that dude was trying to label people. THE END.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Does anyone else think that a thread started about the pixies was almost entirly dominated by bono

....hey, it could have been the "evil" pope but nobody
    picked up on it!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    Does anyone else think that a thread started about the pixies was almost entirly dominated by bono

I tried to steer it back on track... really I tried!

:(

Advertisement