Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing ASF files

Options
  • 29-11-2001 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Hrm, I'm not too sure where I should post this... but I'll post a little request for advice/help here

I am having trouble watching ASF files (streaming media files) on the PC's in WIT.

After 5 - 10 mins max the connection is lost and I am usually left with the error message "The network connection has failed". Other times Windows Media Player freezes and I have to force end task in order to view any other currently open windows.

It seems like the college doesn't want me to view streaming media, either by putting a refresh rate on web-pages or by temporarily disconnecting me from the internet.

Note that the former option is more likely since I can download large files onto my PC.

I know I should really be finishing my Unix project for Computer Organisation instead. But I like watching my vids goddamit!
    Is there any way around this little 'watcher' or will I suffer this disconnection problem until I find a suitable mirror that offers downloads in avi mpeg etc. formats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Sounds like its timing out or something...

Im not really sure what would be the Best thing to do here, but I'd just right click on the link to the asf, Save target as, then watch if after its fully downloaded...

Advertisement