Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whipping Boy

Options
  • 29-11-2001 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I know that the lead singer went off after Whipping Boy broke up and started a new band, but that's all I've heard since, can someone fill me in?

Also, is there a website I could have a gawk at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

anyone out there have a copy of the 2nd album and be so kind to burn it for me...."heartworm" i think it's called....out in '95....
    expenses covered etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Their last album (eponymously titled) had a contact address on it. The break up of the band was messy, some bad feelings are present. Last I heard the singer McKee was working with drummer Hasset, but i haven't anything from them. Paul Page (a very nice man) the guitarist was also working with bassist Miles McDonnell, but again I haven't heard anything in a while.Paul was also working on a webby, but this may have fallen by the wayside. I'll pm that contact address to you when I get home to check it.

Heartworm was their second album, and their best.Great stuff.I'm fortunate enough to own a copy, I hope to have a cd burner in the nearish future, I'll give you a shout if/when i do. Sorry, but the cd cover is signed by the band and means more than the rest of my collection combined, so I'm not letting it out of my sight :o

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Do you have their first album? I have Heartworm and their last one but I could never find their first one. If I had a CD burner I'd burn a copy for everyone in the world, trust me on that!

apparently the first album is better but i only know the
    heartworm stuff. first saw/heard them in '95 when they
    supported SP in the SFX and they were on the edge of exploding
    in the next 6 months. another "could have been"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Originally named Lolita and the Whipping Boy, the name was shortened when their female guitarist found religion and left the group. The band was reduced to McKee (vocals), Paul Page (guitar), Colm Hassett (drums) and Myles McDonnell bass.

The band released their first two EPs for the independent Cheree label, The Whipping Boy EP in 1990 and I Think I Miss You EP in 1991. Generating some interest, they signed to Liquid Records to release their debut album Submarine in 1992. The album did not become a success, although their live shows continued to raise their profile, as much for the stage antics of McKee as for the music. McKee had something of a self-destructive attitude, and had been known to cut himself with broken glass on stage.

Whipping Boy's major label debut, Heartworm, appeared in 1994 and was greeted with glowing reviews. Despite allegations of misogyny arising from the lyrics in one song on the album, three successful singles were released. "We Don't Need Nobody Else" was the first and best, and featured mostly spoken lyrics about Irish life. The casual, off-handed reference to domestic violence in this song makes it all the more effective. "Twinkle" was the second single, as good as the previous release, and catalogued the horrifying faults of the female partner in a relationship, before blossoming into the gorgeous chorus "She's the one for me/Now and always". "When We Were Young" was the third single released.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

After whipping boy were dropped by columbia, I think it was, I remember reading in hot press that according to their manager the band were considering offers from 7 or 8 record companies.......I had to laugh....... those crazy managers......compulsive liars the lot of em.............................

Whipping Boy Sucked

....ahh i think they'd a couple of deadly tunes -
    we don't need nobody else - she's the only one
    ....one of the better "irish bands of the 90's"
    ....there's another good topic to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

I think some ex-Whipping Boy members were involved in a project/group called Shadow Cabinet...dunno if they recorded anything, .

I didn't see them, but a friend of mine did, and he claims they were arty noise crap. He was not impressed...I think he got his money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I have Submarine on tape, poor quality really, and it is nowhere near as good as heartworm. They were tuneless and discordant back then :), difficult listening.Some brighter moments, but all in all, not the same band that released heartworm, or its follow up.

Anony, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but this is a thread started by a fan with the intention of getting more info on them and then subsequently by someone wanting to get a cd of theirs, so you should take your chip and the shoulder that carries it and express it elsewhere.

Or alternatively **** more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

I'd rather he not do the latter, or at the very least not tell us about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement