Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to Castle Wolfenstein Release Date

Options
  • 29-11-2001 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when this will be available in the shops. I've heard from a couple of people that this will be available tomorrow Friday 30th. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this ? Been waiting for ages for this one. Let's hope that the single player game is somewhat better than what was offered with the Quake/Doom games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I was in Smyths in Galway a few hours ago and they had the boxes on the shelves already with the release date of tomorrow clearly marked on them. £35, in case you're wondering which seems reasonable enough :) I mail ordered it from the UK but it's not here till tomorrow anyhow so I didn't really gain much. I certainly didn't do any better on price. I paid a pound or two more I'd imagine, when exchange rates are taken into account.

K

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

woohoo!!!!

I'm off to Smiths later (gotta get my brother his birthday pressie).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

If someone is in Game on Grafton St (or whatever Game), can they check to see if it's available and at what price ? (looking in the general direction of CastorTroy).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The date is stuck in my head as December 6th, or 9th for some reason. But I checked EB and Amazon, and seems the release date is actually 30th of November, so that'd be today.

Wopee. Retail price is roughly £35 as someone else said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

[plug]A few days ago www.playerofgames.com announced the release date as 30th Nov. :)[/plug]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by TinCool
    If someone is in Game on Grafton St (or whatever Game), can they check to see if it's available and at what price ? (looking in the general direction of CastorTroy).

I'm in England at the moment so do your own bloody looking :) Check Game and HMV Grafton Street (surprisingly good on prices), should be 34.99 in one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Curses! Foiled!

Post has arrived. Package has not. Many copies sit in Smyths. Mine floats somewhere in the ether. I will not play until Monday at the latest. Oh cruel weekend, why do you now mock me so?

*sniff*

K

Somebody's Law: The queue you pick is the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i bought it today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

£45 in Game and EB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Very nice of Game and EB to continue to rip us off dispite their "lowest price guarantee", I bought it for £35 in Smyths this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'm sure you're aware that EB own Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Bought it today too, 45 beans in Game, ah well. Killing Germans is so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Seen some kind of special edition one in game, metal case and you get the privilege of paying £50 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

I somehow doubt that paying £50 for some moulded steel is worth the price.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I'm off to buy it right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Has the netcode improved cause in the mp test i have a constant 300-400 ping, even on a good server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

If you can play Q3 online you should be fine with wolf - afaik the netcode in wolf final is identical to the netcode in the latest iteration of Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Shinji
    If you can play Q3 online you should be fine with wolf

So that's, er... no one then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

200fps, 20ms goodness! Suck it down! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

yes yes, but is the multiplayer any good? the test looked like DoD with fancy graphics. Is it more of the iD jumpy jumpy shooty jumpy shooty type game, or have they done something new with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

A few lan games were had at the UL lan, and it was most fun. The single player is quite the roxor also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Got it in HMV Grafton St today for 39.99 - they're still a fiver less (at least) on new games than Game or EB, Tony Hawk 3 is 49.99 there as opposed to 54.99 in Game/EB, no way am I paying 55 quid for a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I played this a couple of weeks back. The single-player is pretty unspectacular - run around corridors, shoot nazis, later run around corridors shooting zombies. Yawn.

Multiplayer is better, but as someone said before its basically DoD on the quake engine. Yawn.

I wouldnt waste £45 quid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by CiaranC
    I played this a couple of weeks back. The single-player is pretty unspectacular - run around corridors, shoot nazis, later run around corridors shooting zombies. Yawn.

Multiplayer is better, but as someone said before its basically DoD on the quake engine. Yawn.

I wouldnt waste £45 quid on it.

Well firstly it's like most fps's, basically you run around shooting stuff so I don't really understand your point. True it's not brilliant as this format has been flogged many times before but it's what I expected based on the original.

Multiplayer is much better but a lot of the maps are just modified versions of the single player maps and some are way too big. They should have learned something from DoD in this respect, although the movement is much more fluid than DoD. (I personally am eagerly awaiting DoD 2 it looks great.) If they can get their act together on the multiplayer maps then this could be a serious contender.

Go down to Smyth’s toystore on the corner of Parnell Street and Jervis Street (Dublin), nearly all the new PC games are £35 not like the total robbers in Game and EB at £45.

Advertisement