Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max RAM Win9x will use?

• 29-11-2001 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Does anyone know the max RAM that Win95 OSR2 and Win98SE will use respectively?
    I think I saw on the Dell website that WinME can use a max of 512Megs and I know Win2000 professional and server is 4G...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

Can't comment on W95... haven't used it in a couple of years.

Re. W98...

768MB - Had zero problems running the OS (no tweaks require).

1Gig - Unstable unless your "1gig" > 999MB (must tweak "Vcache settings"). BTW - window's "Safe mode" is not an option with this level of RAM. Swapfile size is a problem.

I presently have W98 running on a dual boot rig with 1.5gigs of RAM. W98 is tweaked to only see 512MB of RAM, with "vcache" set to around 50MB's approx. I only use to OS as a backup, and for games. :)

Hope the above helps.

[Edited for typo's]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

Cheers man ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Win9x can use up to 4gb. If you go over 512 add this line to your System.ini file:

[Vcache]
    MaxFileCahe=xxxxxxx

pic any muber really, but I set mine to 128000 (it's in k).
    Otherwise it'll be flakey as hell.

I advise downloading RamIdle, as it can automate this for you, and also has a very nice option to force Win9x to use all of the available ram - with this on and 768mb of ram I had no swapfile (even though it was enabled).

Advertisement