Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moden prob

Options
  • 29-11-2001 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

I wonder can anybody give me a few suggestions. The Modem in my Dell PC (A Dell Dimension 4100) stopped working as a result of a short in a phone line (Wires Crossed in a adapter) I purchased a new Modem installed the drivers made sure the card is secure in the slot, I also tried putting the Modem card in a different slot but I still can not get through. I am posting this request using my Dad's PC I would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Describe 'still not get through'.

If it's a matter of dial up networking (assuming windows) not finding the modem, then it could be one of a few things...

a) the card's shot
    b) there's some sort of hardware conflict. Check the system tab in the control panel.
    c) the modem may not be initialising properly - check the manual for possible init strings to try.

if it's detecting the modem, but not 'getting through' to the ISP

a) the modem could be shot
    b) check the phone number
    c) check initialisation string (see manual)
    d) lower connection speed (properties of connection)

I'm sure there's others, my days of ISP tech support are long over 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

If your running windows 9X/ME go into the DUN connection properties and pick the new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

i'm useing windows 98

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

describe your problem in a bit more detail.

Advertisement