Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

• 30-11-2001 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

i was wondering if this is even possalbe that someone can connect to the internet on a 56K modem at a speed of 115,200 because that is what it is telling me and i am sure this is not right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

That's the speed at which the modem connects to your own computer over the serial interface (COM ports!).

So yeah you are just at normal 56k speed. I remember it used to say that in Win95 for me with an internal Zoom modem.

However, some FTP sites when downloading stuff it can be compressed (or something) and you get like 12k/sec+ over a 56k modem for say compressed text files, but only if the ISP and server support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

afaik add W2 to ur modem string and it displays the proper speed ? ot is it that u take it out :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fooger

ahh it is coz it is an external modem connected to the COM port thanks for clearing that up for me i'll try out that W2 later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeah, turn on Hardware Error correction too, in the modem control panel.

There are a few settings you might want to try, but only try oner at a time and test it extensively, downloading stuff and gaming.

Advertisement