Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta tags

Options
  • 30-11-2001 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering about peoples opinions on Meta tags.

What I was wondering is do people here have the same set of meta tags on every page in their site, or a different set on each page, or just one set on the homepage of the site.

What sort of meta tags do you use, I know of the keyword and contents and author ones, but what other tags are useful.

ta

Baz_

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Well the other night I did a massive search me up and I found a few good tutorials with good descriptions of meta tags, but I was actually wondering about peoples own experiences with meta tags and general uses for them.

Ta for the links though look useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was just wondering about peoples opinions on Meta tags.

I have a client who's absolutely obsessed with the search engines, and is always tuning his pages to try and get higher in them, and to be fair, it does actually work. You have to put an inordinate amount of effort into it though - far more than most sites deserve, when you calculate how much the time costs - and the search providers can put paid to a lot of your work in a second with just one tweak of their algorithms. Personally, I don't have the energy for it, so I tend to explain the process to my clients and let them deal with it. Most of the time, I don't understand their businesses well enough to help them anyway. Still though, if that's what you're into...

What I was wondering is do people here have the same set of meta tags on every page in their site, or a different set on each page, or just one set on the homepage of the site.

For best results, I would use different keywords and descriptions on each page of the site, appropriate to the cotent. Then you have a better chance of showing up in the results as people use different keywords. Also note that the TITLE of the web pages, and particularly the URL, including the domain name, has a big affect on how well you do. For example, the aforementioned client has a rake of domain names containing keywords he uses, and he swears that that's what gets him listed. Again though, as the providers tweak the engines, results go up and down like a yo-yo.

What sort of meta tags do you use, I know of the keyword and contents and author ones, but what other tags are useful.

Most of my clients sites are database driven, so I tend to insert the intro or abstract for records into the Description field. The Keywords field is trickier though, because if you parse out the content of the intro/abstract and content fields, you have to build up an enormous list of words not to include, like 'and', 'the', etc. Normally, I just encourage the client to insert a list of keywords. Until I build up the list that is... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

There was some small proggy that generated this format for me ages ago. I've had a good experience w/ this format, but you need to make sure you are submitting to the right directories as well
    (just fill in the ****** etc.:)]
    <title>*********</title>

<META NAME="TITLE" CONTENT="*********">
    <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="******************">
    <META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="************">
    <META NAME="OWNER" CONTENT="info@******.com">
    <META NAME="AUTHOR" CONTENT="******">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES" CONTENT="never">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CHARSET" CONTENT="ISO-8859-1">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-LANGUAGE" CONTENT="English">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="VW96.OBJECT TYPE" CONTENT="******">
    <META NAME="RATING" CONTENT="General">
    <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="index,follow">
    <META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 days">

Okay, thanks a lot lads. That was ultra helpful but I have one question for 80p, What exactly can go in here:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="VW96.OBJECT TYPE" CONTENT="******">

Oh and dahamsta don't worry I'll do this once and then probably forget to update. I'd be happy to get on a search engine at all never mind be high up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

H.A.F.C tbh :p

okay then ta for the other ones, using them as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Originally posted by dahamsta
    The Keywords field is trickier though, because if you parse out the content of the intro/abstract and content fields, you have to build up an enormous list of words not to include, like 'and', 'the', etc. Normally, I just encourage the client to insert a list of keywords. Until I build up the list that is... :)

I read a superb article on webmonkey.com once, about how to achieve a good search engine ranking. It mentioned that most search engines ignore the keywords string completely if it exceeds 1024 characters. Just something to be aware of :)

<edit>
    Just did a quick search and found the article:
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/01/23/index1a.html?tw=e-business
    Have a look, it's a great read.
    </edit>

Advertisement