Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget

• 30-11-2001 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Is it me or is this country gone stark raving mad altogether ?

79p on a packet of cigarettes !!!!!!

What am I to do now ?

Any cheap sources of cigs would now be appreciated more than ever
    e-mail: mickkellyjunior@eircom.net

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Haven't checked the link in a while but www.yesmoke.com was pretty cheap.
    Tis a balls alright and it's going to effect more than the smokers too. The whole economy will suffer from this.

I'll probably give up. Better off without the things anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Umm, where are you getting this info from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Ah yeah heard that on the news tis mornin ... hahahhahaha punish the smoking low-lifes ;):p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

HAHA! These are the days im glad i like my lungs and dont smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

Yeah, that'll learn 'em!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

SO how much is 20 fags now? Are they putting much on drink??

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Jesus, that makes them about 4.60

Utter utter arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Haha, at least it's not as high as the rumours that were spreading - People were saying the Gov were gonna increase it by 100%, making them nearly 8 quid a box!!!! I know 2 ppl who quit, and still have, after hearing this vicious rumour which is completely ludicrous :). But I heard as well that boxes of 10 were being removed completely. true? I couldn't care less except that I don't want to have to buy 20 everytime I want a joint :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

muhahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!

hey wait a minute...

...this means ill be getting a **** xmas present from the parents. Too damn right it will affect the non-smokers, damn that government to hell:D

Over here in Germany its 2.40 for a 19 box of cigarettes, so for the smokers among ye, move to a different country.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by seamus
    But I heard as well that boxes of 10 were being removed completely. true?
    Yup. The logic behind it is that kids buy packs of 10 as that's what they can afford or some crap like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Enygma
    The whole economy will suffer from this.

No, it will probably improve productivity among those that are currently smokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Originally posted by scenic
    79p on a packet of cigarettes !!!!!!

What am I to do now ?

Give up smoking! Save the money buy your mammy somthing nice;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Strange I tought I read in a newspaper somewhere it was going up by £1, I guess they got it wrong. Tbh I think the should charge £1 per cigarette. Isn't all the tax going to research cures for smoking enduced lung cancer. IMO everyone who smokes knows the risks, hell alot of my mates exclaim "time to work on the lung cancer" before lighting up. Considering that smokers are bringing this cancer on themselves, and that money could be used better elsewhere.

I await flaming from the large percentage of smoking boards readers:D

sidenote: I do admit that my information may not be entirely accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

I hate smoking, it's a great but risky thing for the government to do. I heard on RTE news last week when they mentioned it (estimated £1, realistic figure I think is the 79p one) that the money is going to the health sector, to help the people who get cancer etc from smoking. I guess the government are trying to be ironic. I suppose the only issue is the social one - eg, parents who smoke a lot in poorer families... it's prob an extra 20 quid down the drain for a lot of people a week - the money should be spent on a more dramatic 'get people to quit' campain. Billboards and poster campaigns are useless. How about things like more help, eg subsidised prices on nicotine addiction treatments, eg patches etc. Cheaper chewing gum 8)

Quit smoking. It's disgusting. It's antisocial. It's unfair on people who don't smoke (eg, pubs, nightclubs). At least now it's getting even more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by Static
    I - the money should be spent on a more dramatic 'get people to quit' campain. Billboards and poster campaigns are useless. How about things like more help, eg subsidised prices on nicotine addiction treatments, eg patches etc. Cheaper chewing gum 8)

What ur forgetting is that nothing can make u give up except willpower.
    You cant buy willpower.
    Put the money into stopping young people smoking in the first place. Educate them to the harm it causes. Make it harder to buy them. Enforce the minumin age law.

I agree that the cost of cigarettes should go up until smokers are paying back what they cost the state in health bills, education campaigns etc.

Smokers should have to pay more for health insurance.
    Firms should have the right to not hire chronic smokers (productivity lost while they go to the loo every 1/2 hr).
    Smoking in public places should be banned forever.

X

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

It's antisocial.
    It's not completely anti-social. In my previous job, I (a non smoker) used to join smokers outside and have a chat. Because smoking has become so restricted in workplaces the people that do smoke get to know each other from having to hang around out side. It's just anti-social to the majority of non smokers.

Oh come on. Non smokers are allowed to take breaks too. That's a lame reason 8)

Originally posted by Xterminator

What ur forgetting is that nothing can make u give up except willpower.
    You cant buy willpower.

I never claimed otherwise. But I'm sure people trying to quit would appreciate all the help they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Oh come on. Non smokers are allowed to take breaks too. That's a lame reason 8)

It's not that lame. It happens in my work. The people who smoke say I'm just nipping out for a quick fag about three times a night. If I go out I get "where have you been?" as apparently they have an excuse to go out but I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

They say a pack of 20 smokes is gonna go up 1 euro, but I heard today it's gonna be more like 60 cents.... so it's gonna be less than was predicted.

Arguing about smoking is almost pointless. I'm a smoker, and I believe that you can't understand if you've no experience... so all you non-smokers shíting on about it being "anti-social" should cop on. It's just another drug, same as coffee, alcohol, marijuana etc...etc need I go on? They're all addictive substances, (well not so much marijuana) and once addicted you need alot of willpower to get off it.
    Quit smoking. It's disgusting. It's antisocial. It's unfair on people who don't smoke (eg, pubs, nightclubs). At least now it's getting even more expensive.

Snap out of it Static :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

re: budget - there's supposed to raising the prise of cigs, alcohol :eek: and pertol. But we'll see later.

re: smokeing
    I truly believe smoking in public places is a violation of basic human rights! Its one thing to inflict harm upon yourself but to subject innocent bystanders to your filth is just wrong.

And I heard a report recently that smokers are less productive than their non smoking counter parts for the reason stated earlier, it appears to me for some reason which, I really can't faddum, that smokers 'are' entitled to five minute breaks whenever they fell like it!

If I had my way smoking would be at the very least restricted to a person's own home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Where I used to work, the smokers were allowed go out for regular smoking breaks, while the non smokers had to stay in and work...... abit unfair dont you think.

John

Advertisement