Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woohoo first poll

Options
  • 15-11-2001 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I don't care I like Picard! :p

which star trek captin is the best? 30 votes

Kirk
    96% 29 votes
    Picard
    0% 0 votes
    Sisko
    3% 1 vote
    Janeway
    0% 0 votes
    New guy, what's his face.... u know that guy!
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

kirk. no. contest.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Janeway and Sisko surely ? :P

Picard owns their collective pants anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

féck off... I'll spell em how i like :p

rofl it doesn't matter what ye say picard is gonna win muhawhawhaw :D (emmm abusive of power :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Sisko: Is that REALLY what you want ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Was hard.. Sisko or Picard.. Went with Picard. Too many nice memorys watching TNG. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

William Shatner's "physical and vocal stutter" (milked for all it's worth in "Family Guy", if anyone's seen the episode) was just too much to bear for me - never really warmed to the guy's performance until the last few movies that crew did when he realised he was a bit of a walking parody.

Avery Brooks - he seems to have that same stuttery thing (when he spoke, anyway) going on when he gets excited - important parts of certain episodes of DS9 seemed to progress at an almost glacial pace because it took him so long to get the dialogue out.

Kate Mulgrew - she wasn't bad, in fairness - the gravelly voice was a bit disconcerting at first, but I got used to it. She was consistent, too, but like the two above wasn't a match for, in my mind, the best:

Patrick Stewart. He had the most authoritative voice - I never got the feeling that Kirk was in command, Janeway was always giving people second chances, and voicing her disappointment, etc. etc., Sisko had to revert to that curious stuttered shout when he got angry, but PS (as Picard) had that indefinable presence (for me) - all you had to do was try to ignore the fact that a Frenchman was speaking with an upper-class British accent :rolleyes: and it worked. It was just as well; Jonathan Frakes (Riker) was a good 6" taller than him, and as for Michael Dorn (Worf), well...
    He also got the most varied roles - between the full Borg body-kit, the Cardassian "interrogation", Robin Hood ;), his younger self, and other stuff I can't remember, he was able to demonstrate himself over a much wider range than the other three. Maybe the other three didn't get a chance, but I'm not convinced that WS had the range, AB would just start shouting again, as for KM, I'm not sure. But I doubt it.

Just my tuppence ha'penny...
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Picard.

No contest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

if janeway had been bald and a lower voice then mybe my vote may have been swayed

picard is da man. especially loved the scenes tween him and Q [the bad guy not the moderator ;]

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    if janeway had been bald and a lower voice then mybe my vote may have been swayed

picard is da man. especially loved the scenes tween him and Q [the bad guy not the moderator ;]

Sure she didn't have a low enough voice? ;)

Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Sisko, only cos he saved the universe from the Wraiths. What did Picard do? Save mankind? Sisko would have done that in his sleep ;)

And yes family guy really did take the mick out of shattner. Then they killed him. I laughed.

Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Originally posted by Cloud
    Speaking of Family Guy:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=96723
    Oi keep on topic you :p .................... please don't hurt me! :D

meanwhile, i'm surprised by the amount of votes for picard! most ppl i talk too usually prefer kirk or sisko! hmmm well there ya go i'm not alone after all :)

Originally posted by Q_Ball
    Sisko, only cos he saved the universe from the Wraiths. What did Picard do? Save mankind? Sisko would have done that in his sleep ;)

And yes family guy really did take the mick out of shattner. Then they killed him. I laughed.

Peace.

Well, there was the "Q" judgement thingy about mankind, starting practically from second 1 of TNG, there was the alternate universes thing in "All Good Things" (I still want a good image of the triple-nacelled Enterprise-D with the dirty great big cannon under the saucer section from that double-ep - that ROCKED! :D ), rescuing Earth from the Borg ("First Contact"), ah I could go on.

Needless to say, I think Picard rocked. Where Picard would pull the proverbial urine out of Q given the opportunity, Sisko just wanted to punch his lights out.

However, as his baldiness once said to Riker in "Up The Long Ladder":
    "Sometimes, number one, you have to bow to the absurd"

Gadget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Picard was the most consistent - all the others went through various personality changes depending on the moral dilemma of the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

ya that "future" enterprise was fantastic. they shoulda gone with that stead of the 1701-E. I loved it when it spun up through the remains on the klingon ship after the cannon ripped its way through the hull

but thats off topic :)

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    ya that "future" enterprise was fantastic. they shoulda gone with that stead of the 1701-E. I loved it when it spun up through the remains on the klingon ship after the cannon ripped its way through the hull

but thats off topic :)

True it's off-topic - but that shot was possibly the best CG shot I can think of from the TNG series.

Speaking of captains, though (and back on topic we go... sorta), Janeway had one thing in common with many of us: a bit of a thing for caffeine, in particular, coffee:

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's gotten me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it"
    -- from "Hunters"

...however, she seemed to know when she had enough:

Neelix: "Coffee, anyone? Captain?"
    Janeway: "No thanks, I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp"
    -- from "Once Upon A Time"

Gadget

Advertisement