Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the rings and the hobbit

Options
  • 30-08-2001 9:49pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about buying the lord of the rings and reading it before the movies come out.

if i were to do so should i also buy the hobbit i.e would there be bits in the others where if i had not read the hobbit i may feel left in the dark ?

Sometimes I think the surest sign that inteligent life exists elsewhere is that none of it has tried to contact us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Despite the somewhat childish writing throughout most of the hobbit i found myself glad that i suffered it when i went on to read the lord of the rings. Being a prequel it sets the scene and introduces you to alot of the characters and locations. While some of the details are re-iterated in LotR it is probably best to read it all first hand, so you get a clearer picture of the order of events etc.

.dNC.OSiriS
    url="http://www.hatstand.cx"]HAT[/urlOSiriS
    http://clans.quake.ie/osiris
    Frag-Net.org

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

definitely read the hobbit first. It's a short read (not a pun about the main character) and gives a good grounding for the "main event" so you don't feel like you've been dropped in the deep end by the time you reach book 2 of LotR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

You don't have to read the Hobbit first, but it is alot easier to read than the lord of thr rings..and it will settle you in Gently to Tolkiens style..which is very descriptive.

"Ca bhfuil an buama?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

B.H. has now bought the Hobbit and is a couple of chapters in, so that ends that question wink.gif ... whether he's likely to get through the whole lot of LotR before the movie comes out is a different matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If B.H. wants, I got the trilogy back at home. Afaik, BH won't need to read all befoire the release date - just the first one!

Let me know.

[This message has been edited by Mountjoy Mugger (edited 04-09-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

i started reading the fellowship of the ring before i even tought about the hobbit but if its any consolation it read the prologue!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

Advertisement