Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Scam!

Options
  • 01-12-2001 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

In Oct 2000 I fell for the Eircom High-Speed scam and paid out lots of dosh to get it. It was finally installed in November 2000 and I rang Esat whom i already had the No-Limits account with to see if they supported ISDN. Esat replied No so i said could i cancell the £20 pm No-Limit account and they said fine but to also put it in writing and give a months notice. This i did but only to discover after receiving my bank statement in May 2001 did i that Esat were still deducting £20 pm (ok i know some of this is my fault for not cancelling the account with the bank... however) So far this is what happened.

10/05/01 Rang East and spoke to Jason and after a lot of talk Esat agreed that it was their error and they would do out a Credit Request to me for the amount owed (£119) But it would take six weeks to send the cheque out (of fair enough)

01/06/01 Rang Esat spoke to Shauna just to make sure everything was ok and was assured everything was being done.

02/10/01 Rang Esat and spoke to Caroline who again said she would do a Credit Request but i had to wait 6 more weeks :(

15/10/01 Rang Esat spoke to Fionna.... same responce but this time she assured me becaouse it has taken so long she could have it sent to my Credit Card withen 3 days (great eh? :rolleyes: )

01/11/01 Rang Esat spoke to Brendan.... and asked to speak to a supervisor (Dont bother asking for one its totally impossible to get to speak to one) He said send a mail to customercare@esatfusion.ie that it would be seen by a supervisor (huh guess the responce :( )

02/11/01 Rang Esat spoke to Jason.... Really nice guy and he assured me that the cheque was signed and would be sent out by 11/11/01 (remember they say it would be sent to my Credit Card ?)

30/11/01 Rang Esat spoke to Tara who advised me to get on to Credit Control. I again asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they were all buisy so i asked for a callback HUH! (never happened)

30/11/01 Rang Esat Credit Control spoke to David....guess what ?
    No supervisor available they were gone home but he would get someone to ring me on Monday ....BAH! :mad:

30/11/01 Rang Esat spoke to Ken ..... again all supervisors were gone home (time 16:35)

I will admit im really ANGRY! at the way im being treated by E****!
    For the last 6 months i have been fobbed off by 7 people in E****!
    I have to wonder if i owed them £119 for my E**** phone.... would they put up with it for so long ?

Has anyony else had or still have any simullar experiences with
    ECRAP! ?

MS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

So u should be mad dude, next time u ring- if u do again- maybe u should quickly summarize what's been happening, demand to speak to a supervisor and if it's not dealt with immediately mention the word solicitor and solictor's letter- and that you'll be sueing for legal costs. That'll get them to cop on I'd imagine...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Isnt 1909 free of charge the next time they tell you that all their supervisors are busy tell them that you will wait stick on the speaker phone and listen to the musak while they pay for the call

go home at 16:35 guess i better apply i would love that

any one want to join me

Esat Digiphone
    National Technological park
    plassey
    Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

You're talking to the wrong company. Call your credit card company (phone number on the back of the card) and report the fraudulent billing of your card, and the measures you have take in an attempt to resolve the issue. That should get you results fairly sharpish either from the credit card company or ESAT.

If you do speak to ESAT again, demand that you receive interest, at whatever rate your credit card company charges, for the duration that the debt has been outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

u should quickly summarize what's been happening, demand to speak to a supervisor and if it's not dealt with immediately mention the word solicitor and solictor's letter- and that you'll be sueing for legal costs. That'll get them to cop on I'd imagine

Done that.... same responce :(

Isnt 1909 free of charge the next time they tell you that all their supervisors are busy tell them that you will wait stick on the speaker phone and listen to the musak while they pay for the call

Tried that too but was told that they could not keep me on hold becaouse they have other calls to deal with Ask Tara what i mean :(

You're talking to the wrong company. Call your credit card company (phone number on the back of the card) and report the fraudulent billing of your card, and the measures you have take in an attempt to resolve the issue. That should get you results fairly sharpish either from the credit card company or ESAT.

Tried that too but E**** are relentless! I thought Eircon were LOW! but E****! hmmmmmm i didnt realise how low LOW actually was! until now!

I intend to take this a LOT further. E**** say on one hand they are our Allies but on the other hand ....hmmmmm. Just how many more people out there have been treated this way by E**** and are afraid to speak up ? Since my last post i have 23 emails all with the same problem....just how widespread is this happening ?

Its nice to know im not alone in this....(bad as it may seem) and thanks for all your support and advoice.

As for the 23 people that emailed me 4 of ye have not shown times dates and names. Please ring Esat again and beleive it or not they will tell you who it was and what was said. This is it ....as i see it! Eircon we rape ye we degrade ye....we rob u of your rights openly and there is nothing u can do about it... THOUGH! We treat u like a Mushroom (feed u loads of ****e and keep you in the dark) and you learn to accept this treatment. All i can say is E**** have taken a page out of Eircon'd book and eaten it!

Yes im still really ANGRY! at the E****! £*U£& £*&_'s

MS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by MS
    u should quickly summarize what's been happening, demand to speak to a supervisor and if it's not dealt with immediately mention the word solicitor and solictor's letter- and that you'll be sueing for legal costs. That'll get them to cop on I'd imagine

Done that.... same responce :(

IMO then it's time to make good on your threat. GET a solicitors letter, send them a copy and start the proceedings. When you win, it'll cost you nothing, and you'll get your 199 quid back, plus interest. Besides once they see any letter, trust me, then they'll sit up and notice. Otherwise they're gonna keep doing this ****e and we'll have 2 eircons to deal with :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by MS
    This i did but only to discover after receiving my bank statement in May 2001 did i that Esat were still deducting £20 pm (ok i know some of this is my fault for not cancelling the account with the bank... however)
    I have to wonder if i owed them £119 for my E**** phone.... would they put up with it for so long ?

Was it a direct debit on a bank account, or a recurring charge to a credit card? As someone else said, if you have a CC you report it as a fraudulent charge. If it is a bank account there is a line on the form for a direct debit that says the bank will refund any errors etc. You’ve obviously got it well documented so I would go, or write, to your bank.

A solicitor’s letter means you’re incurring more costs that Esat may choose to ignore. Have you written to them yet? If you have a complaint you are better to do everything in writing. I’d send them a letter and then start a small claims court proceeding against them yourself. It costs almost nothing.

DigiFone (I know they are a separate company now) used to charge almost a tenner I think for a missed direct debit payment. Perhaps you should ask for £10 for each month, as a goodwill gesture?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

MS, would you please calm down and stop ranting. I realise you're pissed off, but you're doing yourself no favours by typing angrily at us like that, half the time I can't even understand what you're trying to say. Sit back, relax, and take your time when you're posting.

adam

I thought we were allowed to 'Rant' here ?
    My angry typing was not ment towards anyone here Adam and over 30 people that mailed me understood what i was ranting about + some people here ?

MS

/me is getting stressed out on Deep Breathing and Chill Pills hehehe :P

Is there anything out there that the ODTR or the concumer complaints people can do or the small claims court

might want to take a trip to you citezens advice office and ask what you are able to do

• Advertisement

Adam could you check you PM box please.

Cheers,

MS
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

MS, my sympathy is with you. I had the same problem - a refund that dragged on for months while there were "problems with their systems", "it'll be there next month"

Jason as you've said is a helpful chap - genuinely tries to do his best for the customer (he also eventually sorted out 2 refunds for me)

Recommend you speak either to Veronica (usually on a weeknights after 10pm - really knows what she's at, you've a good chance of getting back on to her when you phone again and the whole thing might just be sorted out) or to Alva (could be Ailbhe but you get the pronounciation), supervisor on during most days. Competent person, only supervisor I've managed to get on the phone regardless of the number of times I try, always end up on to her.

And good luck. You'll probably be waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Well I kind of had the same problem but not exactly.

When Esat cut us off last May I owed then £280. They usually just take it straight from my credit card but they never took the last payment.

During may I actually moved out of my old house and up to Dublin. I rang Esat to get them to change my billing address and send me a bill so I could pay it. I waited 3 weeks and nothing came so I rang again. The girl I got on the phone was extremly abrupt so I asked for a supervisor which she said I couldn't speak to. Apparently it was company policy but she took my number and I got a call back about two weeks later. I got the supervisor to make sure they had my new billing address and phone number both house and mobile and she assured me she'd send another bill so I could pay it off.

I waited another 3 weeks and no bill so I rang again and got a helpful young man who said my new billing address was on my account and the bill should be on the way or he'd get a new one sent from billing. I waited another 5 weeks and no bill.

I've sent in the region of 10 to 15 e-mails to Esat continually asking for a bill as I got sick of waiting on hold all the time.

Well that was last may and still no bill. I'm rather worried that they'll not notice they've even ****ed up and that they'll send my account to collections and mess with my credit rating.

I don't think Esat are trying to con you out of money MS I simply think the system they have is incompetent. They seem unable to either collect or repay money once it goes outside their standard direct debit/credit card procedures.

I'm only going to mail Esat once more then forget about it, I really can't spend every spare minute chasing them to send me a bill.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Guys, nothing says 'I love you' better than the written word.

Ask for the name of the head of customer service and direct a letter of complaint to him/her personally. If you like mention that you have sent a copy of the letter to your solicitor also.

Ranting doesnt make it happen and email is too easy to ignore. Ignoring a letter, however is much more difficult, give it a whirl and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by Snaga
    Ignoring a letter, however is much more difficult, give it a whirl and see.

care to explain how.

Now I get that its easy to just put emails in the virtual "rubbish" but them there rubbish piles were modelled after real life so I think its just as easy to ignore letters.

Many thanks to everyone that replied / emailed me etc. I was speaking to Jason and it looks like its going to be finally sorted. Anyway i would like ye all to know .... even if its not this guy was really helpfull and gave it his all. Cheers mate. Not too many people like you in ESAT. I really appreciate you help ok :)

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Originally posted by Baz_

care to explain how.

Now I get that its easy to just put emails in the virtual "rubbish" but them there rubbish piles were modelled after real life so I think its just as easy to ignore letters.

Allrighty, the thing is, email is used almost exclusively these days in call centers...a letter is now the exception rather than the rule, especially when sent to the right person. And usually a managerial type person(i.e. head of customer care) with a letter will go on a mission to get it sorted.

Of course getting through to the right person on the phone should do it too, but that can be very difficult.

Of course on the other hand you can always show up at the reception and ask for the person by name ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

In my opinion its the people on the phones, not all of them are lazy bast's but most of them are. They just say "yea ill do it now" but don't bother. Ive rang eircom asking to speak with supervisors so many times but never have i spoken to one. The people on the phones do everything and anything to get out of dealing with a proper request/problem imo, ever rang up and asked a question only to be told that you should ring "this" number to find out, when you ring it they send you back to the number you dialled firstly.

Its thick imo, some of the people are nice and really honestly try to help, others are just there to sit on their arse's and deal with the "its not working cause the phone lines not plugged in" call's.

Advertisement