Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

133MHz Memory in 100MHz board?

• 01-12-2001 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to run 133 memory on a 100 speed mboard.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Gerry reliably informed me before, yes. 133mhz is its max speed not its only speed, so it doesn't mind working at 100mhz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ta very much :)

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

133MHz is it's rated speed. It is rated for operation at that speed at the least - though it will run at a slower speed no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I think what is important here is how far can you overclock em :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

can you set the ram speed to 100Mhz. would it help? does running 133Mhz ram on a 100Mhz board cause lots of bottle-necking?

jaz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nope, the 133mhz ram will just run at 100mhz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Buy the 133 ram and for a very good reason. When you upgrade your motherboard your RAM will still work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good point Sceptre,
    Thowing away good memory, even if its very cheap at the mo, is a feel bad moment and one I'll be having when the new 128 mb stick arrives, as I'll have to throw the smallest stick in my machine (32mb).

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Then shouldn't the same ram work at 66? I have a p200 that needs pc66 ram, and when I try some 133 or 100, it only sees one quarter of it, which is a pain in the hole, because I'd need to buy 256mb to get 64!
    (considering current prices, I may do that anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Phaxx - your motherboard might only be able to use ram up to a specific limit - like say 32mb / 64mb dimms.

I may be entirely wrong, as usual :D

Try a bios update or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Max is two 64mb modules, and it only sees 16mb of a pc100 64mb module.

Will try a bios update.

Advertisement