Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Repair Q

Options
  • 01-12-2001 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

OK, anyone know anything about cars? I haven't enough money to go into a garage yet, and online searches just give me sites selling books :(. My clutch doesn't seem to work too well recently. Basically I have to force the gears into place, even with my clutch to the floor. If I push really, really hard (on the clutch) it works, but it hurts my foot (awww). So I reckon whatever the clutch does (pulls cables, I dunno :confused: ) just needs to be tightened up. Anyone know what costs/time involved? or do I know even less about cars then I think?

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Maybe your clutch is gone :)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

could be the bushings that help the gears mesh together

other gearbox [transmission] info here :

http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

and for everything you wanted to know about

manual transmission basics

and

clutch opertion basics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Seamus
    You know there is a motor board...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=47

That might be of better help. It doesn't look too active but worth a try:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Seamus, what car are you driving that'll make a big difference
    as regards costs, if you're in a BMW or Saab have a stiff
    drink ready when you call for a price, but if you drive say a Ford
    the cost will be much more bareable, whats more picking up
    a second hand unit will be very easy, just get the clutch
    off a low milage write-off, its proberly cheaper than fitting new parts to the existing unit as the work time will be no shorter
    than dropping in a newer clutch.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I even looked for that damn board, didn't occur to me to look in Misc :). The cars a Fiat, so parts are damn cheap, it cost me just 30 quid for a front wing last time someone bust it :eek: Cheers all for your helpfulness, as usual (except Lump) :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Seamus - clutch's are hydroliccly powered (dodgy spelling). Thats why you have to pump the clutch sometimes to get enough pressure to change the gears. I was driving with the hydraulics gone on mine for about a month. Got me some great muscles in me left arm from all that gear forcing. If you bring it in to kwik fit or something they will have a look for any leaking fluid and let you know what it'll cost.

Oh and by the way the clutch for my rover was 230 snots... And they didnt even fit it properly (not kwik fit, my local garage). Dont think you can afford that on our wages now fergal....

Simo..

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Not all clutches are hydraulic, most of the older ones are cable operated, much harder on the foot as the force has to be constantly applied.

Also seamus, my best guess is you have shagged your clutch, probably by riding the clutch in traffic, you will need at least a new friction plate which isnt cheap, but if your transmission is easily accessible you could probably do it yourself.
    For your sake I hope im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All sorted! was the clutch's 'slave cylinder' whatever that is. Brought it in, they saw some stuff leaking out, and it's being fixed. 120 snots. Thanx for the input :)

and Simo - we all know those strong arm muscles aren't from your gears ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Chief---
    hydroliccly

holy crap. what a wacky spelling. I couldnt have even managed that after 15 pints. Good work my friend :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ace1234

Hiya, i am looking for some info on cars, im not the smartest when it comes to complicating engine work. I have a 97 fiat punto with 91000 miles. I keep having to put oil in the head gasket(about 1/4 lite every 2/3 weeks.) but i havent noticed any leaks or seeping. I just want to know if this is normal or should i get it checked out? What would the price to get this problem fixed assuming i had to replace the head gasket? Also the brakes seem to be a little spongy, whats wrong with it and how do i fix it? Again a price would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A gravedigger......................

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In before lock.

Has to be worth a prize.

Seamus is going to be gutted when he sees this and realises how young and niiave he once was.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Holy phoenix of thread resurrections!

This must be a new record :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement