Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duelboot blues :(

• 01-07-2000 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

ok heres my prob......

a few days ago I had to reinstall win 98(I'm duelbooting with win 2k)
    but smart me forgot that the win2k duelboot prog can only work if win 2k is the last program to go on to the system. Today I thought I'd take a bash at getting win 2k to boot again.... after getting very ****ed off at the comp I reinstalled 2k hopeing that this woulds put things right(like that would happen). any hoo to cut a long story short, now all that boots is 2k frown.gif If some one could give me the url of a duelboot program that can work with 98 and 2k I'll.......................................................... (you can fill in the dots) smile.gif

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Theres a prize of a million pounds? or maybe there is no dualboot program
    eek.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Emm nasty suggestion here. try installing linux on a 500 meg partition, and let lilo do all the booting for you. Might be the easiest thing to do smile.gif
    Greg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

thanks quozl never would have thought of that, how ever it does mean that I lose 500 megs of my 8.6g hd, wish I didn't have to. Is there anyother program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

this should be just a case of opening c:\boot.ini and sticking on the end:
    c:\="Microsoft Windows"
    ... c:\ being the drive that contains command.com to launch 98

c22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Yup thats the one, boot.ini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Or ya could use bootmagic offa Partion Magic. 'swat I have with a neato lookin boot chooser screeny thingy.

amp: who deleted win98 yonks ago and just uses bootmagic to get a dos prompt up in case of severe emegergencies.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I think you can get away with about 100 megs for linux if you want. Or you can get a really ****ed up tiny distribution from linuxberg.com which should be under 20 megs, but still should have lilo. Cannt think of any other way to do it, sorry. Dont know the windows boat loaders at all
    Greg
    (oh yeah you could just make a boot parition (8 megs) and let lilo control things but have no linux partition, but that'd prob be a real pain to set up frown.gif

[This message has been edited by quozl (edited 02-07-2000).]

Advertisement