Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why have eircom adsl trials

Options
  • 01-12-2001 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

This may seem like a thick question to ask but do they realy need to do long winded trials of eircom adsl

Like if they want to know if it works cant they just go to britain or bloody kazeckstan to see it working

I smell a publicity stunt here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Indeed. If they need to trial ADSL around the city centre after THREE YEARS of trials then it basically seems to me that they have invested exactly dick squat of the supposed £127 million that they said it cost.

So it can only be concluded that they were in no position to offer iStream at *all* in October if they are still doign these "trials". I think they priced it because they *knew* that the ODTR would stop them and they wouldn't be exposed as having squandered millions on providing what is still in Ireland a vapourware product.

Anyone care to prove me wrong? Eircom? You reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They probably could have launched, they just WANT to rip people off.

As someone else here said, I think these trials may be a way of getting their foot in the door ahead of NTL, Chorus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Talk about conspiracy theorys :)

I dont think they are really trialling in the true beta sense. My dsl worked 'out of the box' as it were, as im willing to bet all the new triallists will.
    I think its just a way of a.Enabling exhanges b. Getting customers and c. getting thier bandwith monitoring working. Last time i spoke to an eircom dsl bod off the record, he said they were still a way off being able to monitor traffic suffiently to implement the caps*. wahey:)

* This is complete hearsay. I literally heard it from 'a bloke down the pub' that i know, that happens to work in eircom. Dont quote me on this.

*Totally OT Warning*

Dustaz, could u tell me, is the DSL installation a major operation? Or is it just a small box a la the Cablelink one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I think they are giving it away to get ppl hooked and then they will pay whatever £ircom ask when they settle their dispute with the ODTR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by chernobyl
    I think they are giving it away to get ppl hooked and then they will pay whatever £ircom ask when they settle their dispute with the ODTR.

I agree. Its like drug dealers... Your first hit is free or heavily discounted to almost guarentee a future dependancy. In essence its a good market strategy and from everyone I've spoke to so far who has had the initial trials there are most definitley cold turkey like symptons when faced w/ the return to 56k!

Also I'm sure there are some minor technical issues to resolve and an increased user base may shed some light on these:)

Additionally it means €ircom are providing DSL before anyone else. A fact I'm sure we may hear about in future ad campaigns (No doubt with the (a)tones of Whitney Houston in the Background;))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by PiE
    Dustaz, could u tell me, is the DSL installation a major operation? Or is it just a small box a la the Cablelink one?

yes, can you tell us exactly what equipment is used and how DSL gets to your PC ? eg, does the phone cable go into your pc directly, or wha ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

ntl seem to have a good offer with their cable modem. I had a go of one in Templeogue and boy howdee was I impressed. The guy pays £24.50 p/m.

I don't mean to say that ADSL is crap, I just think the Cable modem will be out everywhere long before we see ADSL in every home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by ando
    yes, can you tell us exactly what equipment is used and how DSL gets to your PC ? eg, does the phone cable go into your pc directly, or wha ?
    A box is installed on your wall. The box has two sockets. One is for your ordinary phone and the other is for your ADSL modem. An ordinary phone cable connects your ADSL modem to this wall box. Either an ethernet cable or a USB cable then connects your ADSL modem to your computer depending on which type of ADSL modem you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

Just adding up a few more things to what SkepticOne said.

Unless you get the DIY ADSL, the technician also has to setup your router/modem to connect, and deliver everything perfect.

The setup is basically checking that syncronizes with the central, that receives the packets, and the most important of them all, that it doesn't loose them (that's the main cause of bad ADSL installations). It's about an hour, hour and a half job.

There's a DIY pack from Nokia I think that it is used in various countries in Europe, to supply all the necessary in a bundle pack, and what you have to do is to install it yourself. This one is more of a "ADSL for Dummies" one, supposedly.

JamworkS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I dunno, everyone seems to see only the bad side of eircom, they are a company with alot of pi$$ed off shareholders and all companys are out to do the same thing, make profit. I think the adsl trials was a big step and im happy at the way its going, when they find out theres a $hit load of interest in it they will lower the price, also the trials were partly to see what the customer needed, the reason theres a 3 gig cap on the adsl release now is cause only 1% went over 3 gig, they prolly felt no one needs anymore.

give em a chance for goodness sake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just a few things:- layke, you're forgetting that eircom ftm still own the LLU, and claim to have 70% of their Dublin exchanges upgraded for DSL. Poor NTL seem to only have lines(albeit of better quality) in 3 major Dublin areas. Even if NTL did have the money tomorrow to pay the extortionate land prices to upgrade everywhere, red tape and stuck-up resident's associations would seriously delay that, such that eircom's ADSL would be out long before the Cable modem. 24.50 p/m Goddamn that's good. but it'll be a looong time before I personally will have the money to buy/rent in one of the areas upgraded for it :)

Interestingly though, it looks as though eircom are taking in the high rate users to ADSL first, which is expected. But they haven't (IMO) even tried to attempt to educate joe/jane soap,so where are their money-spinner(ie low-rate user) subscribers gonna come from? OK, so we do expect it to be a good while before broadband penetrates the average user, but from what I've seen of my non-savvy friends, NOONE knows what ADSL or i-stream is (in fact ISDN is the only 'internet-type-thingy' they know of from eircom), but they are vauguely(sic) aware of a 'super-fast, cheap and always on' package available from NTL. And plenty of households I know would embrace these (damn cheap) all-in-one packages no probem. After all, wouldn't you opt to get one bill instead of three separate ones?:)

Just my 2 cents :)

Originally posted by PiE

Its exactly as skeptic said. The box is tiny, its not even a box, more like a front panel with 2 phone jacks. The Alcatel USB modem looks like a flat fish (Apple have a lot to answer for in the design stakes;) ) and it also is fairly small. Once the phone jack is converted you could set the whole thing up yourself very easily.
    Originally posted by JamworkS
    Unless you get the DIY ADSL, the technician also has to setup your router/modem to connect, and deliver everything perfect.

The setup is basically checking that syncronizes with the central, that receives the packets, and the most important of them all, that it doesn't loose them (that's the main cause of bad ADSL installations). It's about an hour, hour and a half job.

Nah, thats rubbish :) After installing the splitter box (took about 10/20 mins , the setup consists of the engineer installing the modem drivers off the cd, installing the eircom connection software, clicking accept to the ToS a couple of times and making sure it connects. The whole procedure took about half an hour.

Due to OS and Computer upgrades, ive re-installed it twice now with no problems. its very straightforward.

Ah ok, thats fine thanks :)

Btw, I take it this is the Fishy looking modem?

the very one.

lol, "The lean green surfing machine". ffs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

Posted by Dustaz
    Nah, thats rubbish After installing the splitter box (took about 10/20 mins , the setup consists of the engineer installing the modem drivers off the cd, installing the eircom connection software, clicking accept to the ToS a couple of times and making sure it connects. The whole procedure took about half an hour.

;) At home, the installation took that long. If it didn't to you, fair play to Eircom :) .

JamworkS

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was talking to a very loyal €ircom employee(a friend of a friend) last night. I have some facts that everyone may or may not know already, but it always help to keep saying it.

27 exchanges in Dublin are ready for ADSL. NO exchanges outside Dublin are going to be touched until 6 months after the official launch(unless its held back more than 3 more months), and NO service is going to be offered outside Dublin for another 2-3 YEARS!!. :(

As above, the situation should be resolved by Feb at the latest. He seemed under the impression that it was being held up because competitors were complaining that the wholesale charge of £86 p/m was too low (?) :confused: but the real reason was because Esat aren't ready to offer ADSL services and so are trying to thwart €ircon's chances of getting there first. Maybe this is what they are telling their employees or maybe it's just his thoughts on it, I dunno.

As for the service itself, you already know. For the trials, installation, usage and modem are free. If you decide to keep it once it's properly launched, you still don't have to pay rental on the modem :) Cap is 3G, with a 2p charge for every MByte over that. He fully admitted that DACS boxes are in wide use and that most subscribers around the country will never get more than 33Kbps on 56K, and it's quite unlikely you'll be able to run ADSL through a DACS aswell :(

He also freely admitted that the point of these 'trials' is to secure customers, not trial the technology. So to be in with a chance, you want a PSTN line to yourself, closeish to the exchange, and all you poor sods who bought ISDN lines will have to go back and pay £100 (80 ex-vat) for a new PSTN. The gist of another one of his statements was - 'If you get above 43K on your line now and are on a compatible exchange, there is no reason why you can't get ADSL'. Line tests my @ss.

He refused to give me any documents instead wishing to proudly display his own mental knowledge of it. Of course he drew a blank when I mentioned LLU and FRIACO :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Anyone have a list of the 27 exchanges which are DSL ready?

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Maybe I'm naive, but I DO believe they perform some sort of line test when you talk to them. It seems daft to go through this charade if they don't. What do they stand to gain by lying about this? Bare minimum they need to check for DACS.

It's a ready-made excuse, you can't have a comeback against it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

all they have to say is 'the slots for this triall have been filled'.
    seems a lot simpler than pretending to faff about with line checks.

and we know they have to eliminate the possibility of DACS.

I think people are looking for a conspiracy where none exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Alanm

Originally posted by alastair
    Maybe I'm naive, but I DO believe they perform some sort of line test when you talk to them. It seems daft to go through this charade if they don't. What do they stand to gain by lying about this? Bare minimum they need to check for DACS.

I got a new line put in a week ago so that I could get on the trial. I have rung a few times and have been told that my number isn't in their database yet and that it can take up to 2-3 weeks before it will appear (something to do with a scan run every now and then?).

Basically, from what I was told today, all they do is query a database and it is already pre-populated with pass/fail - I could have picked it up wrong though!.
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

27 exchanges in Dublin are ready for ADSL. NO exchanges outside Dublin are going to be touched until 6 months after the official launch(unless its held back more than 3 more months), and NO service is going to be offered outside Dublin for another 2-3 YEARS!!.

If eircom are going to wait 2-3 years to hook up the rest of the country then they may as well not bother

me thinks that the cable companies will offer the wireless internet and will have taken a good foothold in two years if that happened.

So if your a person who is not living in privately rented accomodation which happens to have cable and your given the choice between wireless internet now or adsl in two years your going to go to the wireless

It works out cheaper than adsl too so eircom would be pretty stupid to wait two years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

27 exchanges in Dublin are ready for ADSL. NO exchanges outside Dublin are going to be touched until 6 months after the official launch(unless its held back more than 3 more months), and NO service is going to be offered outside Dublin for another 2-3 YEARS!!.

This might sound like a totally stupid question but im going to ask it n e way.

If a person liveing in the ass h0le of Ireland pays the same amount for calls/services as a person liveing in Dublin pays...
    are they not also entitled to the same quality of service provided by Eircon to the people in Dublin at the same time ? I TOTALLY! mean no offence to anyone in Dublin. But think about it. For years people from outside Dublin have been putting up with waiting for Eircom to make the same services available to them. An example of this is: I have a Eircom ISDN ok Eircom High-Speed line. I dial into my ISP and go to a game server and have a ping of 250 - 300+ . A guy in Dublin with a 56k Modem logs into the same server and has a 90 to 110 ping. EG: 2 We both log into the same site to download a 5meg file. His 56k connection gets 5.8KB.sec and i get 6.4KBsec. We both have the same ISP.... ?
    This is an issue i have brought to Eircom b 4 on several occasions. One Eircom reply i got was that some people have better lines than others.... DOH! Ok i admit to being an idiot. But why do we accept this as standard ? I know there are loads of Teccy! things can be said about this but b 4 ye reply. Ask yourself this.... if you were from a pore family and scrimped and saved and paid £40 for a square of Chocolate and someone else from a rich family paid the same amount but got a much bigger square of it.... how would you feel ? I know the way i put that was CRAP! But anyone who has been through this will understand exactly what i mean. Ok i know i going to get a lot of FLACK from the Tech guys out there. Cant do this becaouse of that ETC. But the thing is.... Why NoT ?? And if not can we not pay less ?

MS

Waiting for post to be removed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If eircom are going to wait 2-3 years to hook up the rest of the country then they may as well not bother

As with my comments to Boston, I think this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. In fact, I think all IrelandOffline members should really take the salt cellar with them when they're going to phone Eircom. Maybe even a value pack from Aldi. There's an awful lot of guff coming out of the Eircom call centre, probably through unintentional ignorance and disinformation inside Eircom.

me thinks that the cable companies will offer the wireless internet and will have taken a good foothold in two years if that happened.

Although just like everything else it's not guaranteed, I think there's a better than average chance of consumer and SME FWA taking off big time in Ireland, and I get the feeling the Regulator feels the same way. It's an imperfect solution that could lead to a lot of interference across the radio spectrum and plenty of tantrums because of that, but it's something that will drive competition hard.

Eircom, the OLO's and the cableco's will be forced to compete if FWA starts happening to any reasonable level, but it really needs someone to kickstart the process, and that's obviously not going to be Chorus. IrishWAN will give people a kick in the teeth if it gets up-and-running though. All those people getting the Internet for cost? There'll be burst blood vessels in the boardrooms! :)

It works out cheaper than adsl too so eircom would be pretty stupid to wait two years

At certain levels, Eircom's stupidity is immeasureable fcddunne...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

clam down, i can rmember the rumors that adsl would just be south dublin, and only 9 exchanges. you will probably see adsl in limerick then cork, within afew months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

If Eircom don't get DSL of some sort rolled out in Cork, Limerick and Galway etc they'll be in serious trouble politically.
    There's a general election comming up!! Have then ANY idea how upset Cork people will get if they don't launch it asap. It won't matter if they haven't even heard of DSL or even own a PC or Mac, if eircom are refusing to offer a service to a Cork customer they may as well just pull out of the 02 area. The entire county will switch to esat/chorus or whoever.

Also it would be a clear breech of their universal service obligations. They can argue that it's more difficult to roll out in rural areas, but in major urban areas they have no logical argument other than that they're trying to hold things up. In a case like tha the ODTR would have no choice but to start implementing whatever sanctions she has.

10% of their turnover wouldn't be a bad start!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

clam down, i can rmember the rumors that adsl would just be south dublin, and only 9 exchanges. you will probably see adsl in limerick then cork, within afew months.

it might be in limerick some time next year but if they are going to charge 150 notes a month for it they can ram it

It wont sell for that price here cos something similar is here for 40 notes a month from Chorus

I know the criteria for people wishing to sign up for Chorus' powernet is screwed up but not everyone is prevented from getting it just a select few.

150 pounds for using a bit of wire is a joke and eircom need to realise that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Pragmatica

it is craft abuser ploy from your abuser ...

he abuses u by offering something that u really want ... but ur being abused before u get it ... like the child ... u dont know how ur being abused ... and it will have bad effects later ...

the abuser only ofers the trials so he can string u along longer in his abusive activity ...

like the child ... u do not want a toy car for christmas when your being offered a ps2 by ur abuser ...

remeber the car that is yours to use but ur abuser keeps it to himself and the ps2 that you'll never get to touch ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ooooooooh Kaaaaay........
    I think i see what you mean.... :)

About not being able to get ADSL over ISDN, according to Alcatel (the crowd supplying the feckin adapters......)
    fromhere:
    ADSL stands for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line. This technology allows you to use the whole bandwidth of a standard telephone copper cabling.

While the POTS ( Plain Old Telephone Service ) uses the frequencies between 300 and 3100Hz, the higher frequencies normally remain unused. ADSL uses the frequencies between 30KHz and 1.1MHz to transport data, leaving your telephone connection, as crystal and pure as ever.

ADSL can be easily and seamlessly combined with the existing ISDN lines. So no need to worry, if you already have one.

Also I highly disagree with the use of DACS lines.
    I'm basically paying for a static IP (my phone number) and bandwidth (when I make a phone call). The DACS box halfs your bandwidth. This has two effects:
    (1) you get a max of 28.8kbps (may show as 31200bps in windows, but don't kid yourself)
    (2) it degrades the quality sound on the line.
    It is actually quite hard to hear people on our phone at home because of this DACS line and I've had people ask me to speak up!?! I have a loudish voice normally so this was quite a shock the first time.

I Have rang Errorcom's 'help desk' (hollow laughter in backgroud) several times asking them to please 'fix it'(deliberately not asking anything too technical for fear of frying the dumb ignorant arrogant Biatch's mind), then explaining that this was in breach of the service contract, then demanding they remove it, then threatening to go to Chorus if they didn't comply with my demands (which were reasonable i felt - I simply wanted the level of service I was paying for). To the threat i was furnished with the mobile number of the telecoms engineer, whom I rang and asked to remove the DACS box from my house. Was told he'd be out that monday (this was friday/saturday). He never showed up.
    He did say however that there was a 'shortage' of copper cable, and that is why they use DACS boxes.

Bovine Faeces I say.

Prehaps they wouldn't listen to me on the phone, but by fluck they'll listen to me mother when she starts ranting that she can't talk easily on the phone and that it's costing her business money because customers can't hear her over the phone and she can't send email fast enough and she can't afford ISDN and ADSL would suit her business down to the ground but she can't get it because of the DACS box and bitch moan whinge bitch moan whine etc.
    Should be fun :)

*for reasons of clarity of purpose place inverted commas around each instance of the word business above*

Advertisement