Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PowerDVD 4 (XP)

• 01-12-2001 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭

I've never ever in all my years using computers been so staggered and impressed by a peice of software...but today i was...really.

Been using various DVD software players, be it windvd, ravisent/cinemaster etc for the last three years or so, and the better ones were all pretty good, nothing really stood out...but

Today i downloaded PowerDVD4 and was literally blown away.

I listen to music videos and watch DVDs literally all the time on a set of quality headphones (SennheiserHD565 Ovation) because i like to listen without bothering others.

Well...listening today. for the first 10 mins or so i kept removing them as i was completly positive my surround speakers MUST be blaring out..truely amazing..

Honestly, this is a staggering peice of software..if only from the audiophile point on view..there are a million other enhancements but this just litterally left me breathless..and that..isnt likely to happen again sometime soon..amazing..buy it!!

Anyhow more info in this
    =============================
    WHAT'S NEW IN POWERDVD XP 4.0
    =============================

For more details and further explanations of each function, refer to the online
    help or user's guide.

Audio

* Certified multi-channel DTS digital surround decoder to play DTS DVD-titles and
    DTS Audio CDs. (*)

* Dolby Pro Logic II decoder that processes stereo sources such as MP3, Audio CD,
    Video CD, Super Video CD and LPCM/MPEG Audio DVD into surround sound in a
    multi-speaker environment. (*)

* SRS TruSurroundXT(tm), an audio package containing TruSurround, Focus and TruBass,
    provides enhanced virtual surround sound and virtual bass experience through
    2 speakers. (*)

* Allows interactive virtual speakers positioning by utilizing A3D and Microsoft
    DirectSound3D technologies.

* Supports Dolby Digital Dynamic Range Control for Quiet, Normal or Noisy environments.
    Also useful for boosting the audible volume on a notebook or laptop.

* Option to mix Low Frequency Effect for headphones, 2- and 4-speaker systems.

* Supports 8-channel sound cards like Guillemot GameTheater XP to play DVD titles with
    Dolby Digital Surround EX tracks and provides 8 discrete audio channels output. (*)

* Supports DTS/Dolby Digital multi-channel or SPDIF output under Windows XP and
    Windows 2000 (with Service Pack 2 installed) in Microsoft WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE
    interface. (*)

Note(*): Full multi-channel DTS/Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II decoder,
    Dolby Headphone and SRS TruSurroundXT features are all optional and may not
    be available in your PowerDVD XP version.

Video

* Full range video adjustments including newly added contrast and saturation controls
    along with original brightness, yellow/blue and red/green controls.

* Four default video profiles : Original, Vivid, Bright, and Theater.

* The ability to create, define and save video profiles of your own!

* New Microsoft DirectX Video Acceleration WHQL certified. Supports DVD video playback
    by utilizing hardware MPEG video decoding circuits in ATI, Intel, NVidia, PowerVR
    and SiS display chips/integration chipsets under Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows ME
    and Windows 98.

* Supports full range of dual view display cards such as ATI Radeon 8500/7500, Radeon VE,
    NVidia GeForce2 MX/MX200/MX400 and Matrox series.

* Enhanced screen capture by utilizing CyberLink's proprietary interpolation technology.
    Option of capturing as original DVD video frame size (video source) or current video
    window size is available.

* Enhanced video de-interlacer and UV up-sampler.

* Widescreen monitors are supported with correct aspect ratio display of 16:9 movies
    and letterboxed 4:3 movies.

Playback Formats

* Supports playback of all DVD formats: DVD Video, DVD Video Recording (on DVD-RAM
    or DVD-RW), cDVD (DVD on CD-R/RW), cdDVD, and miniDVD.

* Supports playback of Super Video CD and Video CD 2.0 discs.

* DVD files can be played and previewed directly from any folder in your HDD.

* Compatible with new DVD-RAM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+RW or DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive with
    1394, ATAPI, SCSI or Card Bus interface.
    <too much more to include here>

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement