Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SiSoft Sandra Professional (CPU TEMP)

• 02-12-2001 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how accurate the CPU temperture readings in
    SiSoft are?
    If it's fairly accurate,what are the readings below like,should they be lower/higher.

Board Temp -24.1C/75.4F

CPU Temp-32.5C/90.5F

Power/Aux Temp-50.2C/122.4F

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Actually, where exactly did you find that part?
    How do you enable it?
    Is it motherboard specicif?
    what version of Sandra areyou using?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

ok......its version 2001te Professional (Version 2001.5.8.11)

Under Information modules....then Mainboard Information.

Mobo Specific.....Well its giving me the info to the exact mobo
    I'm using.......but I don't know how accurate it is hence the question on the CPU temp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It usually matches up with the temperatures reported in your pc's bios, so I'd say its fairly accurate in that sense. Perhaps you are asking how accurate the sensors are? Well on an athlon, the real cpu temperature is a few degrees higher, since the sensor is in the cpu socket, and may not even be touching the cpu. The board temp is normally fairly accurate.

I meant to reply back to this earlier,sorry for dragging it back up again.

Ok...........while stitting in the bios for about 30mins CPU temp is reading 46.C climbing to 51.C.
    Then if I boot into windows SiSoft reading is 33.C up to about 37.C
    Is this good or bad.............i'm thinking bad. If bad what can I add to the case to improve it.

Specs are..........

Athlon 1.4
    KT7A Mobo
    Taisol CGK760092 Heatsink/Fan

Enlight Case 300w (just the 1 fan on PSU)
    1 Case fan.

Thats pretty bad, you should remove the thermal pad from your taisol if you have not already done so, and use thermal paste instead. You can remove the pad with meths.

Use via hardware monitor to look at your temperatures in windows, its on the abit cd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ouch.
    Running a 1.2 on the Kt7a and it idles at ~30 in the BIOS, maxes at about 44c under load.
    It should never rise in the BIOS since the system is practically Idle.
    It may be reaching but it is still possible that Sisoft is accurate, if you are using Win2k or XP anyway.
    [unlikely theory] It's possible your BIOS is corrupt and for some reason is keeping the CPU active (hence the heat rise), but win2k and Xp use ACPI to send halt-state commands to your CPU (much like Rain and the myriad of other software cpu 'coolers') to cool it.[/unlikely theory]
    Not likely but just a thought. I'd update the BIOS just to be sure if 'twer me.

Originally posted by Gerry
    Thats pretty bad, you should remove the thermal pad from your taisol if you have not already done so, and use thermal paste instead. You can remove the pad with meths.

Use via hardware monitor to look at your temperatures in windows, its on the abit cd.

The pad was removed and then cleaned with meths,and artic silver used as well.
    I'll remove the heatsink again and reseat it.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I get about 19-20Degrees a few minutes after starting up, and then it settles to 29-31degrees just after a game of FLashpoint/CS/Quake3/Max Payne.
    It's a P3 Cu 800 (100 FSB) running at 102fsb (824Mhz).
    I reckon I'd get it up to 900 withut much hassle
    Ran it at 894 for a while (112fsb) but it locked up.
    Might want to reduce the CAS on the ram - only makes a 1fps differene in games anways....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Replying for Legion

I am worried about the high temperature, and wondering what i can do. At the moment i am running FSB of 133 mhz, and if I was to reduce this to 100 mhz, do you think this would lower the temperature significantly?

Any other suggestions etc, welcome on how to reduce the temperature.

Thanks in advance.

Right. Theres no point in reducing the fsb, that will run the chip at 1050mhz, and you paid for a 1.4ghz chip.

The 44 to 51 degrees temperature you describe would be normal for a 1.4ghz chip, UNDER FULL LOAD. For a chip thats doing nothing, sitting in the bios, its a bit high ok.

Theres a possibility that you have too thick a layer of arctic silver on the chip. Run some form of stressful program on the cpu, and look at the temperatures with via hardware monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

A couple of points and a question or two:

What version of the BIOS are you using?

Recent version have disable the CPU idling feature that used to result in lower temperature in Windoze when processor load was low, but not any more to improve the stability of the CPU under Windoze.

Interestingly the BIOS temperature (PC Health) are actually close to the HIGHEST you're likely to see, as the CPU is not idled in BIOS...

I have the latest BIOS version (64) on my KT7a, and now have my 1.0 GHz Athlon AXIA 'Y' rock solid at 1.466 GHz (FSB=133, Multiplier at 11x - can't get any more out of the FSB though...), hitting a max of about 43 deg C running SETI@Home (non-graphical version) non-stop 24/7.

As for cooling, I have a Taisol 760092 (Copper bottomed guy) with my rear case fan reversed to blow cold air into the case & over the HSF - got a major benefit in doing it this way! Using Artic Silver (2, I think/hope) btw the CPU & HSF.

Hope this helps.
    MK.

An interesting point, however the temperature in the bios reflects the cpu not doing anything. The full load temperature will still be a little bit higher.

I presume legion is using the standard kt7a bios, I've built many machines with this board and they have idled the cpu at a significantly lower temperature than full load (say 32 idle 50 full load for example)

Now windows 2000 and xp will idle your cpu much cooler than 95/95/me, since they automatically run a halt thread at idle priority, the same as the many cpu cooling programs you will find on the net.

Ok Gerry,I'll to that test on it.

afaik, the latest bios are installed,I didn't set this up myself but i'll check it out.(I just put the parts together)

As for the artic silver on the cpu, when i was putting it on I might have been a bit generous with the application of it,I didn't want to be to scabby and not put enough on.I also put some on the bottom of the heatsink as well.

I'll post back and let you know how it goes,but it won't be until next week sometime.

Btw.............is this the right forum for this or should it be in HW Tweaking?

I'd say here is fine.

Advertisement