Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Blofeld... er I mean Bill Gates... XP?

• 02-12-2001 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

New comp contains Windows XP. Costs 20 quid to change to have '98 instead, so I'm getting it with XP. If necessary I can change to Win 98 using an old CD. Couple of XP questions then.

First of all I know the admins' position on warez, so [DISCLAIMER] I do not in any way endorse illegal copying of Satan's... er Bill Gates'... software.

Just how poweful is XP's security? Can I use an Office XP CD that I got for my last computer? I have the codes for it. :confused:

Secondly will it actually run my games and programs even if they are legal? Around the fire at Halloween, I heard horror stories that made my blood run cold... stories of vicious error messages with terrifying beep noises, and the unthinkable loneliness of life without HL mods. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

For the moment anyway it will run everything fine even if you disable the Product Activation (very easy, have a look on Google).

But remember that if you disable it, even if you own that copy of XP, you are breaking the EULA. However, there was an interesting case last week where some judge in the US ruled that the EULA did not prevent people from reselling the software after purchase (traditional MS licensing implies that when you click "Yes" to the EULA, you can't do jack ****).

MS make big arguments trying to stop people sellign old copies of Windows - original copies that is. However, the change in the law doesn't have anything to with the EU yet because once again we are in the backwater of the technology world.

So you will be violating the EULA by disabling the Activation.

Also, you have no idea whether it will still work with said disabling after MS release a Service Pack or something. For example, they change things enough that the Internet Explorer eradicator program works on Windows 200 Service Pack 1, but they fux0red everything in Service Pack 2.......

Advertisement