Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemmell's Ravenheart

Options
  • 03-12-2001 1:29am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ravenheart is set in the Rigante universe, in an age of cannon and muskets, with the old order giving way to a new. Gemmell's style is still heroic fantasy initially focusing on 2 youths growing to adulthood and the choices they make. The secondary characters are especially well drawn, to the extent one even eclipses the hero at the end.
    The usual Gemmell flaw of poor endings is side stepped by making this a 2-parter.
    Recommended 4/5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Did you copy and paste that, cos you could have given the link to the review like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No, the poor grammer and wooden style make it all my own, as I am sure your boorishness is likewise your enduring characteristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Cheers, been meaning to get this for a while, will now

Question, I'm a big Gemmell fan but find his themes very repetitive, how's this one?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Same as pretty much all his other books. It's okay, no great shakes.

Originally posted by Manach
    No, the poor grammer and wooden style make it all my own, as I am sure your boorishness is likewise your enduring characteristic.

A well worded insult is still an insult, but Ill live on *sniff*, I won't let that stop me in my interminable struggle for peace among mankind *sniff*.;)

Seriously though, I didn't notice the grammar mistakes, and I've seen worse reviews (understatement) so forgive me for thinking your writing quality a high enough standard to be a copy and paste job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sorry Baz_ for over-reacting a tad to your fair comment. :o
    The last time I sent in a review about a Gemmell book, people complained I gave away the ending. Sigh.

tis okay manach, it appears i overreacted to your "insult" too. It wasn't really an insult you were just saying it as you saw it, and when I look back on my reply it was quite boorish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Read nd very much enjoyed Ravenheart, next book in the series, "StormRider" is out now, am not too far into it.

Action from the start gets you in the mood for more Blood on Sword action...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye, read te entire series. tis very good alright

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I love David Gemmell's novels, but the problem is that I've been reading them for so many years, I can never figure out (from the quick description on the book's slieve) whether I've already read them or not...

Is Ravenheart a new DG novel? Is it available on paperback?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I always have the same prob so I dunno :)

i think it's the 2nd or 3rd in the rigante series, couldn't be sure though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dagerbil

What ever about the book, the relationship between Manach and Baz was truely engrossing! Please, continue... Shall we be treated to a soap opera style tete a tete, will there be a shared grandfather in the mists of time, will one save the others life by donating a kidney/bone marrow??? Please, share more with us!

Advertisement