Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus in the BMW regions

Options
  • 03-12-2001 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

I have just sent my reply to an ODTR Spectrum Management document but before I did I went through loads of other ODTR documents looking for information when I found this bit on page 6 of this document http://www.odtr.ie/docs/odtr0176.doc

"One of the other broadband FWA licensees is Chorus who applied for and were awarded £17.1 million from the Government’s national development plan to provide FWA services to the regions, in particular the BMW region including towns Castlebar, Ballina, Sligo, Donegal, Letterkenny and Buncrana. Chorus have started offering their services in parts of the country and are working on the roll out of their network. "

So who in these locations got FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) broadband ?

DM

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

So who in these locations got FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) broadband?

FWA is probably available in all of them Damien, and as you probably know it's available in Cork. However, Chorus are selling FWA as a "wireless leased line", with charges to match. This all comes back to a fundamental difference of opinion on the meaning of the word broadband. To the government, a good portion of the media, and representative organisations - such as the Chambers of Commerce and IBEC - broadband means "leased lines" and "fibre". To us, it means DSL, cable, and lower-priced FWA and VSAT. This needs to be corrected.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

The TLA 'FWA' has nothing to do with 'Access' or providing a needed service to the public or anthing altruistic or useful.

Especially if a Cable Operator is for sale, such as Chorus.

FWA stands for

**** Wireless Anyway

M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by dahamsta
    [BFWA is probably available in all of them Damien, and as you probably know it's available in Cork.[/B]

I live in Ballina. Sometime in the last year, I rang Chorus about FWA when I found out that I can't have ISDN. They told me that they had no short-term plans to roll it out, but they'd let me know. In the meantime, Eircom can't even offer me narrowband on their FWA service, never mind broadband (and I'm only four miles from the mast, and I can see it from here).

I remember thinking at the time that the granting of these licenses should be conditional on them actually offering the services in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Anyone else submit their views on that Spectrum document, deadline was today at 4pm. I gave my personal views anyway. :)

Its still crazy that they got so much money and did nothing with it. Does the NDP not have some sort of policy that the money has to provide something which will actually be used ?

I'm sure theres something in those grants saying that people have to be using the system. Chorus Answer: Theres two people and so we follow the rules....

Gah, you win again... for now.

Ah yeah. After someone sitting me down and explaining it to me slowly I've copped on. My impression with FWA was that it was wireless broadband for home and business users, whereas it can also be wireless leased lines.

And thats what its used for. Ho hum.

DM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by yellum
    My impression with FWA was that it was wireless broadband for home and business users, whereas it can also be wireless leased lines.

I read about the FWA licenses a couple of months ago and got similarly hot and bothered :) My understanding is that Chorus have the license to supply everyone with broadband (home users, small business) but so far the home users haven't got anything. If their license is the supply of wireless leased lines to business then fine. If their license is for all wireless access and they are using their monopoly to only offer the more expensive products then there is a problem and I'm surprised the ODTR let it happen in a newly regulated arena.
    Originally posted by yellum
    Does the NDP not have some sort of policy that the money has to provide something which will actually be used ?

Yes, there is a NDP sticker that goes on everything.

My train in the morning is provided by the NDP.
    The station is provided by the NDP.
    My bus is provided by the NDP.

Does the transmitter have a sticker saying it was provided by the NDP? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry to stray off-topic, but...

I have to say, every time I read the thread title, I think: "Where are the BMW regions? Does he mean North County Dublin?" :)

adam

Border Midlands and Wesht for those that don't know. Its a big enough area actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Takes in a bloody big area - Connaught, bits of North Leinster, bits of Munster

Advertisement